E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Michelin PS2 vs. Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on my E60 for the past few years. I am getting near the time for a new set of tires, and I am wondering if there is much difference betweenthe PS2 vs. the Super Sports?

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the difference in these tires?

I live in Florida, so I use summer tires year-round. Wet handling is very important because it rains daily here during the summer.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Is the miles wear supposed to be the same? My PS2's are in the same boat and I will try a set of Conti's only becasue I got them so cheap I couldn't say no. I imagine I will go back to the PS2's once these are worn out. Winter Park, FL? Sounds like you might get a lot of snow down there... lol
Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Is the miles wear supposed to be the same? My PS2's are in the same boat and I will try a set of Conti's only becasue I got them so cheap I couldn't say no. I imagine I will go back to the PS2's once these are worn out. Winter Park, FL? Sounds like you might get a lot of snow down there... lol
According to TireRack.com the Super Sports wear longer, but I'm not sure whether the difference is noticable. The biggest difference I could see was the tread pattern. The PS2 tires have a thick groove in the middle of the tires, while the Super Sports do not. I was wondering if that changes the wet road performance?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

I have the Super Sports on my 550. I have about 20,000 miles on the current set and have moderate wear in the rear and less moderate wear in the front. I drive very aggressively and expect to replace the rear around 35,000 miles. I live in Houston where it rains frequently as we're right off the gulf coast and I find wet road traction to be superior to the Continental DWS tires and about on par with the Pirelli P Zeros.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Members

All you want to know! Basically, the PSS is the new and improved ps2. http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t_super_sport/

Tire rack also tests them and has a video of the testing on their site. After researching, I picked mine up at Costco for the cheapest price. Plus through Costco you get free roadhazard and free lifetime rotate and balance. Every couple of months they have $60-$70 off when you buy a set of 4 tires.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 550i

I have a set of PSS on my 550 and I can say they're prone to aquaplaning. The tyre has awesome grip in dry and wet weather, just watch out if there's a lot of water on the road. I still love them though
Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by soccerfro22
All you want to know! Basically, the PSS is the new and improved ps2. http://www.motortren...ot_super_sport/

Tire rack also tests them and has a video of the testing on their site. After researching, I picked mine up at Costco for the cheapest price. Plus through Costco you get free roadhazard and free lifetime rotate and balance. Every couple of months they have $60-$70 off when you buy a set of 4 tires.
YUP YUP! I concur. Costco is the cheapest place to purchase Michelins and Bridgestone Blizzaks!!! And you can't beat the lifetime rotation and balance!!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tprenaldo
YUP YUP! I concur. Costco is the cheapest place to purchase Michelins and Bridgestone Blizzaks!!! And you can't beat the lifetime rotation and balance!!

I forgot to mention - they also fill with nitrogen for free, which is an up-charge everywhere else I've seen. And they'll top off your tires with nitrogen for free as needed!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Cool. I've ordered my PSS tires from Tire Rack. There's a $70 mail-in rebate, too.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Get ps2!

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 vs. Super Sports