E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Must Have Mods for stock 2007 550i

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving around in a reliable, but highly unfullfilling four cylinder Japanese sedan, I picked up my first ever BMW last week, a fresh off lease 2007 550i. It's all stock, but has most every factory option. Sport, cold weather, logic 7, navigation, etc.

For what its worth, I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual. However, I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and have no problem reading up on something or getting my hands dirty.

I have read an insane amount of threads in the past week. I understand that there are thousands of possibilities, and I also now that everyone has their own taste when it comes to mods.

My question is this: If you were me, and just picked up this vehicle, what would your short list of improvements/mods be?

I'm interested in hearing anything from several thousand dollar exhaust kits to fifty dollar led license plate lights.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

I can help with mods, congrats on the 550
Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Contributors

In order on how I would do it,
Wheels, Suspension, RPI exhaust, Body Kit
Happy Modding

Hit up Nerweezy or Joe over at Trinity for all of the above!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i 20" Forgestar F14 Black

Originally Posted by ryan60isu
After driving around in a reliable, but highly unfullfilling four cylinder Japanese sedan, I picked up my first ever BMW last week, a fresh off lease 2007 550i. It's all stock, but has most every factory option. Sport, cold weather, logic 7, navigation, etc.

For what its worth, I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual. However, I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and have no problem reading up on something or getting my hands dirty.

I have read an insane amount of threads in the past week. I understand that there are thousands of possibilities, and I also now that everyone has their own taste when it comes to mods.

My question is this: If you were me, and just picked up this vehicle, what would your short list of improvements/mods be?

I'm interested in hearing anything from several thousand dollar exhaust kits to fifty dollar led license plate lights.

Thanks,

Ryan
Definitely new shoes would be the first mod, then get some good coilovers or bumper kit (whatever you desire), then some lights (LED everywhere), then you can go anywhere after. Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a blast with you new 550i
Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I am probably in the minority here, but I think body kit first then wheels.

Obviously if you do both at the same time, that's awesome, but otherwise I see it like this: I would rather be dressed nicely and have so-so shoes as opposed to have nice shoes and mediocre clothes. To me, having nice shoes without the dress to go with is mighty awkward.

Besides, I personally think it's easier to determine what kind of style of wheels you would ultimately go with after you have the body you want. It makes a difference, I guarantee you that.

And then there are the other obvious mods such as lighting, drop, etc
Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I am probably in the minority here, but I think body kit first then wheels.

Obviously if you do both at the same time, that's awesome, but otherwise I see it like this: I would rather be dressed nicely and have so-so shoes as opposed to have nice shoes and mediocre clothes. To me, having nice shoes without the dress to go with is mighty awkward.

Besides, I personally think it's easier to determine what kind of style of wheels you would ultimately go with after you have the body you want. It makes a difference, I guarantee you that.

And then there are the other obvious mods such as lighting, drop, etc
I actually agree with you Simon, you won't be sure about what wheels you want until you get the body mods done. If you're going for the kit anyway, then get that and then wheels to your taste. Instead of getting wheels that look nice on a stock car, but look too plain when the car has the kit and looks way more aggressive
Old 07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Body kit, wheels, LED lights, exhaust, euro overlays...
Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius
Body kit, wheels, LED lights, exhaust, euro overlays...
+1

but the order should be

euro overlays,
led lights
exhaust
bodykit
wheels

do the cheapest one done for now and then move to the big one..
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by monsterj34
+1

but the order should be

euro overlays,
led lights
exhaust
bodykit
wheels

do the cheapest one done for now and then move to the big one..
The only thing I would change about above is to put body kit above exhaust.

OP, you should give us some feedback to what you're hearing right now.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Contributors

First off, thanks for all the input so far.

I'm still very green at all of this, so it's stupid question time...what is the Euro overlay?

Once I find out what that is, that might be a good place to start. I'm also definitely going to do the full LED treatment. Depending on the answer to my question above, one of these two might be the best place to start. For me personally I find it best to start small, get noticeable results, and also gain valuable knowledge before moving on to bigger and better things.

After that it sounds like body kit is what I should look into next. From what I've researched so far, I think I dig the mtech body kit the most. So that would probably be my next step.

Stupid question #2. I also really dig the 2008 550i sport wheels. What kind of adjustments would I need to make to my 2007 to accommodate such wheels? I know that these are very general car n00b questions, so if anyone could possibly point me in the direction of some quality reading material, I would love to read up on these sorts of things.

Stupid question #3. Sprint booster. My understanding is that it doesn't really change the performance, but it changes ones perception of performance. Is this true, and would such a purchase be worth it?

I apologize for the relative lack of knowledge on my part. It seems that every time I think I find an answer, I find another that contradicts it. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Must Have Mods for stock 2007 550i