E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 Lip Spoiler & Painted Kidneys

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

looks good!!
I'm getting the M5 trunk lid as well soon.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Hey I notice you got the M5 trunk cover... How'd you get that? How much did that run you?
It was like $400, painted at BMW factory and shipped. Expensive for a piece of plastic, but I LOVE the look of it.

The M5 spoiler looks MUCH better in person than in pics. It's more subtle than I was expecting.

Taking off the first grill was a BITCH. Once the first one was off, however... the other was easy because I could reach inside the bumper and unlock the clips by hand.

I don't think there's an easy way to take off the first kidney without taking the whole front bumper off. I unscrewed the 5 Torx screws that hold the M-tech bumper to the top of the engine compartment. The allowed me to squeeze my hand down inside the bumper to try and reach some of the inside clips, but it was still hard... my fingers are still sore.... and I broke one of the clips on the chrome kidneys in the process. Luckily, all the clips are not necessary for a good fit... so I can still reuse the chrome kidneys in the future. In fact, I think it's probably a good idea to break off the 2 side clips, because they are the hardest to reach. It would make future removal a snap.

The idea to paint my kidneys really came to me years ago, when I owned my 1994 Acura Legend Coupe. On the Legend, the 4 door models had chrome grill surrounds... but the Coupe had a smaller grill opening, with painted surround. I ALWAYS noticed this distinct difference. I also had a Honda Civic EX coupe before that Acura.... and it had a painted grill surround. I noticed that all the lower end models had chrome. So I have noticed a trend of car companies favoring the non-chrome look as the classier, more refined look. So I have converted my E60 now.

As for what's next? I don't know if I will be doing anything more to my 545i. My name is now on the list for an M5, which I will purchase as soon as I can get that chance. So I've decided I won't be dropping any more money into mods on this car, since I will hopefully be trading it in for an M sometime in the next year or 2.

Also had my windshield replaced yesterday. The installer said he could see a rock chip in the glass crack, so that was his suspicion as to the cause. So, it sounds like I am clear to go and get my tint done again.... which is great news. So I'm going to wait a few weeks, and get that 35% tint put back on.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

subterFUSE, i like the rear of your car. Looks really clean!

Good Job
Old 05-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Looks good!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525i, Premium Package, Cold package.

Looks really good.