E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

More Power in 5 mins - New PowerBox

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been humming and harring about re-mapping my 525d M-Sport Tourer, and have been looking into the various re-map companies, and also the various ?tuning boxes? trying to decide which to go for.

As I have not done anything else to my car, a custom re-map seemed pointless, and also the down side with re-maps, is when you sell the car ? they are gone, and also, they ?are? traceable on the ECU.

So then it was a tuning box, and I narrowed it down to 4 contenders, and then decided to try out the new ?PowerBox?, which is a programmable digital version from Griffin Tuning, that has 9 different settings, from no difference in Power to full out Max Power. Also, this PowerBox has the ability to be custom programmed, therefore if I feel that the power band is not quite right, I can speak with 'Taff' the owner of Griffin Tuning (great guy, and very knowledgeable), and he will have a new program written and emailed to me, to which I download onto the PowerBox (all software/Hardware provided with the PowerBox) and jobs a good one - off I go. You also get an infra-red remote control to be able to turn the PowerBox on and off from inside the car, should this be required. Finally, you get a full 2 year warranty, and the aftercare is the best I have ever come across.

Setting up the PowerBox was a 5 minute job ? plug and play setup, and once fitted you need to go through the different programs installed on the PowerBox. I was advised by Taff that it is best to go up one stage at a time driving the car in each setting first.

So far I am up to setting number 7 (only fitted it last night), and the grin is permanently on my face. I have been told that the Beemer will be good for setting 8, and even 9, so might venture up to them and see what happens.

A further advantage, is that should you change your car, a quick word and few euro?s later, a new program and cables are supplied, and you are good to go using the PowerBox in your new car ? so no more major outlay in new Tuning Boxes, or having the ECU re-programmed, and then losing it when you change the car.

So I know from various other threads that people have looked into various re-maps and tuning boxes, so I thought I would share my experience, as being a very good one, as I always prefer going on a recommendation, than buying blind. So for that new lease of life, more power, more MPG and a new car feel at miniscule price, have a word with Taff at Griffin Tuning - click here for a direct link to the PowerBox on his web site.

I am very pleased I did.