E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M Tech vs. M5 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Grey on Auburn 545i SMG, Sports Pkg, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, 19" BMW Double Spoke 125.

I'm a newbie to this forum and I have to say that I've found out more about the e60 mods in a couple days than I thought possible. After seeing all the pics of the M Tech body kits, I'm sold and have contacted Tony for the hook up. I was planning to get the M Tech kit with the M5 bumper, mirrors and lip spoiler.

But, I've read a bunch of times that the M5 front bumper is 'more aggessive' looking, and is a better choice. From the few pictures I've seen, I thought they look pretty similar except for the fog lights, but pictures can't substitute for the real life view. So I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the extra effort and money to get the M5 front bumper and fenders instead of just the M Tech.

Does anyone have pics of the two bumpers installed in Titanium Silver for a good comparison? And is the difference really that noticable in real life (ie. would I have some regrets after installing the M Tech and then seeing the full M5 conversion on another car side by side)?

Sorry if this has been discussed a million times already....
Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by badman25' post='450088' date='Jul 20 2007, 08:43 AM
I'm a newbie to this forum and I have to say that I've found out more about the e60 mods in a couple days than I thought possible. After seeing all the pics of the M Tech body kits, I'm sold and have contacted Tony for the hook up. I was planning to get the M Tech kit with the M5 bumper, mirrors and lip spoiler.

But, I've read a bunch of times that the M5 front bumper is 'more aggessive' looking, and is a better choice. From the few pictures I've seen, I thought they look pretty similar except for the fog lights, but pictures can't substitute for the real life view. So I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the extra effort and money to get the M5 front bumper and fenders instead of just the M Tech.

Does anyone have pics of the two bumpers installed in Titanium Silver for a good comparison? And is the difference really that noticable in real life (ie. would I have some regrets after installing the M Tech and then seeing the full M5 conversion on another car side by side)?

Sorry if this has been discussed a million times already....
Well if i were you, i would first think about the fact some people will be angry at you for being a poser or something like that. In my opinion it isn't bad to put on those bumpers and fenders, because you like the looks of it. But remember than to put on as less M5 logos as possible otherwise i wouldn't agree either.

Then also think about needing the fog lights or not...

If you ask me, i like the M5 bumper a lot more also + you get a 'special' car since now almost everybody who wants an agressive looks goes for the mtech bumper.

And then the pictures you asked for:

mtech:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?automodule...si&img=8807

M5 front bumper in titanium silver:
very hard to find one in that color, searched a lot but couldn't find much else than this one from rpav (with race mesh grills and underneath)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=30685
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Members

My Ride: Grey on Auburn 545i SMG, Sports Pkg, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, 19" BMW Double Spoke 125.

Originally Posted by BMW ///M 525xi' post='450164' date='Jul 20 2007, 08:09 AM
Well if i were you, i would first think about the fact some people will be angry at you for being a poser or something like that. In my opinion it isn't bad to put on those bumpers and fenders, because you like the looks of it. But remember than to put on as less M5 logos as possible otherwise i wouldn't agree either.

Then also think about needing the fog lights or not...

If you ask me, i like the M5 bumper a lot more also + you get a 'special' car since now almost everybody who wants an agressive looks goes for the mtech bumper.

And then the pictures you asked for:

mtech:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?automodule...si&img=8807

M5 front bumper in titanium silver:
very hard to find one in that color, searched a lot but couldn't find much else than this one from rpav (with race mesh grills and underneath)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=30685
Thanks for the links to the pics! The M5 does look better, but the M Tech looks pretty good and not that different... I guess I may just go with the M Tech after all.

I noticed there's a general disgust here for people with 'M5 badging'. In my opinion the M5 has been, is, and will always be the greatest car known to man. Therefore, of course I would want my e60 to look as much like that as possible, since I can't afford one. I wouldn't replace the 545i badge with an M5 badge, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get every M off of the car (ie. trie to remove it from the grilles), but that's just me and my view... If people are angry about that, there's not much I can do unless thos angry people want to pool together and pay the difference for me to get an M5, which I'm totally open to!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by badman25' post='450168' date='Jul 20 2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the links to the pics! The M5 does look better, but the M Tech looks pretty good and not that different... I guess I may just go with the M Tech after all.

I noticed there's a general disgust here for people with 'M5 badging'. In my opinion the M5 has been, is, and will always be the greatest car known to man. Therefore, of course I would want my e60 to look as much like that as possible, since I can't afford one. I wouldn't replace the 545i badge with an M5 badge, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get every M off of the car (ie. trie to remove it from the grilles), but that's just me and my view... If people are angry about that, there's not much I can do unless thos angry people want to pool together and pay the difference for me to get an M5, which I'm totally open to!
Hehe no problem man, i like the M5 absolutely too and for an M5 conversion the only little M5 badge i would leave on the conversion would have been the one on the fenders, but that is just my opinion. The mtech kit is overall a very good choice; it gives the car a nice sporty touch and not exagerated.

enjoy!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I agree, the M5 kit looks awesome. Haters will always be haters. Mod your car the way that makes you happy. Who cares if people think you're posin'. They just hatin' cuz their car don't look as nice as yours!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='450183' date='Jul 20 2007, 06:56 AM
I agree, the M5 kit looks awesome. Haters will always be haters. Mod your car the way that makes you happy. Who cares if people think you're posin'. They just hatin' cuz their car don't look as nice as yours!

+1. do whatever you please, but dont slap on the M badge in the rear.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

just to point out some differences between the 2 bumpers besides foglights -

- mkit sticks out farther away from the kidney grills, therefore more of a "nostril" look. m5 bumper is more flush with the kidney, like the stock bumper.
- mkit's edge under the headlights is squared off at the corner of the car. m5's edge under headlights wraps around the corners of the bumper, like stock bumper.
- mkit has a cut-line or crease on the side of the bumper above the foglights.
- mkit's intake have more straight lines, m5's are curvier.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

From my experience on being on this as well as the M5Board, the consensus has been to never put the ///M5 emblem anywhere on your regular E60. Having just the ///M emblem is a bit more tolerable. It seems most M5 owners frown on anything ///M related that's installed on a regular E60 and I personally think it boils down to ego and arrogance.

I don't have any problems with people doing M5 conversion kits on their car (as long as you don't put the ///M5 logo or claim you have an ///M5), but I think the M Tech kit is just as nice. I miss the foglights on my 545. The one thing that you have to consider is that if you put the M5 rear bumper, you'll need to go with quads. If you go with M Tech, then you'd have the option of chaning out the diffuser to go with either dual or quad exhausts.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='450273' date='Jul 20 2007, 10:27 AM
just to point out some differences between the 2 bumpers besides foglights -

- mkit sticks out farther away from the kidney grills, therefore more of a "nostril" look. m5 bumper is more flush with the kidney, like the stock bumper.
- mkit's edge under the headlights is squared off at the corner of the car. m5's edge under headlights wraps around the corners of the bumper, like stock bumper.
- mkit has a cut-line or crease on the side of the bumper above the foglights.
- mkit's intake have more straight lines, m5's are curvier.
Great observations jet190rs! I always wondered what the differences were. I never really compared them that closely before. Maybe that's why I'm so attracted to the M5 lines because they're curvier!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

in addition to eurocarfan's response, another option for the m-tech rear would be getting a different diffuser to go with it, like ac schnitzer or hamann to give the whole rear bumper a completely different look. +1 for no M5 badges, but i agree to each his own. enjoy your car and enjoy the forums.

Quick Reply: M Tech vs. M5 Conversion