E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

What's up everyone. Long time no post. This is going to be a long rant about Umnitza's crappy customer service and their lack of assistance to anyone with a real problem.

I haven't really done any mods in a bit and one of our members here wanted me to install his Multi Color Orion V2's for him.

Now initially we were supposed to do this a month ago, but Umnitza didn't test it correctly. So before starting the project. I powered up the Orion's V2's and turns out the rings all light up different colors. The only one that sync's correctly is Red, Baby blue, and White. I knew that this is not correct so I told Joe to contact Umnitza. We sent the Orion's back and a week later, Umnitza sends us the same product again! I told Joe to contact them and we got the run around of course. The problem is that, in order to make the 4 rings sync in the same color, the two big rings have to plug into one box and the two small rings have to plug into one box like this.
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-plugged-.jpg
Obviously this will not work considering one large ring and one small ring has to be in one headlight and the same for the other. So how are we supposed to plug one ring into the following box? Like this?
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-supposed-plug-.jpg
Well this method obviously would work right? Wrong... This is when the colors are all out of sync and pretty much look like shit.

So Umnitza pretty much didn't own to this problem and wouldn't work with joe or have us test something out. I ended up making a custom harness to fix this dilemma. In turn it would make it function just like it supposed to. The way these new boxes work is that they are linked to eachother and then plugged into the box that controls the color change. My attached my 8 wires to the existing harness so that it can become plug and play. As you can see in these pics.
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-correctharness1.jpg
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-correctharness2.jpg
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-correctharness3.jpg

Once I finished that, I tested it and it works like its supposed to!!
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-joe-misal.jpg
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-joe-misal2.jpg
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-joe-misal3.jpg
Video of the rings on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Dhv-T0bU4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8E65pV-tms

Talk about a pain in the ass to buy items with Umnitza... I swear if anyone else sold this I'm sure their customer service / tech support would figure this out correctly instead of selling an item that is not fully tested.

You guys would think the problems would end there right? WRONG!

I was also installing member Misal's Orion V2's Single Color Angel eyes. And they sent him the wrong boxes for the setup!! WTF?! This is the same thign that happened to member Tex Phil. (Phils Pic, I didnt take one of my own because I was pissed off).
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-missing.jpg
As you can see, each box should have at least 3 plugs due to being in one headlight each. The large ring has two plugs and the small ring has one plug. The box with two plugs will not work in one headlight. So I took it apart and desoldered one of the plugs and put it into the two plug one and I got this.
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-fixed-box.jpg
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-fixed-box2.jpg
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-fixed-box3.jpg
Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way-fixed-box4.jpg

And after that, the rings work like its supposed to.

I hope my story didn't bore anyone but I wanted to point out the problems we face with Umnitza time and time. Ugh, nothing we can really do but just take it if we want to buy their products.

Enjoy! LOL
Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Contributors

Wait, Umnitza and crappy customer service? SAY IT AIN'T SO?

(no surprise)
Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

great work, you definitely have some skills my friend , but sad to read it was such a PITA, no help from Umnitza. Add another google find to a crappy Umnitza review

Wondering if they are going to chime in here
Old 10-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn dude your a genius wish you lived here in Texas so you could install mine.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Yup, it took them weeks to get my bumper order finally correct. (shipping mislabeled bumpers, two of the same sideskirt, had my bumpers painted and installed on a pre-lci, etc) It's never their fault and they are a shady bunch. For this reason alone, I will never buy from them again. :thumbsdown:

Glad to hear you are smart enough to overcome their shortcomings.
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
great work, you definitely have some skills my friend , but sad to read it was such a PITA, no help from Umnitza. Add another google find to a crappy Umnitza review

Wondering if they are going to chime in here
Actually, its not that hard once u map it out in your head. Thanks though! I'm a simple guy and its just connect wires from A to B. LOL.

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Actually, Misal lives in Georgia. He sent me the headlights and I have to send it back to him once the headlights are sealed and dried completely.

Go Umnitza!!
Contributors

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
same here man I would love if you were my neighbor!!!! I'd have Orions by now for sure.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

lack of customer service after buying products is no surprise at all.

good work man, u have some skill
Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Members

Yea, they just did my Orion V2 conversion along with the euro corner conversion.... All I gotta say is that they totally fucked up my lights. The quality of work is so horrible that it seemed as if it was done by a little kid. On top of everything, the customer service was horrible. I will never do business with them in the future.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by manjot530i
Yea, they just did my Orion V2 conversion along with the euro corner conversion.... All I gotta say is that they totally fucked up my lights. The quality of work is so horrible that it seemed as if it was done by a little kid. On top of everything, the customer service was horrible. I will never do business with them in the future.
Ah, you came up in my discussion with the guys that came over to do the installs today. I said that I should follow up with you to see how it turned out. Whatever happened with the reflectors?

Back to the original post. Thanks for figuring it out Mike. When you first mentioned that the rings will light up correctly with the same sized rings to the box, I figured that we can just splice the wires and make it work. Your way is cleaner, but I suppose that when the hood is closed, it makes no difference

Kevin, the guy we did the colored Orions for is actually coming by tomorrow, and we're gonna see if we can fix it for him.

Quick Reply: Multi Color Orion V2's the Correct Way