E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My 545 sounds freakin' good

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Wow, it's been a while. Been working on it on and off for a year, been busy with lots of other stuff, but it's finally done, and I didn't want to show it off until it was. I put a comprehensive writeup on my CarDomain site, along with 200+ pics and a detailed description of how I installed the system:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312439

So if you have questions like 'how did I make that piece of trim', and 'how did I fit THAT in THERE?', please check out that link first. But then post here.

I put 15 pics in the local gallery also, here are a few:

Old 05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

really impressive setup

Viewing/reading your cardomain site now
Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

WOW,WOW,WOW, I read you cardomoin and you did a VERY GOOD job for not knowing anything about audio installation. Just a question, why didnt you buil a fiberglass box instead of the wooden one because it is so damn heavy. I have a fosgate t1 15 inch with the wooden box and it is really heavy. Also, how is you spikes, do you lights bounce to your music? Also, I see you used a 300 amp fuse, where did you get that? Also, where did you ground and what gauge wire did you use? Also, how did you power the neons?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Awesome job Nick!! We missed you at the last Bay Area meet and I didn't get to check out your system at the first meet. Hopefully next time. Everything looks top notch.

Doesn't the Dinan CAI look sweet?? Did you also get the throttle body? I think I might get those bimmian/ultimate pedals also.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by houbmw' post='284512' date='May 18 2006, 09:49 PM
WOW,WOW,WOW, I read you cardomoin and you did a VERY GOOD job for not knowing anything about audio installation. Just a question, why didnt you buil a fiberglass box instead of the wooden one because it is so damn heavy. I have a fosgate t1 15 inch with the wooden box and it is really heavy. Also, how is you spikes, do you lights bounce to your music? Also, I see you used a 300 amp fuse, where did you get that? Also, where did you ground and what gauge wire did you use? Also, how did you power the neons?
Thanks. I looked into doing a fiberglass box but nobody recommends making them that big in a standalone configuration. Plus with the 70-pound sub facing forward, wood is best for bolting it in. Plus the MDF makes it easier to screw things onto it, which is real useful with all the crap I had to put there. I could have done plexiglass, but I would have had to contract it out to this guy in Sacramento who specializes in it, and it would have cost like $1500.

I get no spikes at all, voltage is pretty constant from 12-14, and only goes below 13.5 when the bass is really thumpin'. The alt in the E60 is 170 amps, so that's why.

I got all my wiring and fuses from sounddomain.com, they have everything. Wiring was 0 guage from the battery, then I sent it through a bunch of distro blocks. Grounding was separate for each component, as needed.

For the neons and a bunch of smaller components that needed minimal power, I just made them come directly off a relay I had (30 amps). There's a good close-up pic of the right side of the sub box on the CD page where you can see how I did it.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='284516' date='May 18 2006, 09:56 PM
Awesome job Nick!! We missed you at the last Bay Area meet and I didn't get to check out your system at the first meet. Hopefully next time. Everything looks top notch.

Doesn't the Dinan CAI look sweet?? Did you also get the throttle body? I think I might get those bimmian/ultimate pedals also.
Yeah, I got the throttle body also. It's nice to see your car evolve with all the new goodies. I think you were the first around here to get the Dinan parts, no? I was impressed with the completely useless but nice-looking carbon fiber on the intake. At least when I heard Dinan speak at Bimmerfest '06, that's what he said.

I'll definitely be there for the next meet. (I'm gonna be away for a week in August, I'll try to firm that up ASAP).
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Awesome 545
Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

You did a superb join!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Merzbow' post='284525' date='May 18 2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I got the throttle body also. It's nice to see your car evolve with all the new goodies. I think you were the first around here to get the Dinan parts, no? I was impressed with the completely useless but nice-looking carbon fiber on the intake. At least when I heard Dinan speak at Bimmerfest '06, that's what he said.

I'll definitely be there for the next meet. (I'm gonna be away for a week in August, I'll try to firm that up ASAP).
I think I may have been the first around here to get all three performance parts (exhaust, CAI, throttle body). still craving for more...

Your set up makes me want to dive into my sound system also but I'm really trying to stay away from that. I'll just live vicariously through you. Really looking forward to hearing/seeing everything.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Members

Great taste in music too dude. Three 6 Mafia "late night tip"=one of the best rap songs EVERRR

Quick Reply: My 545 sounds freakin' good