E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

mObridge - '05 530d

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi,

can anyone provide a review of a mObridge fitted to a 5 series (mine is an '05 so about that age would be great).

I have MP3 enabled from my single disk player and have the CDC in the glove box - so looking at the website it should be pretty easy to install. However, it looks like there may be some wire re-configursation needed.

What I'd like to know is:

- How easy is it to do a DIY install
- How good is the functionality once installed - i.e. can you access all tracks on the ipod via the steering wheel controls?
- Anyone tried it with an iPhone 3G?
- Can you access audiobooks in the same way as music?

Any other info appreciated too (like where to get one cheap in the UK )

Thanks,

b.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Contributors

I had a mObridge iPod adapter on my E60 before the Nav retrofit. I did not have MP3 ability so I ordered the one that did not give text, meaning I only saw track numbers in playlists - it basically mimics the CD Changer. If I had to do it again I would have gone factory because I could have used it after my retrofit (I believe) and I would have a place I could actually drive to for service/questions.

As far as the installation/charging/functionality it all worked as advertised. I never used it with a 3g, but I did try my 2nd generation iPod Touch and there were no issues.

Installation was easy, but the working space was a bit cramped for me. If you have an existing CD changer, it is just as easy as unplugging it, and most important, swapping the power/ground pins in the harness because for some reason the mObridge is reverse polarity. I did not have a changer so I got to have all the fun of using the supplied harness/plugs to put the fiber optic cables in place and making sure the wiring all went where it belonged and putting it all in place in the master plug assembly.

If you do not have a factory CD changer installed you must go to the dealer and have CD changer ability coded. Do not bother to tell them why you want it activated because they might give you a hard time for using aftermarket parts. Just tell them you have a used changer on the way from eBay.

This information applies to my old car that was a 2004 525i with no factory nav. Your car may be different.

In my opinion the only real reason to go with mObridge instead of factory is if you also want to add bluetooth that is not currently present in your vehicle. They make a module that adds iPod and bluetooth simultaneously and claim that it works great through the iDrive.

The only source I can recommend (they ship world wide regularly) is the shop I go to called Gold Star Audio, in Southern California - phone number - 1 (949) 752 1446.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

im thinking about going back to the stock system. i dont have nav and no cd changer, but have bluetooth. so you will recommend the bmw ipod kit over the mObridge. how about the dension 500?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Members

Thanks iCharles.

I have the CD changer fitted and I also have bluetooth already in the car so am just looking for an ipod solution.

My experience of the local dealers is that they charge a fortune to do anything, so I was looking for an option that I could do myself or get a third party to fit.

The mObridge solution looked good as it appeared to be future proofed to a certain extent and looked about as cheap, if not cheaper than the dealer option.

b.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

Hi there, I'm looking to fit either the mobridge or gateway500. i want the bluetooth hands free.

currently i have a parrot mki9200 with ipod, usb, line in & SD card inputs. works great but i want a more factory look(there's a screen and controller for the parrot) through the idrive & Steering wheel buttons.

Car Spec. 2004 UK 530d with pro nav, CD Changer, plays MP3 the only thing that I'm missing is the bluetooth coding. I'll have to go to BMW and get this done.

I have found the mobridge in the UK with a company called Cartronics. They have a separate site for the mobridge.

Now the finale question. Mobridge with bluetooth or Gateway 500 with bluetooth?