E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M sports steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the UK there is now a retrofit kit for the M sports steering wheel which comes complete with all the multifunction buttons and trim. It is about ?250.
I had an M sports wheel on my old e39 5 series and liked it a lot. I find the standard e60 steering wheel a bit thin.
So what do you guys think? Is the M sport wheel better to hold, without the smaller diameter hiding more of the speedo and rev counter?
Only downside to all this is that I will need a new round type airbag unit which aint cheap! Also it is probably dealer fit only since the new airbag will need coding.

Opinions would be great thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I want to get this M5 wheel badly. Stnd. wheel is so poorly thin, terrible.
How about some group buy guys? I believe the airbag is about the same price as the wheel.....a little more acually
Old 08-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

I've been looking for the same thing, we get ripped off with the sports package in the US. I'm intereted in the group buy for the M-steering wheel retrofit, count me in. It would be better if we can get "Hobi" make his wiring loom and we can add paddle shifters as well.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Members

Just wondering, doesn't the M5 wheel have the "M" button for that extra 107 hp? Would that just do nothing on our cars?

cheers,
jack
Old 08-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Members

Sorry guys I should have been clearer. This is not the actual M5 steering wheel which has the paddles and coloured stitching. It is the M-sports wheel as found on the European sports model. However it looks the same shape with the thumb rests but does not have cut outs for paddles nor the stitching.
I still think it would be a worthwile mod just for the feel of the thicker wheel.
What do you all think?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

It would be worthwhile if you didn't have to buy a new airbag. Does that price include the airbag? If so it's def. worth it.

Originally Posted by db545' date='Aug 4 2005, 11:47 AM
Sorry guys I should have been clearer. This is not the actual M5 steering wheel which has the paddles and coloured stitching. It is the M-sports wheel as found on the European sports model. However it looks the same shape with the thumb rests but does not have cut outs for paddles nor the stitching.
I still think it would be a worthwile mod just for the feel of the thicker wheel.
What do you all think?
[snapback]155992[/snapback]
Old 08-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Members

No it doesn't include the airbag. That is about ?350 as a separate item. Thats why I am a bit unsure as to whether to go for it.
BMW sure know how to extract money from you :'(
Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

yes I want the wheel so Hobi can make me paddles. And yes the airbag is another $700 - just got back from dealer...... so it is pretty expensive stuff to do all this mod.....
the only way I see is to go group buy. I will try to ask Hobi and his BMW UK friends
Old 08-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I had the std wheel on my old 530d and now have got the Msport wheel, which is same as M5's without the M button, and highly recomend the sport wheel. Much thicker and sportier. To retrofit I should imagine would be very expensive. I got a quote from BMW on my old e39 to change to the m wheel at ?750 Its gonna be a similar price I should imagine.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Aug 6 2005, 04:15 PM
I had the std wheel on my old 530d and now have got the Msport wheel, which is same as M5's without the M button, and highly recomend the sport wheel. Much thicker and sportier. To retrofit I should imagine would be very expensive. I got a quote from BMW on my old e39 to change to the m wheel at ?750 Its gonna be a similar price I should imagine.
[snapback]156680[/snapback]
any one have an actual pic of the sterring wheel we are discussing in this thread thanks...a visual always helps.

and in europe the sports package offers a differnt steering wheel then we get with our sports package???thanks

Quick Reply: M sports steering wheel