E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 Mirror retrofit for 550

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:05 AM
aR.
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen couple of posts on the message board regarding changing the 550 mirrors to M5 mirrors. First of all Is to doable keeping the full functionality of the M5 mirrors - like when the car is locked the mirror do a tilt to close/ fold? Does these mirros come pre-painted and last but not least- is a difficult project to DIY?

How much is a set of these mirrors are anyway? I have tried going through Archieves but could not get to a right answer for some reason.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Ahsin,

Welcome to the forums!

Hopefully, some of our forum members who have experience with this will chime in but here's what I've been able to determine after doing a little searching on my own...

First, it seems that this is one of those questions that is hard to answer perfectly because of all the variables you have with cars and parts from different countries. There are some posts out there where the mirror's connectors didn't match up to the car's, etc. so it's impossible for me to say for sure about any of this. I think you'll find that there is a "basic" mirror and one that supports the "auto dip" feature (where the mirrors dim themselves at night). I assume your 550 has the auto dip feature but my point is that you have to match the new parts feature for feature or you may run into some problems with connecting things up.

That said, I think it's possible to do a retrofit of the M5 mirrors and maintain full functionality except for the folding part. If your 550 is a US spec car, then the current mirrors don't fold, right? If true, I don't think that installing M5 mirrors will give you the folding feature due to wiring harness and door switch issues. I don't think the mirrors come pre-painted and as far as the DIY goes, again, it's hard to say because I don't know how comfortable you are with doing these types of things. I haven't done it myself but it looks to be something that's doable if you are the type of person who can handle tools, etc. with some degree of skill and patience. Now if you're like my brother-in-law, then forget it!

As far as cost, it looks like the price for the auto dip version is about $630.00 each. In addition to that cost, you might need to add the cost of the mirror glass which is about $100.00 each (if the glass isn't included in the $630 part -- which is quite possible.)

Take a look at the parts information here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d......hg=51&fg=10

And, in case you didn't see some of the more interesting posts here about the retrofit, take a look at these:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&amp...t=7685&st=0
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23443&hl=

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by aR.' post='338087' date='Sep 24 2006, 06:05 PM
I have seen couple of posts on the message board regarding changing the 550 mirrors to M5 mirrors. First of all Is to doable keeping the full functionality of the M5 mirrors - like when the car is locked the mirror do a tilt to close/ fold? Does these mirros come pre-painted and last but not least- is a difficult project to DIY?

How much is a set of these mirrors are anyway? I have tried going through Archieves but could not get to a right answer for some reason.

Thanks

The most important mod if you already have the M aero kit .
I think mirrors cost about $2000 in USA (in my country BMW sells they at 700e+taxes each)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
BlackonBlackonBlack sent me pre-09/05 M5 mirrors for me to find out if it can be install on my post-09/05 550, but it cannot be installed due to the following reason:
M5 Mirror retrofit for 550-doorcontrolmodule.jpg

Post 09/05 does not have the module shown in the first pic, so all three connectors from M5 mirror has nowhere to go.

The original mirror has three pin connectors: power (red), ground (brown), and multiplexed control signal (green). Inside original mirror has a control module that decode signal coming from multiplexed control signal (green), and activate acoordingly to whatever command coming from door switch module.

I tried to power M5 mirror that BBB sent to me, and use original multiplexed control signal (green) to problem every possible pin of M5 mirror connector. None of the function works. The reason is M5 mirror does no understand multiplexed control signal (MCS).

MCS is not a 12V or ground signal, it's a signal that carry multiple control signals that only original mirror control module can decode and acts accordingly.

In case of my post-09/05 E60, signals from door switch go to a control module different from the one shown in pic #1, and that control module encode the signal and send to E60 mirror.

Sound complicated isn't it? It took me more than 3 hours to open up my left side door panel, mirror, and test it it for BBB.

If BBB came here in Bay Area, I can spend another 3 hours to test it on his car. No one here can volunteer to do it on his/her car with BBB mirror.

CoolTones has pre-09/05 mirror on his car, but not all functions works. This is something that needs to be aware of if you're looking for swabbing from original mirror to M5 mirror.

Best Regards,
Fred
Attached Thumbnails M5 Mirror retrofit for 550-img_1130.jpg  
Old 09-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

my530i, would it be possible to switch your current mirror's electronics with the M5 mirror's electronics, or is there not enough room in the M5 mirror housing?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributors

Hi Heiss5,
In terms of fitment, it fits perfectly. Here is the pic of BlackonBlackonBlack's black M5 mirror on my Alpine White 550i. Behind there is the door panel

M5 Mirror retrofit for 550-img_1126.jpg
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by my530i' post='338257' date='Sep 24 2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Heiss5,
In terms of fitment, it fits perfectly. Here is the pic of BlackonBlackonBlack's black M5 mirror on my Alpine White 550i. Behind there is the door panel
I think Heiss5 is referring to swapping the "guts" of the mirror motors, etc. from the original mirror to the M5 mirror housing. Clearly the mirror glass would not be able to be swapped but it's possible that the rest of the guts are swappable...
Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying Rudy.
I guess we can only swab the guts with the same function w/o folding function. In that case we can save at least $200 for both mirrors.
I use the word "guess" because I have not seen the gut of the original mirror, so I'm not so sure. If I had both mirrors at hand, I could find out. I dare not taking the glass part out
Messing up with electronics is no problem for me, but glass? electronics can be fixed, but not glass
Old 09-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by my530i' post='338428' date='Sep 25 2006, 12:50 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying Rudy.
I guess we can only swab the guts with the same function w/o folding function. In that case we can save at least $200 for both mirrors.
I use the word "guess" because I have not seen the gut of the original mirror, so I'm not so sure. If I had both mirrors at hand, I could find out. I dare not taking the glass part out
Messing up with electronics is no problem for me, but glass? electronics can be fixed, but not glass
Hi Fred,

Do you think that E60 made before 12/04 would have the original 3 connectors setup similar to the M5 mirror ?

The glass part is very easy to take out. I replaced my driver glass with the Europe wide angle mirror. All you have to do is to turn the mirror all the way either to the left or right to make room for our fingers to grep the side of the glass. Then you pull the glass off with moderate force.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Contributors

First of all...kudos to Fred (my530i) for taking his own time to try out my mirrors for me! This was just for his entertainment...apparently! Thanks Fred for giving it a shot! My question is regarding the pre 09/05 mirrors I purchased. If they don't fit on any of the U.S. spec cars...would they work for anyone else outside of the U.S. with a pre 09/05 E60? I'm just wondering who could make use of these mirrors along with the switch plate for the tilt-up feature?

Quick Reply: M5 Mirror retrofit for 550