E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Multi-colored Orions for E60!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Looks good. I thought about these. But I want multi color eyebrows to match.

I've seen some LED strip in a lighting store that changes colors. Haven't looked into it. But it would be hot to have multi color AE and matching eyebrows.
Kevin asked about this, and we've contemplated this as well. The truth is, we don't have the resources and the manufacture connections like Umnitza has to find the LEDs of the right spec to do multi-colored eyebrows. The number one issue, obviously, is reliability. And it's far from ideal to "test" out by installing test samples on customer's car.

If I have an extra set of headlights, and Umnitza can provide LED samples, maybe we can make it happen. I think that if the eyebrows can be changed to cycle just three colors: white, blue, and red, it would be really already.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Still waiting on the vids I can't wait! Also, Umnitza states that the "white" setting on the multi-colors are a tad on the blue-ish side of the spectrum when compared to the Orion V2s. Can you confirm this? The multi-colors look awesome, but I would rather get the V2s if this is the case.

Also, how do you adjust the colors? Is it a remote or a dial? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Contributors

I actually have uploaded the vids already. I am waiting on Kevin (black dove) to chime in and give me the go ahead to put it up.

Personally, I wouldn't say it's blue-ish, but it is really hard to explain. You "somewhat" see faint spectrum of other colors, but they're incredibly faint that they're negligible. For what it's worth, I would definitely still call it white. We tried to take some pics of it, but it all just came out to be white.

There's a small white box with two buttons to adjust the colors. You can mount this inside the car pretty much anywhere. Also, the white box does light up with the corresponding color that is lit on the AE as well. Although when it's in the split color mode, it'll only display one of the colors.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I actually have uploaded the vids already. I am waiting on Kevin (black dove) to chime in and give me the go ahead to put it up.

Personally, I wouldn't say it's blue-ish, but it is really hard to explain. You "somewhat" see faint spectrum of other colors, but they're incredibly faint that they're negligible. For what it's worth, I would definitely still call it white. We tried to take some pics of it, but it all just came out to be white.

There's a small white box with two buttons to adjust the colors. You can mount this inside the car pretty much anywhere. Also, the white box does light up with the corresponding color that is lit on the AE as well. Although when it's in the split color mode, it'll only display one of the colors.

Ahhhh, that's a good idea to have the box light up as the corresponding color. Now the million dollar question:
As someone who has seen and installed both the Orion V2s and the multi-colors, which would you buy and why? I think your answer will help to sway those of us on the fence. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Ahh, the big question. Why of course. I have been running that through my mind yesterday and today as well.

Let me preface it by saying that prior to installing and seeing it in person and in action, I thought that it was a novelty thing to have different colors. Simply put, I deemed it to be unnecessary, since I am a fan of clean white color.

On top of that, the price difference is $100 more for the multi-color.

Now, after installing it and seeing it in person, my thoughts are changed a little bit. I personally think that the white and the red is awesome, and the blue is cool as well. Not sure how I feel about the other colors yet, and the crazy cycles of the other colors, but then again, it is a conversational piece.

Additionally (the nifty feature that Umnitza did not document) the multi-colored Orions can be set up to fade on with one particular color, and SMOOTHLY fade into a different color once you start the car. This really has to be seen to appreciate how super sexy this is. We first noticed it with the blue color, where Kevin would unlock the car, and the AE would fade on with blue AE, and then once he starts the car, the AE fades into white (almost like HID's warming up, but obviously different). We then tested it with the red, and it worked the same as well.

I think we have on video that showcase this. I will have to check.

Sooo... at the end of the day, I probably will say that I would get the multi-colored, simply for the the fact that I do have the option to change if I want to. Like I said many times already, the red AE in person looks ridiculously menacing.

Now Kevin... get a body kit!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Ahh, the big question. Why of course. I have been running that through my mind yesterday and today as well.

Let me preface it by saying that prior to installing and seeing it in person and in action, I thought that it was a novelty thing to have different colors. Simply put, I deemed it to be unnecessary, since I am a fan of clean white color.

On top of that, the price difference is $100 more for the multi-color.

Now, after installing it and seeing it in person, my thoughts are changed a little bit. I personally think that the white and the red is awesome, and the blue is cool as well. Not sure how I feel about the other colors yet, and the crazy cycles of the other colors, but then again, it is a conversational piece.

Additionally (the nifty feature that Umnitza did not document) the multi-colored Orions can be set up to fade on with one particular color, and SMOOTHLY fade into a different color once you start the car. This really has to be seen to appreciate how super sexy this is. We first noticed it with the blue color, where Kevin would unlock the car, and the AE would fade on with blue AE, and then once he starts the car, the AE fades into white (almost like HID's warming up, but obviously different). We then tested it with the red, and it works the same as well.

I think we have on video that showcase this. I will have to check.

Sooo... at the end of the day, I probably will say that I would get the multi-colored, simply for the the fact that I do have the option to change if I want to. Like I said many times already, the red AE in person looks ridiculously menacing.

Now Kevin... get a body kit!
Thanks for the detailed description, Simon. It sounds like a very cool feature indeed!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Contributors

I got the go ahead from Kevin, so here are some vids!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGTv-yga9HE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVya1xymQC8
Attached Thumbnails Multi-colored Orions for E60!-p1030524.jpg   Multi-colored Orions for E60!-p1030527.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Contributors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa_TNYwe2Yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrlvcjQKXRs
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Contributors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biELXCi4d8o

This last clip shows the car fading on with blue AE and once the car starts, it fades into white AE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gId-Y2nfZ0

Also, why do we have a limit on limiting links to videos? Seems kind of unnecessary to limit to only 2 clips per post.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Contributors

One last thing, just in case people don't know. You CAN lock onto one of these colors: white, blue, and red. The other colors you can lock onto them as well, but at the moment, they appear to be split into two color combos. This is something Umnitza needs to clarify.

Quick Reply: Multi-colored Orions for E60!