E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MOD Bug

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

The mod bug is trying to bite me for the 550i. I have been thinking for some time to do the following but this year has been quite busy and quite expensive so I haven't gotten around to anything yet. I'm looking for opinions on the following list and priorities since I can't do them all at once.

Tires:
Not really a mod but I'll need a set soon. Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics are at the top of my list. I really like the stock wheels so no size change or anything.

Exterior:
Window tinting and an M5 rear spoiler. I was thinking a charcoal tinted ceramic for the tint. Would you trust the dealer (Hendrick BMW) or whomever they out source it to? A new 550i on their lot gave me both ideas.

Performance:
I'm leaning towards a Remus exhaust. I love the deep sound. See: Remus 550i I really like the '08 550i sound but I want something deeper and a bit louder but only when pushed. Should I go dual (stock left side only) or quad tips which requires a new rear diffuser? If a diffuser, would a flat charcoal look be better than body color (matching the window trim)? I don't want carbon fiber.

I would go for the Dinan CAI and software, but the software isn't out for the '08 yet.

Electronics:
The L7 stereo is good but could be better. The 650i was. I do think the speakers were cheapened in '08. I want to maintain the stock headunit and look. I'm thinking the Earthquake 8SWS subs, since they are a direct fit replacement for the stock subs. I was thinking to replace the mids & tweeters with MB Quartz or equivalent.

Tap into rear view mirror area for power for a radar detector. Is V1 the only choice? My stereo installer sells the K40 for $250.

I want to do a lot of this prior to October, to be able to enjoy them on a long trip. Any opinions? What else?

Here are the before pics.
MOD Bug-nd2_9045m.jpg
MOD Bug-nd2_9039s.jpg
Old 08-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

The first thing you should do is get rid of that FUGLY plastic license plate holder!!!!

Go down to your BMW dealer and buy a new one

Then a window tint, that is a must.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i.... Saphire Black Metallic...19 inch Axis Milanos....Auburn dakota interior.....ACS rear lip spoiler... And a whole lot of head turns ;)

I would do a splitter of some sort.

I will love to get the OEM M Sport carbon splitters for the M Kit. However, i do like the look of the ACS splitters as well.

Also have you thought of lowering the car?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Do NOT pay a BMW dealership to tint your windows. As you know, everyone gets a "cut". Take it to a good tint shop in your area. My dealership quoted me $500 when I got my car. I laughed in their face and took it elsewhere and had it done for $160.

As for the V1, that's a no brainer. I'm not a fan of the K40 at all. As they say, once you live by the arrows, you'll never go back. It's true. Not cheap by any means ($400), but worth every penny!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributors

With regards to the M5 spoiler, you could easily order from Garry or Hendrick's parts department and install yourself. As far as tints go, shop around and see who offers the best price for the particular tint you want. I don't see why the dealer needs to be included in that particular mod. I too say you should consider putting some lowering springs on and please keep me posted if you here anything about the DINAN software becoming available for the '08s.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

My idea on the tint is simply ask the dealer who they use/recommend and of course shop around.

Re springs/lowering, right now I like the ride/handling combination. The ARS is amazing on a twisty road.

I am leaning towards the V1 with a power lead from the mirror area. It would cost double for an inbuilt K40 and I won't get near the results.

As mentioned, I'm not into the carbon fiber look plus I'm afraid I'd scrape front splitters.

I always go for the subtle look to mods, not any that stand out and say "look what I did to mess up the clean factory look". No offense to those that may have.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Your car looks perfect to me Richard in NC

You really do not need new tires, aren't they already non-RF's?

Why tint the windows with such a nice interior?

Dual pipes look nice and sounds great.

You should have ordered the Individual Audio in the first place.

Debadge and get rid of the stupid rear license plate holder.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='648123' date='Aug 16 2008, 01:03 PM
Your car looks perfect to me Richard in NC

You really do not need new tires, aren't they already non-RF's?

Why tint the windows with such a nice interior?

Dual pipes look nice and sounds great.

You should have ordered the Individual Audio in the first place.

Debadge and get rid of the stupid rear license plate holder.
Thanks for the replies. The factory Conti rear tires are near the wear bars in just 11k miles. Soon time for new tires anyways, especially before going on a 1000 mile trip in October with lots of hard miles in the twisties.

The dealer had a space gray 550i with tint and the M5 rear spoiler. It looked really sharp. Problem was it had way too many options (antracite headliner, P1 leather, perf seats, night vision, active cruise, etc with a sticker $10k over mine) and I just couldn't make a good deal on it.

Lastly, the U.S. can't get Individual Audio The Logic 7 is good but could be better. I think it just needs higher quality speakers to improve sharpness and mid tone balance. I think it sounds a bit muddy, even compared to an '06 650i.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

If you have any questions regading the REMUS Sport PM me

Great looking car, love the stock rims!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

PM sent

Quick Reply: MOD Bug