E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Most effective way to minimize body roll?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Want to trade smooth ride for tight handling? All of the above ^^^^ plus urethane bushings.
http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=215
Your "X" may limit availability though.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xi

Damn this x-drive!

It didn't even snow a lot in Toronto this year. Neither my brand new snowblower or the x-drive got a workout. We better get bucket loads of snow next year

All along I was thinking that bigger roll bars would be my next mod after coils. Guess not.

I guess I'll just spend the money on a scoop and some other little goodies.

Originally Posted by pjinca
Sorry Vlad, you would need Sway bars to greatly reduce the body roll. Problem is, they don;t make them for the Xi - they are for the std 5 er only. Your best option is coilovers, but even the best coilovers cannot eliminate body roll as effectively as a good set of sway bars.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
Damn this x-drive!

It didn't even snow a lot in Toronto this year. Neither my brand new snowblower or the x-drive got a workout. We better get bucket loads of snow next year

All along I was thinking that bigger roll bars would be my next mod after coils. Guess not.

I guess I'll just spend the money on a scoop and some other little goodies.

Don't forget the ESS Tune from RPI - that is definitely on my "to do" list, our I6''s need all the power we can get
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Members

I've got a 535xi, and I already have the Dinan tune. I've only had it for about 10 days, but I'm loving it - merging on highways is REAL fun now.

Although I'm very happy with it, I can see how more and more power becomes addictive.

Don't forget the ESS Tune from RPI - that is definitely on my "to do" list, our I6''s need all the power we can get
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Contributors

I've got a 535xi, and I already have the Dinan tune. I've only had it for about 10 days, but I'm loving it - merging on highways is REAL fun now.

Although I'm very happy with it, I can see how more and more power becomes addictive.
That's why we should all just say F*** it!!!! And have an M5 group buy
Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

ARS.... no just kidding. It really should be available on the "Xi" cars .I really miss it from my RWD sedan. It really made a Huge difference in body roll , and the wagons REALLY need it with the added Weight of the panoramic sun roof up top

Larger diameter wheels
Stiffer side wall tires ( God forbid RFT's cause they are very stiff)
Bigger diameter Anti roll (Euro word)/ Sway bars
Stiffer shocks & springs....

All of these can adversely effect the ride quality though as you most likely already know.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

hopefully the new f10 awd's will incorporate the x6 and x5 active stabilization technology.....

BTT: vlad, quit your dilly dallying and just get some coilovers already

you can lower them for summer/spirited driving, then raise them for winter driving
Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Members

I just received my Car&Driver - 555 hp and 500 torques (as the Clarkson would say) sounds pretty damn fine.

Could you imagine 30 of us lining up at a dealer to get a group buy - would make for quite the scene.

That's why we should all just say F*** it!!!! And have an M5 group buy
Old 04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Contributors

I just received my Car&Driver - 555 hp and 500 torques (as the Clarkson would say) sounds pretty damn fine.

Could you imagine 30 of us lining up at a dealer to get a group buy - would make for quite the scene.

Yeah, but I bet we get a discount (not much of one, because as another thread mentioned, I doubt BMW makes that much on M cars - but a deal's a deal)
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Here is a summary of my understand coupled with some helpful language I found on another board.

A strut tower bar and an anti roll bar are two entirely different suspension components.

A struct tower bar reinforces (stiffens) the body of the car, by inserting a bar that connects the tops of the upper mounts of the struts. So when you do corner or any type of movement that induces lateral forces, it prevents the chassis/body from flexing so much. In a nutshell -- it stiffens the car's body but does not affect its propensity to roll.

Anti roll bars are tubes that have been bent in a special shape to allow rigidity in certain angles but elasticity when pulled in certain ways. It is fixed onto the lower part of the suspension (whereas the strut tower bar sits on top of the struts). The anti roll bar works by preventing unwanted movement between the suspension and maintains the appropriate angle of your geometry during hard cornering.
OK, this clears up a lot of my confusion. Thanks, Dude

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
a good coil system with roll bars is the best setup

if i had to choose one over the other, coilover all day any day
No! I decided to not go with coils for now - don't want any noises and don't need the adjustability.

Originally Posted by turboawd
if you want less roll, get an e60 with the active roll system. its not an option on the x drive models though. but that system works real great.

your best option would be to get beefier stabilizer(antiroll) bars. there is one in front and rear. the only down side to a beefier bar is your ride might be a little more harsh. when one wheels hits a bump, the jolt will travel through the car more.

a little info on roll bars:
http://www.boosttown.com/suspension/anti_roll_bars.php
Thanks!

Sorry Vlad, you would need Sway bars to greatly reduce the body roll. Problem is, they don;t make them for the Xi - they are for the std 5 er only. Your best option is coilovers, but even the best coilovers cannot eliminate body roll as effectively as a good set of sway bars.
Sway bars, huh? Maybe I can convince Rogue Engineering (or someone else local) to produce a limited series of these for me and a few others (if there are others, who'd spend the $$$ on this)

Originally Posted by 530inOK
Want to trade smooth ride for tight handling? All of the above ^^^^ plus urethane bushings.
http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=215
Your "X" may limit availability though.
It does, it does. I'm still determined to see how far I can take it though

Quick Reply: Most effective way to minimize body roll?