E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

m5 rear conversion and warranties

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I've been trying to make the rear of my into a m5 look, but I am not sure how this is going to work with voiding BMW warranty. Since the stock exhaust would not fit the m5 bumper, in order to do this conversion, I'd have to move the exhaust out a little bit more. By doing so, am I going to void the bmw warranty? I'm not worried about the exhaust on the other side since it will not be connected to the actual exhaust sytem. Please reply to let me know how to make the m5 rear conversion and not void the original warranty. Thank you all.

George
Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

By federal law the dealer/BMW cannot void your warranty if you make changes to your car. However if something goes wrong on your car the dealer can refuse to honor the warranty if they can prove the modification caused the problem. Some dealers look the other way, some are jerks.

I had an 06 M3 with lots of mods although nothing to the motor or trans. The dealer never said a word but I have bought a lot of cars from them.

You should be fine, they just won't cover what you change, the exhaust etc.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Members

My Ride: * 2010 BMW 528i M Sport * 2010 BMW X5 M Blue * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Silver Gray * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Black Sapphire, Auburn Dakota Leather. * 2006 530I Monaco Blue / Grey, M-Tech Front and M5 rear bumper and side skirts. M5 lip spoiler. M5 166M wheels.

Hello George,
I am in process of installing a M5 bumper on my 2006 530i. I checked with my BMW service adviser regarding the warranty. I was told that this conversion it won't void the warranty as long the components are BMW OEM. Regarding the exhaust upgrade: same thing, as long the modification is after the CAT converter BMW doesn't care.
George, I am not sure what do you mean: move the exhaust a little bit. I would like to ensure you that the stock muffler has no room to be moved. You are taking a risk to burn the bumper. Few months ago I was planning to fake the passages side exhaust and move the driver side (just like you) but after I did some research and now when I have my M5 bumper almost installed I think differently. I can wait to get my Remus quad exhaust installed on Monday and drive without risk to damage my new M5 bumper.

For reference check the link below: (all credits goes to Wayne)
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53789

Georgio

Originally Posted by shihwei' post='571938' date='Apr 30 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi all,
I've been trying to make the rear of my into a m5 look, but I am not sure how this is going to work with voiding BMW warranty. Since the stock exhaust would not fit the m5 bumper, in order to do this conversion, I'd have to move the exhaust out a little bit more. By doing so, am I going to void the bmw warranty? I'm not worried about the exhaust on the other side since it will not be connected to the actual exhaust sytem. Please reply to let me know how to make the m5 rear conversion and not void the original warranty. Thank you all.

George