E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M54 performance upgrades/software?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT
Default M54 performance upgrades/software?

Hello,
just wondering if there are such things as performance parts for an m54 motor. id like to go with a tune or something of that sort before i start bolting things on to the motor. however its a m54b25 so a 2.5L... little motor. car has a manual transmission.

im by NO means trying to make it a "race car", and no i shouldn't have purchased a car with a bigger motor..
im in love with the car but have aesthetically fulfilled my wants, now to any performance parts if applicable. if these sort of parts don't exsit, its not the end of the world. i suppose i could slap on the m54b30 intake manifold.. however asking about a tune first.
thanks for your time
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Hey I have been wanting to do the same thing! I would love to hear what others would have to say on this topic!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Honestly Bill your options are probably going to be pretty limited short of going FI or something crazy like that. If I were in your shoes (and I am, kinda since I have an '04 530i) I'd just go for a basic set of bolt-ons and be happy with whatever gains you get. There are software upgrades available for M54 variants used in the E46 and E39, so I don't see why they wouldn't also work in the E60. I'd talk to Turner, BavAuto, etc about that and see what your options are. Other than that, it's RPI scoop, high-po air filter, cat-back exhaust and that's about it. Anything beyond that you're talking about cams, etc. The fact that there isn't much to be had without major surgery should tell you that BMW does a damn good job of tuning its NA motors, it's pretty much always been that way too.

cheers.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 525i

I think I have the same engine? I have a 525i e61. Does this sound right? I'm not too up on engine specis/ numbers yet.

It's the only thing I don't like about the car. I can see why people buy thr diesels for the torque as there isn't a deal on the 2.5l petrol. It's a lovely smooth engine and the rest of the car is great. It probably just feels slow because my last car was rediculously fast.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
Honestly Bill your options are probably going to be pretty limited short of going FI or something crazy like that. If I were in your shoes (and I am, kinda since I have an '04 530i) I'd just go for a basic set of bolt-ons and be happy with whatever gains you get. There are software upgrades available for M54 variants used in the E46 and E39, so I don't see why they wouldn't also work in the E60. I'd talk to Turner, BavAuto, etc about that and see what your options are. Other than that, it's RPI scoop, high-po air filter, cat-back exhaust and that's about it. Anything beyond that you're talking about cams, etc. The fact that there isn't much to be had without major surgery should tell you that BMW does a damn good job of tuning its NA motors, it's pretty much always been that way too.

cheers.
Yeah, Im starting to see there isn't much out there. Active autowerks has some performancece software/ re mapping for our cars. Not sure though, I've inquired.. Waiting to hear back.
I've been wondering what my better option is when considering an rpi scoop and Bmc drop in filter. Or, going with a CAI. I've seen and read the negative reviews but it seems to be just the turbo'd car owners..
Or possibly the rpi scoop(s)to channel the air into the engine bay with, then use a cold air intake so it's stops is from being a hot air intake?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Bill109
Yeah, Im starting to see there isn't much out there. Active autowerks has some performancece software/ re mapping for our cars. Not sure though, I've inquired.. Waiting to hear back.
I've been wondering what my better option is when considering an rpi scoop and Bmc drop in filter. Or, going with a CAI. I've seen and read the negative reviews but it seems to be just the turbo'd car owners..
Or possibly the rpi scoop(s)to channel the air into the engine bay with, then use a cold air intake so it's stops is from being a hot air intake?
I have an RPI scoop on my car with a stock air filter. I mainly did it for the claimed increase in power at highway speeds, and its relatively cheap 'bling' factor. M54 powered E60 are just not going to be speed demons unless you supercharge it, and for that kind of money you may as well buy a second car (E46 330i) and make it a track car for when you want to go fast. Your car (and mine) are nice, solid, classy, cruising BMWs, and I'd just learn to appreciate the car for what it is because that's all it ever will be.

cheers
Old 05-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
I have an RPI scoop on my car with a stock air filter. I mainly did it for the claimed increase in power at highway speeds, and its relatively cheap 'bling' factor. M54 powered E60 are just not going to be speed demons unless you supercharge it, and for that kind of money you may as well buy a second car (E46 330i) and make it a track car for when you want to go fast. Your car (and mine) are nice, solid, classy, cruising BMWs, and I'd just learn to appreciate the car for what it is because that's all it ever will be.

cheers
I've got the mod bug biting now it's cars season here on the east coast ! Maybe I'll do some more research on the cai's and make a decision between a scoop or a cold air Intake.. Maybe with a cai my cars custom exhaust will sound a little deeper. Your right, it is simply just a cruiser.
I've owned the car for 3 years and still love it like the day I purchased it. Lol