E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

More on Audio Upgrades for E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Will Greer' post='906904' date='Jun 10 2009, 01:42 PM
Bruce,

I've just completed a total upgrade of my E60 sound system, including:

- The BSW Stage 1 upgrade
- Earthquake Subs
- The Blaupunkt THA 555 PnP amp
- A Spec.Dock iPod cradle replacing my ashtray

It sounds fantastic, and I very heavily leveraged your threads as a resource throughout my project. Thank you very much.

Again, thanks.
I also found Will and Bruce to have each provided valuable insight for this project.

My car has a 6-spd manual, sports pkg and a few relevant options:

S319A Integrated Universal Remote Control, S441A Smokers Package, S508A Parking Distance Control, S609A Navigation System Professional, S620A Voice Input System, S639A Complete Prep Cellular Phone USA/CAN, S693A Satellite Tuner Prep (but none installed), S694A Prep for CD Changer (but none installed); listed as standard equipment: S645A Radio Control US, S676A HIFI Loudspeaker System, S876A Radio Frequency 315MHZ.

Here's what I am up to - and some help is requested as indicated:

I ordered (from bavAuto) all of what I could determine from RealOEM.com to be the necessary brackets and hardware to set this car up as if the items were installed from factory - brackets for sat radio tuner, HD IBOC tuner, and even a full length amp bracket for me to use when I swap out the small Becker amp for a Blaupunkt 555... I know that once I wrap up adding MOST items, I will need to schedule a trip to the dealer so they can turn on all this stuff in the iDrive. I just want to do that once, so I am tackling all the source stuff first.

I plan to add the MoBridge XM Direct (in trunk at stock sat receiver location and on stock bracket) and iPod (in glovebox where CD changer would go) kits to the car. Those parts are inbound from EAS. I am hopeful that all necessary MOST connections are present in the car already - based on those two "prep" options, for me to do this - mindful that I may have to swap out two wire leads (power and ground) in the factory 4-pin harness at the sat radio location per the MoBridge on-line instructions for the XM kit.

I also obtained the IBOC tuner (to install in stock location with stock brackets) to try and add HD radio capability (none found at present) in this non-Logic7 car. HD was an option for 2007 and from the sales brochures (I have one for both MY 2007 and for MY2008) not tied to having the Logic7 as it apears to have been for MY2008. In particular, I found the IBOC as part # 65129119363 (this shows as the most current and still valid part number from BMW) and it came with antenna splitter 65209123548 attached. It is this part of my plans that I am having trouble with. Obviously, once I get the actual brackets I can match them up in the trunk to focus my search, but as of yet, careful inspection reveals no extra MOST connector or even an antenna lead that would match up with the TWO leads (one black, one orange - but mechanically identical) that come off of the antenna splitter already fastened to the IBOC tuner. I have really only searched on the left side of trunk - but I did take off the panel to glance at the right side as well. Does the IBOC actually go forward and high on the right side? If not, will I find the connectors or am I SOL on adding HD to a non-Logic7 car? I noticed some diversity antenna diagrams on RealOEM, and several antenna connectors seem to be high on the right side below back glass. I figure that since my car has nav, it has the necessary wiring to add in the IBOC as well. I could be wrong there... When I look in left rear I see a piece up against the bulge for the wheel that has an antenna wire connected at top along with a MOST plug and labelled in three places as "not navigation". I think this is the Bluetooth/BMWAssist module. The only other piece back there is the short (Becker?) amp for the speakers. Does that Becker amp drive all channels (4 - plus the subs)? Bruce's call-outs for PINS seem to show a stereo pair line in and a stereo pair (only) speaker level out. Nothing else seen, so there is lots of room for the factory brackets and new harware... Anyone have a car with HD in it who can examine their trunk and clue me in here?
I may use the Alpine Imprint PXE-H650 to set up a DSP for 5 channels - adding the BSW (MB Quart) drop-in speaker kit and asking them to sell me the one extra speaker for the center channel - I do have the grille there in the dash. The PXE-H650 along with the Blaupunkt 555 might give a nice sound stage - if I really get a DSP that will run the center channel. I continue to look into that. Also - MoBridge is releasing very soon two different preamp integration kits (see their website) that may do somethng for us here... I have on hand also some nice Alpine V-Power amps (a four channel and a one-channel for subs) that may work if I can adapt into factory harness.

My 8" Earthquake subs should arrive next week and that will be done ASAP along with the trunk and glovebox electronics.

Any feedback or assistance is most appreciated - especially WRT to adding in HD...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.

