E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire review

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the PSS taken off the car so I thought I'd post my thoughts. First off, excellent tire for what they are designed for. They are a high performance, summer-only tire that have Dry and Wet capability. Tires are very quiet and have excellent grip on hot, dry surfaces. For every other condition though, they fall short.

Even when they were new, their performance in the wet was not good at all. The fronts will hydroplane very easily and the rears feel like they want to step out with even very slight throttle movements. This might not be deal breaker for some, but in Texas, when it rains it pours. These tires also have no grip at temperatures below 50 degrees. Pulling out of my driveway in the mornings will cause the TC light to flash fervently trying to cut power to the rears, but in the evenings when its around 80 degrees, they are like glue. Although this is to be expected from a max performance summer tire, it was just kind of surprising at how quickly the grip dropped off.

Also, although Michelin puts a 30,000 mile tread warranty on these tires, it is the ONLY company that will cut the warranty in half for rear tires with staggered fitments. In other words, since my rears are 275 and fronts are 245, the rears have 15k warranty while the fronts have 30k warranty. This became in issue for me since my rear tires lasted all of 9,000 miles on my car, roughly one summer and one winter season. Although I got back $100 per tire, I'd really like to see them last longer, especially since they were >$300 new.

I have since put on Continental DWS tires on the rears as a replacement. While they might not grip as well as the PSS on hot summer days, for every other occasion, I think they will excel. Also, continental puts a 50,000 mile tread warranty on the tire regardless if they are staggered fitment or not. Hopefully, they'll last longer than the PSS. It's funny though how the car behaves now with new, sticky rears, and the half-worn PSS up front. The car definitely understeers way more than it used to, as if the active steering stopped working and more input is required to get the front to turn. If it becomes a prominent issue with the handling, I might switch the fronts sooner than expected as well. Anyways, just wanted to give my .02c for anyone looking to buy performance tires.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 550i

Would've been nice if I had read this 2 days ago before I ordered my 20ies :/ Oh well, I guess I'll have to see for myself how they are
Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

This idea of tread warranty is hilarious.

You have more chance of flying than getting 50,000 miles out of ANY tyre on an E60

What is the get out clause?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF
This idea of tread warranty is hilarious.

You have more chance of flying than getting 50,000 miles out of ANY tyre on an E60

What is the get out clause?

LOL, I love the idea of a tread warranty. Obviously the rears are going to get nowhere near 50k, but when they don't, I get a good bit of money back for them .
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

The manufacturers know that and just add the potential rebate into the price, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Contributors

Tires are all about compromises ... sooo many of them > grip v tread life v price v noise v corning v wet v dry v noise ... give on one to get another and the list goes on. That said, some tires' reputation seem to stick even though they get slippery or wear faster than the smile they put on your face in the twisties
Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I currently have Michelin pilot sport 2 and they also come with a 50,000 warranty if you maintain and rotate them. I can't on mine so the warranty does not apply or I have heard its reduced by 50%. The wear has also been pretty good as well. At this point they are starting to get a little noisy due to the wearing so I will replace them in the next months. Either way, they are great tires but a bit expensive. I ordered a set of Continental DWS from a friend at work for 1/2 price so at 450.00 for four tires I figured I would give them a try.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Interesting. I've been driving on my Pilot Super Sports on my M5 for a year now and even in the cold weather or wet weather, they do decent. I push my car pretty hard and took the beast into Manhattan at least a half a dozen times this winter and it held up great in cold and wet conditions. Hmmm....
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

dont do it. the worst tires ive ever owned were the Confidential DW Extreme Contact tires...the only thing that may be worse are Toyo Proxes...

on the other hand, last summer i had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s and i loved them....if you plan to downgrade to the Conti's look for a huge drop off in performance with the ONLY positive being a cheaper (and i mean that in multiple ways) tire...

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I currently have Michelin pilot sport 2 and they also come with a 50,000 warranty if you maintain and rotate them. I can't on mine so the warranty does not apply or I have heard its reduced by 50%. The wear has also been pretty good as well. At this point they are starting to get a little noisy due to the wearing so I will replace them in the next months. Either way, they are great tires but a bit expensive. I ordered a set of Continental DWS from a friend at work for 1/2 price so at 450.00 for four tires I figured I would give them a try.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Love my PSS2's. PSS2's + xi + Gingerman raceway and I am still learning how to drive the car hard enough to get some tire squeel. Traction is crazy good.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire review