E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MTEC Angel Eye Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 525i

I ordered the MTEC angel Eyes from Umintza. They were about $90 shipped and they got to me fast (Thanks Umintza!)

Overall not very satisfied with the bulbs themselves.

It took me a long time to put them in because the old ones were stuck in there. The MTEC Angel eye is bigger than the stock light so its hard to align it to get it into the hole. Also the stock connector fit with the MTEC units is not great and there is no positive lock so it falls out easily. I would not be surpirsed if I have to plug the connector back in after a few months due to vibrations, going over bumps etc etc.

Brightness:

I do not see a brightness difference, I would say that the only thing the bulbs give you is a color change from yellow to white. All the pictures make it look like there is a brightness change but I think its the camera. I tried taking a picture last night and the MTEC looked brighter in the picture. I will try adjust the camera setting to get a picture that represents actual brightness.

If your going to spend the money I would probably spend more and go with another product. If its a color change your looking for go with MTEC, if its a brightness change I would pick something else.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by ukamath' post='869739' date='May 6 2009, 10:15 AM
I ordered the MTEC angel Eyes from Umintza. They were about $90 shipped and they got to me fast (Thanks Umintza!)

Overall not very satisfied with the bulbs themselves.

It took me a long time to put them in because the old ones were stuck in there. The MTEC Angel eye is bigger than the stock light so its hard to align it to get it into the hole. Also the stock connector fit with the MTEC units is not great and there is no positive lock so it falls out easily. I would not be surpirsed if I have to plug the connector back in after a few months due to vibrations, going over bumps etc etc.

Brightness:

I do not see a brightness difference, I would say that the only thing the bulbs give you is a color change from yellow to white. All the pictures make it look like there is a brightness change but I think its the camera. I tried taking a picture last night and the MTEC looked brighter in the picture. I will try adjust the camera setting to get a picture that represents actual brightness.

If your going to spend the money I would probably spend more and go with another product. If its a color change your looking for go with MTEC, if its a brightness change I would pick something else.
Thanks for the info! I have been on the fence on an angel eye upgrade. I know I can get them affordably (under $100) but I have some hesitation as I have heard similar feedback that the affordable units aren't very bright. Angelibrights seem to get great reviews but are a few hundred bucks. That is probably the direction I'll go (after I do my tailights )
Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by wolf' post='869917' date='May 6 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info! I have been on the fence on an angel eye upgrade. I know I can get them affordably (under $100) but I have some hesitation as I have heard similar feedback that the affordable units aren't very bright. Angelibrights seem to get great reviews but are a few hundred bucks. That is probably the direction I'll go (after I do my tailights )
Angelibrights aren't much different in terms of brightness. I've had two versions of theirs and ended up selling them and getting the $65 dollar angel eyes on ebay. They work just the same (plug and play, no error messages) and they match my 6000k HID's, White LED Eyebrow, and White LED turn signal perfectly.

Before the Angelibright matched more with the 4300k stock HID temp. I think you best bet is to go on ebay and get the LED Angeleyes.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

+1 on buying from eBay. You don't really see a whole lot of difference (brightness during the day) for spending more money.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Gone: 2004 545i

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='869927' date='May 6 2009, 01:35 PM
Angelibrights aren't much different in terms of brightness. I've had two versions of theirs and ended up selling them and getting the $65 dollar angel eyes on ebay. They work just the same (plug and play, no error messages) and they match my 6000k HID's, White LED Eyebrow, and White LED turn signal perfectly.

Before the Angelibright matched more with the 4300k stock HID temp. I think you best bet is to go on ebay and get the LED Angeleyes.

Good luck!
Is there an ebay vendor that you'd recommend?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Members

Ukamath, thanks for the review. It's good to know cuz I'm evaluating my options at the moment also.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='869927' date='May 6 2009, 01:35 PM

Good luck!

Out of curiosity, if they were no different, why did you sell them?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i

Originally Posted by wolf' post='870407' date='May 6 2009, 08:42 PM
Out of curiosity, if they were no different, why did you sell them?
Because the Ebay ones matched my HID temp more. and I got $180 dollars for the Angelibrights when I sold them.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Members

Good to know.