E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MTEC V2 Angel Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Freflyr' post='1037118' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:29 PM
Hey guys is there anything for people who dont have the halogen/xeon lights for the angle eyes??
Hi Paul,
I'm not sure I understand your question. Your car either has Halogen or Xenon headlights. There are different types of angel eye upgrade bulbs depending on your headlights. Do you know which one you have? If you have halogens, there are four little bulbs that power the four angel eye rings. If you have Xenons, there are two bulbs, one for each headlight assembly which powers both rings for each assembly.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Originally Posted by umnitza' post='1037021' date='Oct 20 2009, 08:24 PM
This is completely normal.
This is your car doing a check and the LED require little current to fire them up.
This has always been the case and you see it more if you start your car before you turn on your lights in the late afternoon or darker hours.
Ah... you're saying it is more evident with LEDs because the power used to check is enough to fire them up.

Thanks! that really helps.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Is there a 'typical' life-cycle of these aftermarket bulbs? I've seen some users have had their previous angel eye bulb burnt out, so I'm just curious to know how long a person might expect before either bulb burns out. And, if one does burn out, do you have to buy another pair to replace the one and keep the other for spare for when it burns out?

Just wondering before I take the $150.00 plunge...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1037150' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Paul,
I'm not sure I understand your question. Your car either has Halogen or Xenon headlights. There are different types of angel eye upgrade bulbs depending on your headlights. Do you know which one you have? If you have halogens, there are four little bulbs that power the four angel eye rings. If you have Xenons, there are two bulbs, one for each headlight assembly which powers both rings for each assembly.

I did some research and figured out that there isnt much I can do expect replace the four little bulbs to https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49997 make them white vs yellow..but i cant get the bright angel eyes unless I have the xenon. Correct me if im wrong but this is my only option and i cant get the LED lights for $150...only the $12 dull ones. I wish I had the option like the older 3 series who put in the rings like the Audis that are so bright you can see them during the day.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' post='1037156
Is there a 'typical' life-cycle of these aftermarket bulbs? I've seen some users have had their previous angel eye bulb burnt out, so I'm just curious to know how long a person might expect before either bulb burns out. And, if one does burn out, do you have to buy another pair to replace the one and keep the other for spare for when it burns out?

Just wondering before I take the $150.00 plunge...
It depends on which one. Most LED are good for 20K hours, some go up to 100K - like our Orion v2 kits. It's very unlikely to burn out in the next 8 years of you owning your car.

Originally Posted by Freflyr' post='1037232' date='Oct 20 2009, 10:33 PM
I did some research and figured out that there isnt much I can do expect replace the four little bulbs to https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49997 make them white vs yellow..but i cant get the bright angel eyes unless I have the xenon. Correct me if im wrong but this is my only option and i cant get the LED lights for $150...only the $12 dull ones. I wish I had the option like the older 3 series who put in the rings like the Audis that are so bright you can see them during the day.
You do have that option. But you have to give up your headlights for 48 hours. We can put Orion V2 rings into it with our partner LightWurkz <-- correct spelling.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by umnitza' post='1037244' date='Oct 21 2009, 02:09 AM
yes, LED require so little power to get them up and running, that it's obvious that the car is checking them.
While the halogen bulbs require a lot more power.

It depends on which one. Most LED are good for 20K hours, some go up to 100K - like our Orion v2 kits. It's very unlikely to burn out in the next 8 years of you owning your car.

You do have that option. But you have to give up your headlights for 48 hours. We can put Orion V2 rings into it with our partner LightWurkz <-- correct spelling.

LightWurkz??? where are they located? Is it reasonable price wise and is final looks like the Audis LEDs? Do you have any pics umnitza
Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Members

My Ride: '08 535i SPORT l Deep Sea Blue l 19" AC Schnitzers Type IV Forged l GP Thunders & Hoen Fogs l SolarGuard 28%

i have the GP Thunders for just about a year now and one of mine just burnt out...... im undecided as to getting anutha set or trying the L.E.D.'s but for $150 opposed to $20 i think im gonna stick wit the GP's.... hope this helps!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by RC1818' post='1037376' date='Oct 21 2009, 06:23 AM
i have the GP Thunders for just about a year now and one of mine just burnt out...... im undecided as to getting anutha set or trying the L.E.D.'s but for $150 opposed to $20 i think im gonna stick wit the GP's.... hope this helps!
You have LCI headlights. I believe these are for pre-LCI headlights only and you can't use the GP Thunder bulbs on our older headlights.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1037388' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:44 AM
You have LCI headlights. I believe these are for pre-LCI headlights only and you can't use the GP Thunder bulbs on our older headlights.

Yeah I have the older headlights..2004 Seems like its just four bulbs you can replace...but i think umitza is saying i can put in these
custom job from lightworkz.com. Wonder what the cost would be?? Or if its even possible
Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Freflyr' post='1037359
This is important as a distinction, the GP and OE bulbs are halogen. By their design, they produce more heat than they do light energy. As a result of this they eventually burn the fiber optic ends. Over time, you will see decreased levels of angel eyes output from your lights. Now that the the 08 cars have been on the market for a bit, you definitely can see the 08s being dimmer than the new 2010 models as they roll out.

While LEDs are certainly pricier, they don't do this to the fiber optic ends, so the beam output is uniform throughout the life of the ownership of the car.

Because you have LCI, you will need something like this.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1037388' date='Oct 21 2009, 06:44 AM
Right.

Quick Reply: MTEC V2 Angel Eyes