E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Millers Power EcoMax

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Guys, I have been facing noisey and rough engine feel from my LCI 525d thanks to the impure diesel quality in India.

Was earlier recommended by the forum to use Millers Diesel Power Sport 4. But the product has been replaced with the EcoMax.
Link: http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers...UTO_RETAIL.htm

Would like to know of review of the same...

Also are there any other recommended products similar to this that could help resolve my bad fuel quality problems?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

"Which?" magazine in the UK (the Consumers Association publication) did a review on various fuel additives a couple of months ago.
They tested (for diesels) Millers Sport 4, Wynns Supremium Diesel, Redex 0-60 Cetane Booster and PD-5 Fuel Treatment.
PD-5 was the only one that they detected any change in performance (a 1.7% increase in torque!).
None of the additives was recommended.
The test car was a 2005 Vectra 1.9 CDTi
The last time I looked, the Millers was the ONLY one that stated it was OK to use with Euro IV cars with Particle filters, so I would use the others with care if you have a DPF.
The benefits of extra lubrication for the diesel pumps was not investigated or even mentioned.

I'll continue to use Millers (EcoMax when my supply of Sport 4 dries up) as I get 1 - 2 mpg better overall fuel consumption when I use it.

Mike
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Mike- I think all LCI cars have DPF. My pipes are bent downwards.

How is your experience with millers? Any noticable performance gains? Noise & smoke reduction if at all?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

If your pipes are bent downwards, you don't have a DPF (There will be no service countdown for replacing this in your iDrive either)

My car has never smoked as it has a DPF.

No noticeable gains in performance - my first impression, when I started using it that it seemed to actually accelerate slower, but that just may have been the weather conditions on the day. I don't have any performance issues with my car.

I have done over 25000 miles since I bought the car. I started using it soon after I got the car, but stopped after I'd done around 5000 miles in it. I keep a record of my fuel usage, and over the following few thousand miles (I forget the figures now, but I have them in the car if you want my consumption down to 1 decimal place!!) my fuel consumption got worse. Having done what I consider to be a representative overall comparison, I decided to go back on the Sport 4 to get better fuel consumption. Whether it is cost-effective to do this, I don't know, and I can't say that I am bothered. I use Sport 4 for its extra lubrication properties for the diesel pumps. Again, this is probably a pointless exercise, as all I am doing is spending money so that the next owner (or the one after) may get some benefit!!

BTW, I got similar fuel consumption gains when I removed my swirl flaps!
It is now not unusual for me to average over 40mpg - something that previously I had to drive carefully to achieve.

Mike
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Members

Mike- I am not looking to do this for better fuel consumption nor am I looking for any major power gains. My biggest concern is to combat poor diesel fuel quality which has resulted in roughness,engine clatter and smoke at times. Basically what I want is refinement from the engine.