UPDATE
10/13/09 - Last weekend I put the mObridge xm and ipod kits in. I still have to go to dealer to get it all activated. My car had CD changer prep but no changer. Here's what to look for in your glovebox if you are not simply unplugging a CD changer to do this, but, like me, have to start with a mere "CD Changer Prep"... The MOST optic cable is actually taped together with a connector holding two cable ends end-to-end. So when you open up the back of the glove box you will quickly see the correct MOST power plug that only has electrical sub-plug attached to it. You'll see a loop of taped-up cable and this is the MOST optic cable. Carefully slice the area where you feel a squarish lump to access that plastic connector. You'll then carefully dismantle the connector and pry up lightly on the remaining plastic piece to allow each end to have its MOST cable pop out. Using the mObridge downloaded instructions, insert both those cable ends into either the stock connector (be sure to see where mObridge alerts you to put the correct "light giving" cable - upstream so to speak on the correct side as that is the light input to the mObridge part. The other cable is the "light out" cable that routes light away from the kit...) or use their extra optic cable lenghs to give yourself more room to finesse the new part in where the CD changer would live. In the trunk, it was easier as my "satellite prep" car actually had a complete intact MOST connector with electrical pins as well. For both kits, mObridge has the power and ground leads out of sync with factory BMW practice. They tell you to pull pins out of harnesses etc, but it is far easier to just suitcase splice the mObridge wire ends onto the BMW wiring. Why? Because mObridge also gives your reset switch that you are to use and it is SPLICED into their wiring leads. Easier to use the mObridge intact wiring and just splice it into the BMW wiring...leaving the plastic BMW electrical connection out of the complete plug package you put together of MOST cable and mObridge electrical harness. Both of those unclip from the bigger factory plug so this is feasible... mObridge does not explain this well at all, but their pictures show you what is going on if you think about it...

Anyone have photos of their trunks with a factory satellite tuner installed - also with a factory IBOC HD unit installed in the stock brackets - and perhaps where the antenna and power wires come from factory wiring to the IBOC tuner? I am lining up the correct factory brackets but no really seeing how/WHERE they fit in the trunk just yet!

Originally Posted by djcwardog' post='1027691' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:51 AM
I also found Will and Bruce to have each provided valuable insight for this project.

My car has a 6-spd manual, sports pkg and a few relevant options:

S319A Integrated Universal Remote Control, S441A Smokers Package, S508A Parking Distance Control, S609A Navigation System Professional, S620A Voice Input System, S639A Complete Prep Cellular Phone USA/CAN, S693A Satellite Tuner Prep (but none installed), S694A Prep for CD Changer (but none installed); listed as standard equipment: S645A Radio Control US, S676A HIFI Loudspeaker System, S876A Radio Frequency 315MHZ.

Here's what I am up to - and some help is requested as indicated:

I ordered (from bavAuto) all of what I could determine from RealOEM.com to be the necessary brackets and hardware to set this car up as if the items were installed from factory - brackets for sat radio tuner, HD IBOC tuner, and even a full length amp bracket for me to use when I swap out the small Becker amp for a Blaupunkt 555... I know that once I wrap up adding MOST items, I will need to schedule a trip to the dealer so they can turn on all this stuff in the iDrive. I just want to do that once, so I am tackling all the source stuff first.

I plan to add the MoBridge XM Direct (in trunk at stock sat receiver location and on stock bracket) and iPod (in glovebox where CD changer would go) kits to the car. Those parts are inbound from EAS. I am hopeful that all necessary MOST connections are present in the car already - based on those two "prep" options, for me to do this - mindful that I may have to swap out two wire leads (power and ground) in the factory 4-pin harness at the sat radio location per the MoBridge on-line instructions for the XM kit.

I also obtained the IBOC tuner (to install in stock location with stock brackets) to try and add HD radio capability (none found at present) in this non-Logic7 car. HD was an option for 2007 and from the sales brochures (I have one for both MY 2007 and for MY2008) not tied to having the Logic7 as it apears to have been for MY2008. In particular, I found the IBOC as part # 65129119363 (this shows as the most current and still valid part number from BMW) and it came with antenna splitter 65209123548 attached. It is this part of my plans that I am having trouble with. Obviously, once I get the actual brackets I can match them up in the trunk to focus my search, but as of yet, careful inspection reveals no extra MOST connector or even an antenna lead that would match up with the TWO leads (one black, one orange - but mechanically identical) that come off of the antenna splitter already fastened to the IBOC tuner. I have really only searched on the left side of trunk - but I did take off the panel to glance at the right side as well. Does the IBOC actually go forward and high on the right side? If not, will I find the connectors or am I SOL on adding HD to a non-Logic7 car? I noticed some diversity antenna diagrams on RealOEM, and several antenna connectors seem to be high on the right side below back glass. I figure that since my car has nav, it has the necessary wiring to add in the IBOC as well. I could be wrong there... When I look in left rear I see a piece up against the bulge for the wheel that has an antenna wire connected at top along with a MOST plug and labelled in three places as "not navigation". I think this is the Bluetooth/BMWAssist module. The only other piece back there is the short (Becker?) amp for the speakers. Does that Becker amp drive all channels (4 - plus the subs)? Bruce's call-outs for PINS seem to show a stereo pair line in and a stereo pair (only) speaker level out. Nothing else seen, so there is lots of room for the factory brackets and new harware... Anyone have a car with HD in it who can examine their trunk and clue me in here?
I may use the Alpine Imprint PXE-H650 to set up a DSP for 5 channels - adding the BSW (MB Quart) drop-in speaker kit and asking them to sell me the one extra speaker for the center channel - I do have the grille there in the dash. The PXE-H650 along with the Blaupunkt 555 might give a nice sound stage - if I really get a DSP that will run the center channel. I continue to look into that. Also - MoBridge is releasing very soon two different preamp integration kits (see their website) that may do somethng for us here... I have on hand also some nice Alpine V-Power amps (a four channel and a one-channel for subs) that may work if I can adapt into factory harness.

My 8" Earthquake subs should arrive next week and that will be done ASAP along with the trunk and glovebox electronics.

Any feedback or assistance is most appreciated - especially WRT to adding in HD...