E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 or 535d (DMS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guy's

new around here so please be easy on me

i've currently got a MKV Golf R32 which is leaving me in the next 4 weeks.

I've been all over the place looking for a replacement, from a RS4 (B7) to a Range Rover Sport (and lots in between).

I think it's time to try a BMW and after a bit of research and a few test drives of a 530d and the 535d i'm looking to get a 535d and get it remapped after hearing about the good work at DMS .

I'm looking to spend upto 28k. I've found a nice car 535d, 07 plate with a few bits and in a colour combination i like.

The reason for the post is i've just been doing more digging and found you can get a 05/06 plate M5 for the same money as the 535d. I appreciate they're different beasts. I'm looking for something quick and practical - both tick that box. The M5 wins hands down on noise and ability (may be wrong on ability??). I do a bit of driving at the moment (about 18k per year) so the question is are the running costs pocket shattering on the M5? Are they reliable? Am i being insane and should I just go for the 535d? I'm used to 20mpg combined in the Golf although it's cost me next to nothing during the two years i've had it from new.

any opinions from current M5/535d drivers would be greatly appreciated - along with anyone else

Cheers
Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 03/2005 535d M-tech Sapphire black, Beige dakota leather, 18'' Star spoke style 124, Navi professional 8.8', active steering, dynamic and adaptive xenon lights

Originally Posted by magpie2k' post='1088303' date='Jan 11 2010, 09:42 PM
Hi Guy's

new around here so please be easy on me

i've currently got a MKV Golf R32 which is leaving me in the next 4 weeks.

I've been all over the place looking for a replacement, from a RS4 (B7) to a Range Rover Sport (and lots in between).

I think it's time to try a BMW and after a bit of research and a few test drives of a 530d and the 535d i'm looking to get a 535d and get it remapped after hearing about the good work at DMS .

I'm looking to spend upto 28k. I've found a nice car 535d, 07 plate with a few bits and in a colour combination i like.

The reason for the post is i've just been doing more digging and found you can get a 05/06 plate M5 for the same money as the 535d. I appreciate they're different beasts. I'm looking for something quick and practical - both tick that box. The M5 wins hands down on noise and ability (may be wrong on ability??). I do a bit of driving at the moment (about 18k per year) so the question is are the running costs pocket shattering on the M5? Are they reliable? Am i being insane and should I just go for the 535d? I'm used to 20mpg combined in the Golf although it's cost me next to nothing during the two years i've had it from new.

any opinions from current M5/535d drivers would be greatly appreciated - along with anyone else

Cheers
Hi there,

I've 535d almost for one year and I can tell you that this car is absolutly fantastic. Maintenace costs are not very high, fuel economy is very good for the power and comfort you get (combined 9.5l/100km or 28.5 mpg). Price 28k looks little bit low for 2007 LCI model I guess. Check cars milage might be high and DPF filter is due to change after 200k km or 120k miles, cost 1200 euro. Apart from that (DPF)I can't tell bad word about this car. Double check if car has all extras you want because soon you will be looking for them like I was etc. M-tech pacakge, comfort seats, head up display...
For M5 it is very powerfull and expesive car. Fuel cost are huge and stopeed me from buying it, same brakes, filters etc... if you can afford it then get it !!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Members

Just overs 2 years ago I agonised over exactly the same choice. Eventually [ probably as much to do with my wife's diminishing patience with my dithering] I plumped for a new 535d Sport LCI. I love it.

Ran it for a year and then had it re-mapped + delimit by Simon at E-Maps to 350bhp / 700nm ....or so they say. Do I believe it, well I really don't care. Its very quick, especially in normal driving conditions rather than red light drags. In gear performance is blistering when you want it, yet very relaxed. For all the times you can every use all the performance of either car I think I bought the right one for me. Thats the crucial bit.

Cruising 28 mainly motorway miles each way to work each day at 75-80mph [about 1900 rpm!] it averages about 43-44mpg confirmed by fillup rather than OBC. More must be easily available on a gentle right foot run. It gives huge long range abilities.

From the early days of the E34 to the current V10 , M5s have always been my ideal car, and I could have bought a cracker for the price of my 535d but I'm glad I bought mine. They are understated [ish], very reliable [not one fault with mine in 30k] and much cheaper to run / insure.

The ONLY thing missing from the 535d is the burble of a big naturally aspirated V motor. Even the quad exhausts don't do much for the oil burner in the noise stakes.

If you go for a 535d, get the Sport, and make sure its an LCI version as they are more powerful 286hp v 272hp on the older one, better on juice, cheaper to road tax and have a much stronger gearbox. The latter is important if you intend to re-map as BMW didn't have any manual box that could stand the torque fo the standard 535d even before the electronic wizardry.

There are some fantastic deals around now, and try to get one with the LOGIC-7 sound system its spot on.

In the end its your choice that really matters, everyone else will have their view and many that don't have either car will give their tuppence worth.

The sooner you decide, the sooner you get behind the wheel....enjoy!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 03/2005 535d M-tech Sapphire black, Beige dakota leather, 18'' Star spoke style 124, Navi professional 8.8', active steering, dynamic and adaptive xenon lights

If you go for a 535d, get the Sport, and make sure its an LCI version as they are more powerful 286hp v 272hp on the older one, better on juice, cheaper to road tax and have a much stronger gearbox.

SAME GEARBOX friend
Old 01-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

That is an interesting thread. Be that 3 yrs ago I'd recommend getting 535d. After few years and 2 535d's later I'd say do not buy a diesel car. It's hella fast and powerful for sure but if you are looking for the right feeling get a petrol bimmer which will make you happier. No doubt you can find incredible deals on both at this time and you'll save more money with the 535d but I wouldn't do it again and find a 530i LCI instead for the same money with some more options on top. Afterall, power isn't everything and if you still think so, maybe you'd better go off with an AMG E55/CLS55. This really is a tough decision to make. It is my personal opinion though and I love my 535d as well!! Don't get mistaken It's a truly terrific car and the reason I got it for the 2nd time is because of an incredible deal (1/3 of its price for almost a new car with a warranty).

The thing is, the reason people buy diesel cars is because of economy and you won't achieve much better results with 535d than V8 petrol especially if you do so little driving. I'd get an M5 or E55 AMG.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

Gearbox is different. Newer version of the box. Quicker gear changes can handle more torque.

Cheaper road tax?? I pay ?210. Is the LCI cheaper than that? Pretty cool if it is.

M5 12mpg 535d 29mpg. I know what one I would have and do have. Unless you are looking for massive mental power stick with the 535d. Remap it and there is very little on the road that will look at you and nothing will match the MPG V's MPH of your 535d
Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

The only diferrence about gearboxes is the torque converter that is more quicker in the LCI version. All the rest is the same beside the differential ratio that is a bit shorter.

Big power, big fun - M5, no doubt

Big fuel economy, best diesel engine - 535d (LCI or non LCI).

My 535d can keep up with a M5 in P400 mode. Now in P500 only true sport cars can keep up the M5, specially above 100mph (160kph).
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

According to ZF who make the box it is totally new. Stronger & faster. I don't have the doc here I will attach it once home on Friday. Non lci box 600nm lci box 700nm
Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Members

Hi,

Me BAD !!! Checked this carefully today and yes gearbox is slightly different it's improved version of pre LCI
Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Here you go.ZF_gearbox.pdf

Quick Reply: M5 or 535d (DMS)