E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M Aero Package Causes Lengthly Delay at VPC

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been discussion here about having the M Aero Package added at the VPC, and I thought I would give everyone considering this route a heads up as to what to expect.

As I indicated in a prior post, a few days before my wife's week 36 530Xi arrived at the port of South Carolina, my wife had our dealer contact the VPC to ask whether the M Aero Package could be installed there. The dealer was told that the VPC could install the package, and that two to three days would be needed to do so. We had the dealer fax a confirmed work order to the VPC that same day, 10/3.

The car was received at the port on 10/7 and transported to the VPC on 10/11. It is now 10/18 and the car is still at the VPC. Yesterday I became concerned that the car may have been damaged in transit given the unexpectedly long stay at the VPC, so I attempted to get information via the customer service people at the BMWNA 800 number (800-831-1117). The customer "service" representative was completely unhelpful. She indicated that the only way to get information as to the status of the car at the VPC is through the dealer. She refused to connect me to a supervisor to address my concerns.

I then contacted my dealer who placed a call to the VPC yesterday to ask about the delay. The representative at the VPC who addresses dealer inquiries did not respond until today. The dealer was told that the VPC will not complete the car until 10/25 because of the time required to install the Aero Package. If the car is completed under this schedule, it will have been at the VPC for two weeks. (I am sure a body shop could install the Aero Package in two days at the most. I suspect the VPC did not even have the necessary parts on hand when they advised my dealer that the package could be installed at the VPC.)

If I had been told that the Aero Package would add this much time at the VPC, I would not be so frustrated now with the delay.

I hope this info helps set expectations for others who are considering having the M Aero Package installed at the VPC in South Carolina.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Wow, thanks for the information. I bet that when a dealer orders the car there is no procedure in place to ensure that the parts are there and ready when the car arrives. I personally hate the thought of some body shop installing the kit. Why in the world won't they install the stupid kit during production?

Keep us posted.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ILC32' date='Oct 18 2005, 02:10 PM
There has been discussion here about having the M Aero Package added at the VPC, and I thought I would give everyone considering this route a heads up as to what to expect.?

As I indicated in a prior post, a few days before my wife's week 36 530Xi arrived at the port of South Carolina, my wife had our dealer contact the VPC to ask whether the M Aero Package could be installed there.? The dealer was told that the VPC could install the package, and that two to three days would be needed to do so.? We had the dealer fax a confirmed work order to the VPC that same day, 10/3.?

The car was received at the port on 10/7 and transported to the VPC on 10/11.? It is now 10/18 and the car is still at the VPC.? Yesterday I became concerned that the car may have been damaged in transit given the unexpectedly long stay at the VPC, so I attempted to get information via the customer service people at the BMWNA 800 number (800-831-1117).? The customer "service" representative was completely unhelpful.? She indicated that the only way to get information as to the status of the car at the VPC is through the dealer.? She refused to connect me to a supervisor to address my concerns.?

I then contacted my dealer who placed a call to the VPC yesterday to ask about the delay.? The representative at the VPC who addresses dealer inquiries did not respond until today.? The dealer was told that the VPC will not complete the car until 10/25 because of the time required to install the Aero Package.? If the car is completed under this schedule, it will have been at the VPC for two weeks.? (I am sure a body shop could install the Aero Package in two days at the most.? I suspect the VPC did not even have the necessary parts on hand when they advised my dealer that the package could be installed at the VPC.)

If I had been told that the Aero Package would add this much time at the VPC, I would not be so frustrated now with the delay.?

I hope this info helps set expectations for others who are considering having the M Aero Package installed at the VPC in South Carolina.
[snapback]185819[/snapback]

I am on the WestCoast and my dealer has mentioned nothing about this. However I have had the 550 on order with the Aero Kit install request (was written on order form as a note) before the M Aero Kit was even offered on the BMWUSA website as an accessory. Now that it is an accessory, I have been told that, if being installed at the VPC, then your stock bumpers will be shipped back to Germany and a credit will be applied towards your M Aero Kit. Now this is only what I was told, not what I have experienced. Of course I am hoping for the quickest turn around, but it probably really depends on how busy they are at that port.
I feel for your inconvenience and would be more than a bit pissed off.
Good Luck from here on out...
Old 10-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Members

Thanks for the support!

In the scheme of things, a delay is not a big deal, but when you have been anxiously waiting for the car based on certain information, it certainly can be frustrating to find out that the information is totally wrong. Hopefully future orders will not be subject to the same delays.

