E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MOD vs Resale

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills
Thumbs up

Whats up 60 Family,

I have a big delima for you guys. Most everyone on this site has done some type of mods to there 5-Series, but this is mainly for guys who dont drive 550's, or M5's, but anyone can answer. The question is 2 parts, 1st is i want to order the Mtech front bumper and side skirts, and either 166's or M6 rims in 19 for my 5 series. Which ones do you guys reccomend, seeing how my color is not a popular color?
2nd part of the question is this. For those of you that have made mods to your cars that dont come with the M5 parts, or rims whats the trade in or resale like. For isnstance I take my 5 Series in to trade up for a 7 in say 2 years and they look at my car and say this is a 525 with a M5 bumper and ect. How does this effect the trade in value? You know what i mean. Its like are you guys planning to keep your cars or what is the deal? I understand everyone is different just trying to get some thoughts on this. Do you guys keep your old bumpers etc, and all then put them back on so that the car is stock or what . Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

well the mtec kit is nice with 166 wheels it'd be more sportier with m6 its still sporty but more elegance... and on the resale it helps somewhat becuase an mtech kit vs no mtec will help the dealers still out faster... i did this recently and my car was traded in to a used car dealer and he wanted the kit on the car more and offered me more for it but bmw itself will tell you if the paint is not orginal then it drops price i got alot! from the used car dealer ship and when a BMW "rep" qouted my car with all my mods and everything like how you see in the sig he gave me only 11g =( stupid BMW lol good luck.. modding is for yourself not trade in if your going to trade in then might as well keep your car stock than putting more money into the car imo.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

If you have room save all of your stock parts and sell your MODS when you are ready to trade the car in.

That's what I did recently and it worked out very well. All the parts I sold here on the forum paid for about half of my new wheels/tires on my X5.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

+1000 I completely agree with Ghostcheck. I mod my car for me, and i it does end up affecting trade-in value then I will just sell it privately. You have a unique color for your car, so you would probably get more out of trade-in than, say, I would (my color is far too common). If you want to keep the trade-in value up, stick with OEM only - but that will cost you significantly more. OEM M-Tech painted and installed is about $2k - $2500, ditto wheels. So modding is up to the owner.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6spd

A general rule is 99% of aftermarket parts never improve resale value. Maybe if your car was missing something common - say heated seats in MN, and you added that, it will actually help bring you to what the other cars are at.

You'll certainly never get your money back on mods and often they will actually hurt your resale. If you put a nice factory M-tech kit on with new wheels sure it looks great to the right person, but chances are you won't get that person. If you're trading the car in they certainly won't value it. The reason for both is mainly, why were things changed on the car? Was your car smashed up and so you replaced all this stuff? And more importantly, even if it's appealing, most people will not value it higher than another stock car.

Do what makes you happy - but if your concerned about resale either take the parts off at the end and sell them or don't expect to get a dime back on your investment.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you are truly concerned about resale value then much better advice is to stay out of accidents - they will hurt resale WAAAAAAAY more than mods will (other than mods that can hurt the longterm reliability, i.e. superchargers, turbo kits, nitrous, etc)
Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Mods have no resale value, unless you find a buyer that wants or likes exactly what you do.
M-Tech kit is more of a universal mod, but wheels are not. Though, both M tech and 166 should be fine by almost any potential E60 buyer.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by providenceleaf' post='1022058' date='Oct 1 2009, 07:25 AM
If you have room save all of your stock parts and sell your MODS when you are ready to trade the car in.

That's what I did recently and it worked out very well. All the parts I sold here on the forum paid for about half of my new wheels/tires on my X5.
Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't even DRIVE an E60!!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghostteck' post='1022050' date='Oct 1 2009, 10:17 AM
well the mtec kit is nice with 166 wheels it'd be more sportier with m6 its still sporty but more elegance... and on the resale it helps somewhat becuase an mtech kit vs no mtec will help the dealers still out faster... i did this recently and my car was traded in to a used car dealer and he wanted the kit on the car more and offered me more for it but bmw itself will tell you if the paint is not orginal then it drops price i got alot! from the used car dealer ship and when a BMW "rep" qouted my car with all my mods and everything like how you see in the sig he gave me only 11g =( stupid BMW lol good luck.. modding is for yourself not trade in if your going to trade in then might as well keep your car stock than putting more money into the car imo.
I agree with that. My experience from past BMW's is that a very lightly modded car (in my case Dinan exhaust and chip(s), V1 hardwire, iPod connection in an E34 535i, and a full Dinan package - suspension, cam gears, chip on an E34 M5) were a boon to re-sale. They got the best response from BMWCCA members to whom those generally proven mods for those models appealed. These are folks who will *generally* also pay top dollar for a well-kept example.

I think for a more modern vehicle like the E60 there are fewer of those clear value-added modding opportunities, and the broader market looking for an E60 is looking generally for a more sedate experience than the folks on this forum. Anything that dramatically alters the appearance isn't going to be a big help, and relatively slim performance gains are really available on the power side (except perhaps on the intake and exhaust from RPI). That said, I think the Mtech kit and a nice set of BMW motorsport wheels are going to be a plus. Anything else and I'd take off and sell separately.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6spd

^that is a good point, and I've found some light factory mods seem to help get a car sold quicker.