E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 Folding Mirror Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need your help! I still have my unwrapped M5 mirrors, with the fold-up option and I've also purchased the driver's side switch plate to accommodate the folding mirrors. Long Beach and Crevier BMW cannot do it. Does anyone know of any custom shop or any dealer that can do the re-wiring? It's been done before with M3 mirrors...now I just need to find someone brave enough to do the re-wiring. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hey Black. A few questions. The drivers side switch plate that you bought. What does it have? turn the plate around does it have a module behind it? kind of like this?

M5 Folding Mirror Retrofit-back.jpg

Its basically the back view of this rocker switch panel.

M5 Folding Mirror Retrofit-1.jpg

Ok well I was talking to my friend who's in BMWs STEP program training... he said for the E60 we might have all the parts necessary to make it to work already. We just need to connect it.

So to do that...

Replace_Side_Mirror.pdf

1. We have to remove the door panel. and then behind rocker switch panel (red circle) you'll see this module.

M5 Folding Mirror Retrofit-module.jpg

That has the sensor for the Anti-trap fucntion and other stuff. Not important, but what is improtant is that, that is connected to your outside mirrors with this connection.

M5 Folding Mirror Retrofit-behind_tweeter.jpg

The M5 mirror would either have an extra connection that controls the folding motor which plugs into an un-occupied slot or uses the exisitng connections and the module will know. (* We're not sure, but accoridng to my friend BMW would probably use the same module worldwide but out mirrors dont have the motor and the motor connection part, so the function is there in that module... *)

2. unplug the connection from the module and unscrew the 3 screws that holds the mirror to the door.

3. Obviously reverse the process and isntall the M5 mirror and re-attach the connections.

4. Now we replace the Rocker switch panel. (*with the one you bought that has the folding mirror switch*)

RockerSwitch.pdf

There should be a connection from the back of

Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	16601

that plugs into this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Module.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	16603

It looks and sounds like this is what you'll need to do. Not 100% sure but it looks pretty straight forward.

Anyone else have comments or suggestions on if this will work?

Now only if I would spend this kind of time on studying GRE instead of studying E60.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Contributors

Hey Thanks! It looks straightforward enough...though I'd still rather have someone else mess with it. If it's so simple...why have not more people done it? Anyone out there added the folding mirrors yet??? Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I want to know why too... maybe its not that simple... has anyone just tried this "plug and play" technique?

Is the E60 missing wires just like the Old E39s were?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Good luck I think its more diffucult than it looks....wiring harness is different for the folding mirror option. Guess you will need a good auto electrician to see where a live feed can be found for you to switch via your plate.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Black/Black, every option except HUD

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' post='255393' date='Mar 15 2006, 05:36 PM
I need your help! I still have my unwrapped M5 mirrors, with the fold-up option and I've also purchased the driver's side switch plate to accommodate the folding mirrors. Long Beach and Crevier BMW cannot do it. Does anyone know of any custom shop or any dealer that can do the re-wiring? It's been done before with M3 mirrors...now I just need to find someone brave enough to do the re-wiring. Thanks in advance!

Can't wait to see your final installation! BTW where did you get the mirrors and switch plate?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

If big dealers don't want the job, that means, at a minimum, they haven't got (and can't get from BMWNA) the proper instructions; and quite probably, you don't have the right harness.

Have you ever seen the early 1950 British (and some Euro) cars with the b-pillar-mounted flipper turn signals?

Just consider the possiblities...

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Yeah, I was told it would need addtional wiring. I was given a tech's name...who has since been drafted to Crevier BMW and his SA won't even let me get to him! This guy apparently is a wiz-kid figured out how to wire a folding M3 mirror for a non-M3 car. I actually bought my M5 mirrors before the M5 was available...but now that it is, you can purchase the mirrors and the interior switch plate from any local dealer...they now have all the part numbers.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Black/Black, every option except HUD

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' post='257343' date='Mar 19 2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I was told it would need addtional wiring. I was given a tech's name...who has since been drafted to Crevier BMW and his SA won't even let me get to him! This guy apparently is a wiz-kid figured out how to wire a folding M3 mirror for a non-M3 car. I actually bought my M5 mirrors before the M5 was available...but now that it is, you can purchase the mirrors and the interior switch plate from any local dealer...they now have all the part numbers.

Any luck yet on the installation?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Schpilky' post='258082' date='Mar 21 2006, 11:14 AM
Any luck yet on the installation?
EBMCS03 called me today...he did some sleuthing and was able to get someone in touch with the wiz-tech that may be able to help...now I just have to wait and see if he's willing to do it and see if he's going to contact me...will keep ya'll updated. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed :'(

Quick Reply: M5 Folding Mirror Retrofit