E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

///M Shift Knob for Steptronic with

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,
I love a lot of things about M5 except its low low-end torque engine which makes me never think that M5 will be my future/dream car. However, I love its 166 wheel, mirror, rear bumper (front M-tek kit bumper is better), steering wheel with paddles, and shift knob.

I wanted to add 166 wheel, mirror, steering wheel with paddles and shift knob to my previous 530i, but I found it too wimpy and not worth to add anything else. I then traded in for 550i and, to be honest, this is my best car ever and it's the one that I'm looking for. It's totally worthwhile for me to add some M5 mods.

I have M5 steering wheel, paddles, and airbag ready, except airbag mouting plate (on order). Once I have it, I'll retrofit my all time favorite M5 SMG Paddle Shift kit. But, for now, I retrofit M5 shift knob on my 550i Steptronic.

///M Shift Knob for Steptronic with-img_0911.jpg
///M Shift Knob for Steptronic with-img_0916.jpg
///M Shift Knob for Steptronic with-img_0914.jpg
[attachment=28099:attachment]
///M Shift Knob for Steptronic with-m5knob_ds.jpg
Old 07-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NICE!! You should replace the panel too, so the original P-R-N-D doesn't show, then it'll be all M5 Shift-Knob light and not two lights... Awesome Mod..
Old 07-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

ok now that M5 shift knob is a majourly cool mod !! i never knew it was possible! Can you please explain how u did it? Did BMW install the shift knob for u? How did u get the lights to work based on the stepronic ?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Wow, you are the man and I thought the paddle shift was already tops
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

Congrats, nice trade! I think you made a wise decision. Now what about your user name
Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

never ceased to be amazed by the electronic mods that you are/have been doing! good job my530i...err..my550i
Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributors

NICE!! You should replace the panel too, so the original P-R-N-D doesn't show, then it'll be all M5 Shift-Knob light and not two lights... Awesome Mod..
I had replaced the panel and managed it to work, BUT:
1. M5 shift pattern is very short, so leather part cannot stretch far enough
2. M5 panel slot for shifter is round and narrower than Steps, Park and D/S mode are almost impossible unless I need to cut the round slot bigger, but it'll ruin the beauty althought I wish I could fit M5 shifter panel in.

ok now that M5 shift knob is a majourly cool mod !! i never knew it was possible! Can you please explain how u did it? Did BMW install the shift knob for u? How did u get the lights to work based on the stepronic ?
To me, it's very easy to implement because I have electrical/electronic background, especially, digital stuffs in BMW. Most (may all) of car electronic components nowadays activated by grounding the pin. The R, N and D/S on M5 shift knob are activated by grounding appropriate signal. Same as steptronic case. So what I need to do is grabbing the right ground pin from Steptronic gear position signal and feed it to M5 shift knob.
The problem is D and D/S. There is only one signal to D/S on M5 shiftknob and we have two signals D and D/S. How did I solve it? An AND gate will work for D and D/S signal, but because Fry's Electronics ran out of quad-AND gate, so I had to buy a quad-NAND gate and a hex-INV gate.

Congrats, nice trade! I think you made a wide decision. Now what about your user name
I was thinking about changing to "my550i" user name, but it has already been taken.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

Great job, will you be selling a wiring kit for this mod?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Contributors

will you be selling a wiring kit for this mod?
Please see the cost break down here. It's just for parts alone, but I found people might not be interested because of the cost. What would be the margin over this? It takes roughly one hour to do this wiring kit, and I don't know how much people want to pay me over the part cost.
Any suggestion? Let me know what would be the price you would buy? Everyone? Remember that I need to put up some instructions, too.
Someone might be curious how much this project cost:
7 connectors: $14
26 pin/contact $50
74LS chips $2
board $2
Parts alone are $70. What would be the fair price here?
If anyone interested, please let me know. I can do this wiring kit case by case.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

To me, it's very easy to implement because I have electrical/electronic background, especially, digital stuffs in BMW. Most (may all) of car electronic components nowadays activated by grounding the pin. The R, N and D/S on M5 shift knob are activated by grounding appropriate signal. Same as steptronic case. So what I need to do is grabbing the right ground pin from Steptronic gear position signal and feed it to M5 shift knob.
The problem is D and D/S. There is only one signal to D/S on M5 shiftknob and we have two signals D and D/S. How did I solve it? An AND gate will work for D and D/S signal, but because Fry's Electronics ran out of quad-AND gate, so I had to buy a quad-NAND gate and a hex-INV gate.

hahaha it indeed seems to be easy to you. i appreciate the explanation,.. now i just have to figure out what a AND Gate and a QUAD-AND gate and a QUAD-NAND and Hex-INV gate is! It is all a strange language to me.

but i would still like to have it done. Perhaps you could post a step by step guide for us? or we pay for some help doesnt matter.

Quick Reply: ///M Shift Knob for Steptronic with