E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Matthew's CDV experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

So I took "Brunhilde" to Performing Imports in Roswell over lunch to see about getting the CDV replaced with Dave Zeckhousen's modified CDV. We got the car up on the rack and got a chance to check out the underbody.

It's amazing! Almost the entire underbody is covered by diffusers and other aero-friendly panels to manage the airflow under the car. This is certainly one reason why our cars have drag coefficients that are so low. Didn't have the camera, but I will try to take some pics next Wednesday when I have the CDV replaced. It's wedged up by the left exhaust bank catalytic converter, so they have to let the car sit for a while to cool off before they can take off the panels and reach the CDV.

Ronald, the shop proprieter, and his technicians were well and truly amazed at the construction of the vehicle as well as all of the thought and engineering that went into the underbody and suspension. I got to see the active anti-roll bars, and all of the cool gizmos.

They admitted to not having "warmed" up to the new body style of the 5er, but they said that in the metal it looks way better than in pictures, which is completely true. Interestingly, they all liked the new 6er and 7er. Since they're pretty old school bimmerphiles, I thought it was interesting to hear their opinion on the new shapes coming from Munich.

I'm loving this car more and more (insert Silly Ass Grin here)...

-MrB
Old 06-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for sharing that. I remember always thinking about what a terrific job BMW did with the E39 540 undercarriage -- especially the exhaust system.

I've been anxious to take a look at the new one, just haven't had any opportunity.

Now I feel like I've seen it already. Can't wait until you post some pics!
Old 06-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Ohhhhh, I'm so jealous. I'm going to try to head over there early next week. Thanks for the tip. Just a stuiped question, but what will this replacement get you?

thanks,

james
Old 06-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Jun 17 2004, 05:44 PM
Ohhhhh, I'm so jealous. I'm going to try to head over there early next week. Thanks for the tip. Just a stuiped question, but what will this replacement get you?

thanks,

james
The CDV is a restrictor valve situated between the master and slave clutch cylinders that supposedly evens out clutch engagement/disengagement to prevent damage from "dumping" the clutch at high RPMs. Unfortunately, this causes the clutch to "slip" on virtually every shift, especially in the 0-1, 1-2, and 2-3 shifts.

By replacing the stock CDV with one that's been "opened," you get a much more accurate clutch response. Your clutch will also last much longer since it's not slipping as much (assuming that you are a proficient stick-shift driver).

The short shift kit will shorten the "throws" between each gear. They typically accomplish this by moving the pivot location higher up towards the shift knob.

I might also get the guy to replace my clutch fluid with a more high-performance fluid; I've read that a good clutch fluid will really help out on the shifting, too.

Obviously, this only applies to manual tranny cars. I think that Ronald will drill the OEM one out, or you can buy one that's been modified a little more carefully from Dave Zeckhausen Racing (http://www.zeckhausen.com).

-MrB
Old 06-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the info.

I have an automatic, so that won't help me! I'm still planning on going by and checking this place out.

I used to replace the oil in my Saleen Mustang with the Slick 50 adative, but I'm not sure if these cars would get anything out of that.

I just ordered a bunch of new cleaning stuff from Griots garage, so I'm looking forward to a fathers day weekend of detailing my baby (without my other babies interupting!).

Have a great weekend.

James