E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 Mirrors retrofit advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d M Sport Lci

If they havent sold already I have an oportunity to buy OEM pre-9/2005 M5 mirrors with all the options except the auto dim feature. My current mirrors only have the heated mirror feature its 2007 lci,.

I have read rsyed's diy, and im aware it is possible to make them work and i have also read Bruces diy for the puddle light, im aware there is a way to make them fold, although not all clear on that as yet.

What I really want to know is, is it worth me buying these or should I wait for newer models to come up at some point.

I am aware that the controller is no longer on the door as mine is an lci, but does this mean that it is easier to do or harder to do.

I only really ever had 2 mods planned for this car one was the mirrors and the other is the ACM, which I have spoken to bruce regarding this already, so it looks like ill do the mirrors first if you guys out there think it is worth the trouble or not, and if they havent been sold yet.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Contributors

I'm going to buy the replica M5 mirrors tomorrow and its just the mirror, housing, and fold-up manually. No puddle light and no auto-dim. Grand total ??? $345. I'll take that over $1300-$1500 any day esspecially considering the replica ones look EXACTLY like OEM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport package- Sapphire black

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I'm going to buy the replica M5 mirrors tomorrow and its just the mirror, housing, and fold-up manually. No puddle light and no auto-dim. Grand total ??? $345. I'll take that over $1300-$1500 any day esspecially considering the replica ones look EXACTLY like OEM.

From where or you getting the replica M5 mirrors?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e60lifestyle
From where or you getting the replica M5 mirrors?

www.nvdautosport.com. PM Member NVD.

If you guys want to hold off I should have these on my car within 2 weeks or so and I'll post a review / pictures on the whole thing.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport package- Sapphire black

Originally Posted by Howitzer
www.nvdautosport.com. PM Member NVD.

If you guys want to hold off I should have these on my car within 2 weeks or so and I'll post a review / pictures on the whole thing.

Great will do, please let us know.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Contributors

I will!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 520i S/E LCI mod.6-2008extras:sun roof,PDC ,Xenon,sport packet etc.Mods:Outsite: full look //m5(bumbers/mirrors/fenders/side skirts/trunk finisher/wheels 166/big-brakes-kit //m5)Angel eyes Gp-thunder 8500kInsite: cluster //m5 optik
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dexteryout
If they havent sold already I have an oportunity to buy OEM pre-9/2005 M5 mirrors with all the options except the auto dim feature. My current mirrors only have the heated mirror feature its 2007 lci,.

I have read rsyed's diy, and im aware it is possible to make them work and i have also read Bruces diy for the puddle light, im aware there is a way to make them fold, although not all clear on that as yet.

What I really want to know is, is it worth me buying these or should I wait for newer models to come up at some point.

I am aware that the controller is no longer on the door as mine is an lci, but does this mean that it is easier to do or harder to do.

I only really ever had 2 mods planned for this car one was the mirrors and the other is the ACM, which I have spoken to bruce regarding this already, so it looks like ill do the mirrors first if you guys out there think it is worth the trouble or not, and if they havent been sold yet.
I have to a LCI (6/2008)and retrofit the M5 mirrors.The way i chose to conect the mirrors is simple.
Change the motor from the M5 mirror with the motor from OEM mirror!

First step ,is if you do this job,get out from car the OEM mirror,disconect the 3pin conector.
This 3pin conector have same way to open and pull out the 3wires.Do not cut the cable!!!
This is very important !This wires have 3colors remember to conect again in same position!
Pull out the glass from housing(sorry don't have DIY foto) now you see the motor ,get this motor out and fit this in M5 mirror(yes the the same way you have get out the M5 motor)conect again the 3pin
conector .
For puddle light you must conect with a extra wire on the door light simple to do that.
For auto fold see at the forum for DIY.

This is my way,no program,no problem.
Sorry for bad english.
Aris
Greece
Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Lci

Aris,

Thanks for your help now let me see if they are still available.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by dexteryout
... im aware there is a way to make them fold, although not all clear on that as yet.
Originally Posted by aristent
... For auto fold see at the forum for DIY.

Aris
Greece
Guys, if you have any information on the auto fold feature please post them. I did a search but no hits.
I got auto dimming feature to work but don't know how to make auto fold work or if it is even possible. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Rizbel
Guys, if you have any information on the auto fold feature please post them. I did a search but no hits.
I got auto dimming feature to work but don't know how to make auto fold work or if it is even possible. Thanks.
Take a look at this.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/772...1&#entry881654

Quick Reply: M5 Mirrors retrofit advice