E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Mods appropriate for a leased E60?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

I'm thinking of leasing a 545i (it's damn hard to turn down a 0.001 money factor) and am wondering what sorts of mods I can do to the car. The requirement for a lease is that you are allowed to mod the car as long as you restore the car to its original condition, correct? Can you guys help me outline what kind of mods are reversible?

1. Tires and wheels certainly.
2. How about aftermarket exhaust?
3. I'm assuming aftermarket audio is also, as long as they don't cut anything or break the original equipement irreversably. A few holes drilled are OK I assume (maybe a bit of a hit for that)?
4. I realize that if I want to supercharge the car I'm going to have to buy it. Chipping seems to be reversible, however...?
5. How about body kits?
6. Any other type of mods that you guys think are worthwhile that may or may not be reversible that may influence my decision to buy/lease?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Members

Upgrade suspension (if you don't have sport package). Enjoy the modded car for 3 years then reverse the mod before returning.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alpine60' date='Apr 22 2005, 11:19 PM
Upgrade suspension (if you don't have sport package).? Enjoy the modded car for 3 years then reverse the mod before returning.
[snapback]119028[/snapback]
I'm definitely getting the sport package. The hard part is going to be finding a 545i in CA with the options I want (i.e. with sport but otherwise stripped). I'm too impatient to wait months for a custom order.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have never leased a BMW before, but I would say that you can make any mods you wish.... so long as you can return the vehicle within reasonable closeness to factory condition. (Obviously excluding normal wear & tear)

So... if you change out the stereo... just keep the factory gear to return to original condition.

But.... try not to cut too many holes.

I've mentioned on this board many times the way I would go for adding audio to this car, if I ever did it. I would leave the factory speakers where they are, and install Image Dynamics compression horns under the dash. The advantages of horns are that they sound phenominal, but they also can be installed without ANY cutting of the factory panels. Simply hang them under the driver and passenger footwells. You screw them into the undersides of the dash, so the only way you could ever see the holes would be to get on your hands and knees and stick your head into the foot well.... then look up with a flashlight.

I would go this route before buying speakers and having to cut larger holes for them. The BMW factory speaker locations are very small when compared to standard aftermarket audio. For example, the front door speakers on the E60 are like 4 inches or something like that. So if you wanted to buy a 5.25" component speaker, you would have to cut a hole bigger and then cut another hole for the tweeter.

So I would go with the horns, personally. Image Dynamics for more info.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Members

if I upgrade from type 124 to type 125 wheels, and sell my 124 wheels.... can I return my car in with the 125 wheels after the lease is up?
Old 04-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 23 2005, 04:10 AM
I have never leased a BMW before, but I would say that you can make any mods you wish....? so long as you can return the vehicle within reasonable closeness to factory condition.? (Obviously excluding normal wear & tear)

So...? if you change out the stereo...? just keep the factory gear to return to original condition.

But....? try not to cut too many holes.

I've mentioned on this board many times the way I would go for adding audio to this car, if I ever did it.? I would leave the factory speakers where they are, and install Image Dynamics compression horns under the dash.? The advantages of horns are that they sound phenominal, but they also can be installed without ANY cutting of the factory panels.? Simply hang them under the driver and passenger footwells.? You screw them into the undersides of the dash, so the only way you could ever see the holes would be to get on your hands and knees and stick your head into the foot well.... then look up with a flashlight.?

I would go this route before buying speakers and having to cut larger holes for them.? The BMW factory speaker locations are very small when compared to standard aftermarket audio.? For example, the front door speakers on the E60 are like 4 inches or something like that.? So if you wanted to buy a 5.25" component speaker, you would have to cut a hole bigger and then cut another hole for the tweeter.

So I would go with the horns, personally.? Image Dynamics? for more info.
[snapback]119077[/snapback]
I'll definitely go for the horns with your recommendation. They sound like an incredible technology. It's really true that two of these guys under the dash give sound as good and as full as 10, 12, 14 speakers? To all passengers?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Horns are replacements for Midrange and Tweeters.

You will still want a subwoofer.

But yes.... a pair of horns with a good power amp running them will fill the car with sound quite well..... and sound noticably better than even the Logic 7 audio system.

If you want a true high-end setup, then you can install horns and some midbass woofers up front (like a 6.5" up to 8") The midbass will help give some kick up front.

In my Acura I had CD2-Comp horns up front, and then installed IDQ 8" subwoofers in the driver and passenger doors. Then had three JL Audio 10W6 10" subwoofers in the trunk. Best sound quality of any car system I ever owned. I had my horns sprayed in body color paint to match the car. Then had some factory match vinyl cover panels made to help give them a stock look. They were SICK. I have pics... I just need to remember to take them to work one day and scan them.

I had 4 amplifiers. All Precision Power Art Series amps. An A600 running the subs. An A300 running the two 8" woofers. Then I had two A200 amps running the horns (one amp for each horn).
Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributors

While image dynamics is a quality company, I'd definately try to listen to some well set up horns before going that route.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Absolutely.... One listen, and most people will be sold in a heartbeat.... especially if they understand audio and know what to listen for in a good system.

But definitly find a dealer, and listen to them in person first. That is true of anything.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black/Black, Sport Package, Satellite

I ordered a 545i Sport stripped (with the required $ 75 satellite radio prep option, no big deal)....can you no longer order a new 545i....I ordered mine in January and got it for $1800 over invoice and the .0010 MF.

Quick Reply: Mods appropriate for a leased E60?