I will keep the forum advised of further developments. . .
Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Just for a point of reference. It took my dealer out here on the West Coast about 3 days to get the kit and my body shop is taking 3 days to paint and install. Two weeks at the VPC seems very unreasonable.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG
Arrow

Originally Posted by SoCalRaven' date='Oct 18 2005, 04:41 PM
[quote name='ILC32' date='Oct 18 2005, 02:10 PM']There has been discussion here about having the M Aero Package added at the VPC, and I thought I would give everyone considering this route a heads up as to what to expect.?

As I indicated in a prior post, a few days before my wife's week 36 530Xi arrived at the port of South Carolina, my wife had our dealer contact the VPC to ask whether the M Aero Package could be installed there.? The dealer was told that the VPC could install the package, and that two to three days would be needed to do so.? We had the dealer fax a confirmed work order to the VPC that same day, 10/3.?

The car was received at the port on 10/7 and transported to the VPC on 10/11.? It is now 10/18 and the car is still at the VPC.? Yesterday I became concerned that the car may have been damaged in transit given the unexpectedly long stay at the VPC, so I attempted to get information via the customer service people at the BMWNA 800 number (800-831-1117).? The customer "service" representative was completely unhelpful.? She indicated that the only way to get information as to the status of the car at the VPC is through the dealer.? She refused to connect me to a supervisor to address my concerns.?

I then contacted my dealer who placed a call to the VPC yesterday to ask about the delay.? The representative at the VPC who addresses dealer inquiries did not respond until today.? The dealer was told that the VPC will not complete the car until 10/25 because of the time required to install the Aero Package.? If the car is completed under this schedule, it will have been at the VPC for two weeks.? (I am sure a body shop could install the Aero Package in two days at the most.? I suspect the VPC did not even have the necessary parts on hand when they advised my dealer that the package could be installed at the VPC.)

If I had been told that the Aero Package would add this much time at the VPC, I would not be so frustrated now with the delay.?

[snapback]185819[/snapback]

I am on the WestCoast and my dealer has mentioned nothing about this. However I have had the 550 on order with the Aero Kit install request (was written on order form as a note) before the M Aero Kit was even offered on the BMWUSA website as an accessory. Now that it is an accessory, I have been told that, if being installed at the VPC, then your stock bumpers will be shipped back to Germany and a credit will be applied towards your M Aero Kit. Now this is only what I was told, not what I have experienced. Of course I am hoping for the quickest turn around, but it probably really depends on how busy they are at that port.
I feel for your inconvenience and would be more than a bit pissed off.
Good Luck from here on out...
[snapback]185871[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will you be getting the credit for the stock bumpers? I have been on my dealers ass every day to make sure he orders the m-aero kit for me as soon as possible. He had spoken to the VPC a couple of weeks ago and they faxed him an order form for the aero kit to be faxed back to them, five days before the ETA. He faxed it yesterday and we still have 10 days before arrival, just as a precaution. He will also call them tommorow to find out how long they will keep the car for the aero kit install. I will post there answer as soon as I get it.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Members

I would be very surprised to receive a credit for the stock bumpers that must be removed to install the Aero Package. My dealer did not mention this, and frankly I did not think to ask about it when we discussed the price. It does make sense that a credit would be provided, but when we priced the kit, the starting point for the parts was the same price as buying the parts from the dealer after delivery. I will take this up with the dealer on delivery, but I do not have high expectations for a credit under the circumstances.

Still no change to the 25th as the scheduled date the VPC completes the car. I am convinced they did not have the appropriate parts on hand.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

I also ordered the M-aero kit for my 2006 E60 530 xi - to be arriving in New Jersey for installation -
I'm still waiting to hear if I can have the front spoiler and rocker panels installed and not the rear bumper (i think the rear bumper is great on the stock E60) -

Have I made a mistake? will my car be stuck in New Jersey while they figure out how to install the M-aero kit?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

My dealer talked to VPC in New Jersey on friday. They told him the need 7-8 days to install M-aero kit. My car arrives on Oct. 28th. It will arrive at the dealer by Nov. 8th. ( Dealer from port is about 2.5hrs) So that means from the day it arrives, till I pick it up at the dealer is 11 days. Please note my car arrives on a friday and VPC doesnt work on the weekends, so that added a couple of extra days. (Two weekends at VPC) I guess its not too bad. I hope this helps everyone with the waiting time for the aero kit install at New Jersey VPC.

Quick Reply: M Aero Package Causes Lengthly Delay at VPC