E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My 535xi Touring is now a 535i Touring: AWD to RWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default My 535xi Touring is now a 535i Touring: AWD to RWD Conversion

My wagon is low and it puts added stress on the CV axles, I have gone through a few boots and 1 complete axle replacement so far. While driving out to SEMA a wobble developed and when I got back home the inner driver side joint was toast, literally toasty from all the unlubricated friction. I have neglected a torn boot and it bit back. Instead of shelling out big bucks ($1,200) for the oem units I found some through BuyAutoParts which cost $230/pr and had a 1 year warranty. After installing the new CVs the inner splines didn't want to stay seated and after a less than 2 mile test-drive I already had grease being flung around the steering knuckle, it was obvious my lowered car REALLY put the CVs under abnormal stress.

I liked the xi system both from a performance and capability perspective. My wagon would put ALL the power down ALL the time, I rarely launched it after I started to make "more serious" power but I would describe the experience similar to a Bentley or another very large, very heavy vehicle with a very large amount of power, it just went. Even when I had a jb4 and a few bolt-ons I could brake-boost launch in the rain without a DSC intervention. Not to mention slapping on the Blizzaks for snow duty. Unfortunately the axles were not playing well with my car so it was time for something new.

The transfer case was left in place as removing it would require a different transmission and driveshaft. I also reused the splined portion of the outer CV joint along with the axle nut to hold the bearing and steering knuckle together, which saved me from needing a new knuckle, bearing, torsion strut, etc. Removed was the front drive shaft, differential, and CV axles.

I coded my vehicle order in the CAS and LMA modules, removing $203. After coding I cleared all stored module errors with INPA and went for a test drive. After the car was warm and appeared to be driving normal I gave it some boost in 1st and second gear, I am happy to report that traction control appears to be working as it should, intervening while active and letting the tires break free when off. The car is definitely a different beast.

As time and space allows I will test the DSC system while cornering, I would also like to mount a GoPro to film the transfer case output flange to confirm it isn't spinning under any circumstance, lastly a dyno session will be in order to confirm the expected jump in WHP.

I will update as I log more time behind the wheel. Here are some pictures of the process.

Evan

Diff fluid, original AFAIK (105,000).

Definitely some metal bits in there!

Toasted and Roasted CV

Drivetrain removed

Dissecting outer joint

Cleaned and ready for the reincarnation.

Weight savings! I can see the transfer case weighing a ton but the shafts and diff were not too heavy, which explains there relative weakness.

Last edited by JayArras; 12-04-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

...not sure why the whole post isn't showing. Here is a link to hold you over until the Mods or I get this sorted...

My 535xi Touring is now a 535i Touring: AWD to RWD Conversion - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
Old 12-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Try reposting. There's no problem at this end.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

JayArras,

I copy and posted the entire post and when clicking preview only what you see in the OP comes up, I have tried adding the post in segments, and even from different devices (iOS vs PC) with no luck.

Waiting 12 hours has also not helped, anything else I should try?

Evan
Old 12-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Evan, I edited your original post to include the missing sections. I copied content from the link you provided.

I don't understand what happened, but suspect there was a problem with your use of the "less than" symbol in your first paragraph. It is a reserved command in the forum software and anything after it is ignored.

At any rate, I restored the original post using the content from the link you provided. Let me know if you want me to delete the other posts describing this problem.

Last edited by JayArras; 12-04-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Evan, I edited your original post to include the missing sections. I copied content from the link you provided.

I don't understand what happened, but suspect there was a problem with your use of the "less than" symbol in your first paragraph. It is a reserved command in the forum software and anything after it is ignored.

At any rate, I restored the original post using the content from the link you provided. Let me know if you want me to delete the other posts describing this problem.
Awesome, thanks for the support, it is much appreciated!

Evan
Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

crazy.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hey guys, so a little of an update on this.

After some continued time driving the car it looks like the DSC and transfer case are still active, I popped into a local shop and the dyno was available so I jumped on it. When trying to dyno in RWD the "4x4" and DSC errors popped up and the car would cut all power. I ended up pulling fuse F78 for the transfer case and that allowed us to put power down but it was about 100whp less (545awhp vs 455rwhp) than my previous AWD run so obviously something was up. We called the dyno session off but I had some good data to work with. Spending some more time behind the wheel confirmed that power was down with the fuse pulled but with it in place things seemed more normal but still not 100% performance, when roasting the tires in 1st from a roll you could feel the drivetrain doing something.

