E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

A missed opportunity by BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

I wonder how much missed revenue BMW or any other car manufacturer for that matter misses by not being able to offer accessories that integrate with the car after the original purchase? So many forums here are about adding features that could have been specified new, but are either impossible or very difficult / expensive to fit if you decide you want them later. I wonder why they cannot make complete modules for things like BT, Sat Nav, DVD entertainment etc even if these had to be dealer fit. Some things have actually got harder like car radios now being integrated into the dash or again with Sat Nav.
Well BMW what about it?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

I agree.
BMW is missing out on a lot of opportunity AT the dealership level across the board. More and more, car buyers want their cars to stand out, to be individual expressions of "self". One's car is in part an expression of how one sees oneself.

Toyota Scion and BMW MINI are both kicking butt by offering customers a million customization options at time of order. They are basically capitalizing on the after-market modification business. It's smart. I wish BMW would extend that to their core automobiles, both at time of order and after-market at dealer level.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

It would be nice if BMW would offer some performance mods, of its own "brand," to help us out with potential warranty issues from after-market items.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='231015' date='Jan 28 2006, 10:07 AM
I wonder how much missed revenue BMW or any other car manufacturer for that matter misses by not being able to offer accessories that integrate with the car after the original purchase? So many forums here are about adding features that could have been specified new, but are either impossible or very difficult / expensive to fit if you decide you want them later. I wonder why they cannot make complete modules for things like BT, Sat Nav, DVD entertainment etc even if these had to be dealer fit. Some things have actually got harder like car radios now being integrated into the dash or again with Sat Nav.
Well BMW what about it?
Nova Invicta -

I totally understand and share in your frustration on this point. But I believe it is actually a calculated decision by BMW not to offer either (1) aftermarket modifications and (2) retrofits.

There are actually a couple of business reasons for this.

1. Cost. It is expensive both from the front end (research & development) and the back end (warranty and service) for a manufacturer to provide aftermarket accessories.

2. Reverse loyalty = profit margin. By not making retrofit kits for things like BT, Navigation, etc., it forces the consumer (me, you, everyone else) to buy a whole brand new BMW just to "upgrade" into these new options, e.g. BT. So the thinking goes like this ... "You bought an 04 545i and now you want BT? Well, lets make that person buy a whole new 07 550i to get that total handsfree experience." Sinister, yes. But it works for the bottom line ($$) for BMW.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Totally wrong, IMHO.
Look at the success of Toyota Scion and BMW Cooper MINI- both are leading the trend of offering increased personalization/ customization. The reason is not: you want BT, buy a new car= loyalty. It is instead: buy a car with everything you want, any choice, both now and later, and your car will express who you are, and you'll be extrmely loyal.
It's working for both Scion and MINI.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by cattman' post='231112' date='Jan 28 2006, 06:02 PM
Totally wrong, IMHO.
Look at the success of Toyota Scion and BMW Cooper MINI- both are leading the trend of offering increased personalization/ customization. The reason is not: you want BT, buy a new car= loyalty. It is instead: buy a car with everything you want, any choice, both now and later, and your car will express who you are, and you'll be extrmely loyal.
It's working for both Scion and MINI.
Yeah but I don't think that's BMW's intended demographic these days.

There was once a time when 2002's ruled the land and BMW owners were all relatively young enthusiasts who would've loved to personalize their cars. But now BMW's core customers are mostly just executives, not enthusiasts anymore. I see TONS of BMWs where I am and I can tell just by looking that the person driving the car is not an enthusiast. They probably just got the car because it is a "nice" car. Nowadays I see another E60 every 3 blocks in NYC, but I have yet to see another car with red reflectors, let alone the M Kit. BMW of Manhattan's sales manager told me 90% of their volume is through leasing, and their service dept told me that 99% of all cars that passes through for service are bone stock - no personalization, not even a different kind of BMW OEM wheel.

I happen to think BMWNA is very conservative. Since so many ppl lease their cars, it'd be a pain for BMW to deal with selling a car after it has come off a lease and if it was personalized with options that no one else would want. That is why the BMW Individual program has never existed in the US, and although BMW AG keeps insisting that BMW Individual will arrive in the US, it has never materialized.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for BMW to start offering BMW Individual and some OEM performance accesories. Porsche offers a Sports Exhaust for their cars, and I would love for BMW to offer their own. But at this price point, the customer base for personalization can only go so far. Porsche offers Techquipment - a program where a customer can specify almost anything and they'll make it for you - paint to sample, full leather/carbon fiber/wood/metal interiors, etc. But you know what? Its actually not that popular among Porsche customers. When you order a Ferrari, they'll make it however you damn please. But you know what? 70% of customers still order their Ferrari in the traditional Rosso Corsa Red - even when they admit that other colors look better. They don't deviate from the norm because they're worried about resale value down the line. If I were to order a Mini, I'd get it in a crazy color with striples, union jack roof, and go nuts with the personalization. Its only a $20k car, I won't take that big a hit on resale. But if I were to order a Porsche, a Ferrari (or BMW), I would think twice about getting something really personalized, cause I could lose a whole lot more than $20k during resale.

My point boils down to this -
Yes, I wished BMW offered more personalization. But as the market shows, the more expensive the car, the less likely that customers will actually take advantage of such program. The more expensive the car, the more conservatively spec'ed it tends to be. Minis and Scions are fun cars and are relatively cheap. BMWs are not. Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Members

All excellent points, all points well stated.

However, let's back up and not talk about extreme paint job personalization, etc. The basics, at order and at the parts dept. would please an owner and not affect resale. For example: you ordered your car without NAV, but now you want? Sure, $800. You ordered your car before BT, and now you want it? Sure, $800. None of those kinds of after-build mods would impact resale- they'd be a moot point.

Whatever, I guess it would be nice to add a thing here or there, but we've both got good points. You're right, most BMW owners wouldn't care (unlike Scion or MINni owners)- hence, why add the expense at the factory or dealer level to offer that service.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I totaly agree... BMW screwed up wih E60 here..... even their what is supposed to be retrofit kits are not really intergrated.... like the DVD players, back screen... bad bad bad.... no integration to I-drive, wire cutting involved and the worst part - drilling hole in to the car body!!!! no way for me man

oh well but it is really the ultimate driving machine as opposed to the Rice & Sushi multimedia cars
Old 01-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Ok guys u r right, but do u think BMW gives a s*it wat we want, they decide and they know then we 2 buy their cars, so they are investing effort, money in these stuffs, unfortunatelly...

I think that headrest lcd are cool but maybe only 4 tv pimp my ride, why do anybody need two different sources in the back do you think one want to see Titanic and the other like Rambo 1???

I think best is the flip down bigger " lcd...

and from drvr point of view BMW thinks it gives sheer driving pleasure and we can all go to a cinema
Old 01-29-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by ats77' post='231333' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:10 AM
and from drvr point of view BMW thinks it gives sheer driving pleasure and we can all go to a cinema
I better rent a DVD so my baby does not have to sit infront of the movie theatre at night

Quick Reply: A missed opportunity by BMW