E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Magnaflow 14862 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock 2004 530i with most options. 18" M5 look alike wheels Bought August 2008 with 34k on it. 2006 Range Rover Sport with K&N filter and Borla cat back exhaust. Maybe a Defender soon or an old M3 to play with, although the wife has other ideas!

So after reading the forum and doing some research, I opted for the Magnaflow 14862 for my 530. To make a long story short, I had it installed Friday afternoon and by noon Saturday , I was at a muffler shop having it cut off and the factory unit reinstalled. This thing is the biggest piece of $%^& I have ever encountered. The tone was ok at idle, but under normal driving conditions, it sounded like a mail truck and only got worse the more I drove it. Friday night I rummaged through the garage and found some Dynamat that I have had since my audio days and lined every possible square inch of the trunk and rear pan but to no avail. The noise level was still unbearable. I even doubled it up in many places.

I know many of you have this setup on your 545 and are quite pleased, but to all you that have a six cylinder, take the 250.00 and if you want to piss it away, go to a strip bar or massage joint. The smile on your face will be ten times bigger than if you buy this "exhaust".

Maybe its time to look into a Borla or stick strickly to exterior enhancements?

PS- this was a muffler swap only and all resonators and factory components from the muffler forward were untouched.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by roverfanatic' post='686074' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:54 PM
So after reading the forum and doing some research, I opted for the Magnaflow 14862 for my 530. To make a long story short, I had it installed Friday afternoon and by noon Saturday , I was at a muffler shop having it cut off and the factory unit reinstalled. This thing is the biggest piece of $%^& I have ever encountered. The tone was ok at idle, but under normal driving conditions, it sounded like a mail truck and only got worse the more I drove it. Friday night I rummaged through the garage and found some Dynamat that I have had since my audio days and lined every possible square inch of the trunk and rear pan but to no avail. The noise level was still unbearable. I even doubled it up in many places.

I know many of you have this setup on your 545 and are quite pleased, but to all you that have a six cylinder, take the 250.00 and if you want to piss it away, go to a strip bar or massage joint. The smile on your face will be ten times bigger than if you buy this "exhaust".

Maybe its time to look into a Borla or stick strickly to exterior enhancements?

PS- this was a muffler swap only and all resonators and factory components from the muffler forward were untouched.
Can you post pics, including the mounting brackets?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Sorry to hear about your experience..

Why do you think the V8 will sound differfent than the I6 in the 530i? IMHO - the engine is smaller so it wont roar as much as the 545. no? So, if it's that deafening in the 530i, than the 545i will totally sound crazeee...
Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Glad I read this, I have been debating a exhuast for last couple of weeks. I think I will stick to stock! I like how quiet it is, I don't want it to sound bad.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)
Talking

Ok...let me first take a deep breath (something I advise for you guys too)...

I recently installed my Magnaflow 14862 on my 2006 550i. I will admit that there is a noticeable difference in interior "calmness". There is a low droning sound at slow speeds, especially when RPMs are between 1500 and 3500, but not unbarable by any means.

Funny, I had to pick-up my Aunt and Uncle for a wedding (in their 70s and have BMWs and Mercedes for the past 20 years)and I was really concerned they were going to say "Sounds like you need a new muffler", because of the sound; however, nothing. So that was a major pass on the "annoying sound" test.

It is definitely aggressive, but nowehere near as annoying as Dinan or other high performance exhaust sounds. Some of the cars I've been around lately sound like F-17 fighters or NASCAR at full throttle. Not good for regular driving.

My wife says she hears me coming from around the corner (quiet neighborhood in Queens),but that it sounds nice, not obnoxious.

Its all preference and I prefer some sportiness to go with my led foot. If this were a daily commuter going to the morgue for work everyday, definitely would be a pass. BUT, if you are into customizing/moding your bimmer and you don't want to spend thousands, this is one of the best mods to do after Sprint Booster.

Don't be scared...the water is fine. The best part, if you really don't like it, you can put your stock two mufflers back on (for 8 cyl/1 muffler for 6 cyl) and you can sell your magnaflow on this board.

I love my car and the muscle sound it now has when I need it...go for it guys...
Old 10-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 530i with most options. 18" M5 look alike wheels Bought August 2008 with 34k on it. 2006 Range Rover Sport with K&N filter and Borla cat back exhaust. Maybe a Defender soon or an old M3 to play with, although the wife has other ideas!

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='686081' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:17 PM
Can you post pics, including the mounting brackets?
The unit has been removed and already discarded so I dont have any pictures. I can tell you that the mechanic fabricated some brackets and welded them to the muffler. He used the factory mounting points with rubber hangers. The muffler tips were centered perfectly in the rear valance and the larger than stock tips looked great. Then you started the car and............................
Old 10-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Originally Posted by roverfanatic' post='686268' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:49 AM
The unit has been removed and already discarded so I dont have any pictures. I can tell you that the mechanic fabricated some brackets and welded them to the muffler. He used the factory mounting points with rubber hangers. The muffler tips were centered perfectly in the rear valance and the larger than stock tips looked great. Then you started the car and............................

Curious, Why did you purchase in the first place? What were your expectations to begin with?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Gregg...remind me to hear yours again (IF THERE IS A NEXT MEET) before the move......to magnaflow
Old 10-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='686267' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:45 AM
Ok...let me first take a deep breath (something I advise for you guys too)...

I recently installed my Magnaflow 14862 on my 2006 550i. I will admit that there is a noticeable difference in interior "calmness". There is a low droning sound at slow speeds, especially when RPMs are between 1500 and 3500, but not unbarable by any means.

Funny, I had to pick-up my Aunt and Uncle for a wedding (in their 70s and have BMWs and Mercedes for the past 20 years)and I was really concerned they were going to say "Sounds like you need a new muffler", because of the sound; however, nothing. So that was a major pass on the "annoying sound" test.

It is definitely aggressive, but nowehere near as annoying as Dinan or other high performance exhaust sounds. Some of the cars I've been around lately sound like F-17 fighters or NASCAR at full throttle. Not good for regular driving.

My wife says she hears me coming from around the corner (quiet neighborhood in Queens),but that it sounds nice, not obnoxious.

Its all preference and I prefer some sportiness to go with my led foot. If this were a daily commuter going to the morgue for work everyday, definitely would be a pass. BUT, if you are into customizing/moding your bimmer and you don't want to spend thousands, this is one of the best mods to do after Sprint Booster.

Don't be scared...the water is fine. The best part, if you really don't like it, you can put your stock two mufflers back on (for 8 cyl/1 muffler for 6 cyl) and you can sell your magnaflow on this board.

I love my car and the muscle sound it now has when I need it...go for it guys...

Glad yours is good. I have a Borla cat back (It is dual) on my Range Rover Sport and it sounds nice. Good tone, little drone, and definately gave the 6500lb beast a little extra oomph. I have a friend who has the same exhaust on the same vehicle, except his is the supercharged model , and it sounds completely different. Perhaps the 545/550 with the V8 has a different exhaust design, header, or whatever to give a throatier and more performance oriented sound than the 6 cylinder cars?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by roverfanatic' post='686278' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:58 AM
Glad yours is good. I have a Borla cat back (It is dual) on my Range Rover Sport and it sounds nice. Good tone, little drone, and definately gave the 6500lb beast a little extra oomph. I have a friend who has the same exhaust on the same vehicle, except his is the supercharged model , and it sounds completely different. Perhaps the 545/550 with the V8 has a different exhaust design, header, or whatever to give a throatier and more performance oriented sound than the 6 cylinder cars?
Mine is good too. My video and sound clip links are in my signature below.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 14862 Experience