E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 or 535d (DMS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

I said both is the same because beside the LCI (ZF-6HP28) being a little faster to shift than the non-LCI (ZF-6HP26), both has 6 speeds and can handle with a 350hp and 700nm tune that already need to have some limitations to don't get the manifolds warped or pre-wear the turbos and dpf.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 07' 535D E61... no toys except media pack and vis pack

Had exactly the same dilemma myself only a few months ago. Weighed up the M5 pro's and cons, to be honest, cost was only part of it.
I actually like the relaxed effortless power the diesel puts out. It doesn't tingle the spine the way a fast revving petrol lump can, though weigh up how ften you actually do drive in a spirited manner. The diesel really is a stonking performer and never ceases to amaze me.

I too went the emaps route and Simons remap took what was a great power delivery and made it fantastic (for only a third or so of the price DMS will likley still charge). Several good tuners now offer some great service on remapping these.

I love the fact that I can blend in with the scenery if I choose, or when the mood takes me, pull out and put a look of concern on several of the sports saloons and sports car drivers as I close in on them.

Hoestly, the 535D is in my view, a great all rounder. I'm sure the M5 is quicker, the 520D more economical, a 550 more audibly delightful... while my ownership experience is only a few months in, I'd make the same choice again today.

Be sure to get options you want / need... consider the media pack and visibilty pack as must haves (will help at any reasle time). Consider the seats - sports seats in this car do not suit all. The comfort seats are a better choice, though of course, limit the selections.

Good luck and let us know how the decision progress / test drives go.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='1093124' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:25 PM
I said both is the same because beside the LCI (ZF-6HP28) being a little faster to shift than the non-LCI (ZF-6HP26), both has 6 speeds and can handle with a 350hp and 700nm tune that already need to have some limitations to don't get the manifolds warped or pre-wear the turbos and dpf.

Hmmm, strange way to put it. They are different to me. Yes the 26 seeems to handle 700 nm but it is way outside it's design spec and nothing like the 28. It is like comparing the e39 & e60
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

IMHO, the changes don't justify to choose a LCI over a non-LCI. Both work the same way, have the same features, the LCI is only a little bit faster to change gears but that almost don't play in a head to head race. The ecu programmer and driver skills will decide who will be the faster. My car smoked LCI models with agressive ecu programs (+350hp). I bet that you same similar experiences...

If i were in the market i would buy a loaded non-LCI over base LCI in a blink of the eye. If we were talking about a conventional vs a dual-clutch gearbox, only then that could balance it a bit the decision.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

That makes sense. I wud not buy an lci due to alloy block. Not sure how strong it is and how long it will last + the issues they are having with the newer manifolds.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Members

I had a similar dilemma.
I went from an Impreza due to high tax and fuel costs. I wanted to be able to have the choice of the Scooby power when I wanted it but high MPG when I didn't.
Test drove loads of cars from Evo X to Audi 3.0TDI's and an older M5 but the 535D did it for me and I picked mine up early Dec.
Apart from missing 4 wheel drive in the snow I love it to bits! It's a LCI with the silly paddles and sport mode that firms up suspension, adds weight to steering and runs what seems like a different ECU map. Great for the back roads, but I can turn it off on long hauls. Tax is only ?185 a year and insurance is much cheaper than the scoob, best of all on a long run I can get close to 600 miles on a single fill up!
Just weighing up the options on getting it chipped at the moment as I feel it's great as it is!
Only word of advice, good ones are rare in the UK, shop around but if you find a good one move quick, I lost one while on a business trip thinking it would still be available to put a deposit on when I came back.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Members

thanks for the info fellas

i've now decided im going for a 535D

I've found a car (after much searching), it has the non-lci box, but has head up, media pack, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system and a few little bits. i've got used to the old xenons so i'm not over the moon about not having them... but i've come to realise that you can't find the car, without buying new, with all the bits i wanted.

going to see the stealer tomorrow and see if i can work the deal out

do you think the prices will drop much with the new 5 series arriving?

may sound a stupid question, but can you retro-fit xenons to these motors?