I have pulled and decoded my full VO, collected all the codes I could pull with my JB4 and INPA, and also looked up all the modules which might come into play with this issue. My continued research shows that I should recalibrate my steering wheel sensor. The other area of concern is my transfer case as it is still connected, it looks like VGSG is the Transfer Case Control Unit so I will look around in there and see what the options are. Hopefully I can bypass the transfer case electronically, if I there isn't anything in the module to code I may physically unplugging the TC actuator and see what impact that has. It seems like resetting the the transmission adaptation would be a good thing to do so it can relearn without the added drag of the front wheel, I noticed my downshifts were a little lackadaisical compared to before.

If anyone has any suggestions please advise, in the meantime I will continue to tinker!
Evan

Here is my VO:
E61_#0308&LCGE%0300*PT73$1CA
$203 4 Traction System
$205 Heat Package
$248 Leather Heated Steering Wheel
$2SC Style 243 Wheels
$2VB TPC
$302 Theft Alarm with Remote
$316 Auto Trunk Lid Control
$319 Integrated Universal Remote Control
$322 Comfort Access
$346 Chrome-line Exterior
$354 Anti-glare windshield strip
$386 Roof Rails
$402 Electric Panoramic Roof
$417 Side Window Sun Blind, Rear Door Mechanical
$430 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
$431 Interior Mirror (Photo Sensitive)
$438 Precious Real Wood Treatment
$441 Smoker’s Package
$442 Beverage Holder
$456 Comfort Seats
$464 Ski Rack
$473 Front Armrest
$493 Storage (Oddments) Package
$494 Heated Driver/Passenger Seats
$502 Headlight Washers
$508 PDC
$522 Xenon Headlights
$524 Driving Lights Control
$534 Climate Control
$544 Individualization
$563 Illuminated Make-up Mirror
$609 Navigation with TV and On-Board computer
$620 Voice Control
$639 USA/CAN Mobile Phone Prep
$645 US Radio
$655 BMW Bavaria C Business
$676 Premium Audio
$694 Pre Wiring for CD Changer
$697 Auto Telephone Antenna
$6AA Rear DVD Prep
$6AB Control for Teleservices
$6FL USB Audio Interface
$6UH Traffic Info
$823 Tropical Country Export
$845 Audible Seat Belt Warning Signal
$850 Self-Leveling Air Suspension
$853 English Language
$876 Radio Frequency 315Mhz
$8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distribution
$925 Shipping Protection Package
$992 Coordination License Plate Attachment
$9AA Outer Skin Protection
-B110+HADS

Here are some VOs which may pertain to my conversion, at this point all I have done was remove $203:
$203 4-wheel drive
$210 DSC III
$211 DSC
$209 Differential Lock (Interesting for a RWD future)
$212 ABS Discontinued
$213 Auto Stability Control
$214 ASC + Traction

Here are some codes I pulled with my JB4, these were stored from fuse removal so please keep that in mind as I plan to make the car 100% operational with F78 in place.
CDAD Required Road Torque Driveline
CDA1 Steering Wheel Angle
CD98 Torque Requirement DSC, B6
CDA5 Status DSC, 19E
CDBE Idle Speed Control, Bank 2

After looking up the Modules, these are the ones which pertain, bold indicate my E61 has the module:
ASC Active Stability Control
EGS Electronic Control Unit
AGS Adaptive Transmission Control
ASC All Season Control
ASC + T ASC + Traction
SZL Steering Column Switch Sensor (Steering Angle)
VGSG Transfer Box Control Unit
BDSC Stability Control Module

Lastly here are the available modules on my E61:

Here is the dyno run with F78 pulled, notice the power cut around 4,000rpm.

Lastly, what the TC looks like.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

M5 drive shaft and flex disc arrived today.

535i Flex Disc = 105mm bolt hole spacing
M5 Flex Disc = 110mm bolt hole spacing
...so I am anticipating the need for an M5 output flange from a manual M5 as well.

My understanding is the main bearing-to-differential portion should bolt right in but the front section will need to be customized (lengthened) to mate with the N54.

535i Manual Driveshaft = 1631mm
M5 Manual Driveshaft = 1526mm

I looked into running a hybrid setup with the front being from a 535i and rear from an M5 but I think the spline and main bearing are a slightly larger diameter.

With the M5 LSD my ratio will jump from 3.46 to 3.62. I did some math and revs at highway cruising speeds will be tolerable and 130mph should be obtainable when wringing out 4th gear. Most importantly the grip of an LSD will be very welcomed as I am going from 4 wheels down to 2. Shifting more frequently doesn't bother me at all since it will all be controlled with my left foot.

Evan

Old 01-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

I snagged a 535i AT rear axle off eBay. The car had 70k on it I paid $42 shipped. After cleaning up the splines and threads I noticed that the threads had been damaged, this is unfortunate since this axle was in great functional condition. Time to find another.

Evan

Quick Reply: My 535xi Touring is now a 535i Touring: AWD to RWD Conversion