E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lowering a sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys,

I spoke to a performance tuning shop and they said that i cant really use springs to lower my car as it already has sports suspension on it and the only option I have are coilovers.

Is that true?

Has anyone used springs on sports suspension and .. very important.. how was the ride quality?

Also, what brand of springs would you suggest and typically estimated $400 for a lowering job sounds ok?

Thank you so much.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='554816' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:42 AM
Hello guys,

I spoke to a performance tuning shop and they said that i cant really use springs to lower my car as it already has sports suspension on it and the only option I have are coilovers.

Is that true?

Has anyone used springs on sports suspension and .. very important.. how was the ride quality?

Also, what brand of springs would you suggest and typically estimated $400 for a lowering job sounds ok?

Thank you so much.
Untrue... they're trying to oversell you. There are lots of options with H&R Sport springs, or Koni ones. Search the forum, lots of discussion on this topic. Not sure about the $400 price they quoted you for labor. I haven't lowered my sport suspension since my E39 528i.

Good luck,
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='554816' date='Apr 2 2008, 08:42 AM
Hello guys,

Is that true?

Thank you so much.
Eibach springs will lower your car about 1/2", H&R's a little more. Sport suspension cars are lowered about .7" from the factory. Just search lowering springs, there are dozens of posts about it. I have heard springs appox $225 (tire rack) and labor about $200 plus you will proabaly need an alignment.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are we still in those age of lowering cars? lol

I just don't understand why people want to discomfort an expensive comfortable car. I hate kids.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='554859' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:45 AM
are we still in those age of lowering cars? lol

I just don't understand why people want to discomfort an expensive comfortable car. I hate kids.

lol

Just adding a bit of personalization. Dont tell me you dont like a lowered car when you see!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='554816' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:42 AM
Hello guys,

Is that true?

Thank you so much.
I have the sport package option on my car, and recently added an Eibach pro-kit. Aside from the ride height being lowered just a tad over an additional 1/2" the body roll and overall handling seems a bit tighter, and I dont really notice any extreme extra harshness in the ride. if you arleady have the sport set up and run flat tires, then you will barely feel a harder ride then what you already have. I spent about $650 total for the project, which included the cost of springs, the install and the re-alignment.

I hope I helped you out......and good luck
Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

since you have sport suspension, eibach springs would drop your e60 about 0.5" all around. H&R sports would drop it 0.7" front and 0.6" rear if you have a 525/530, 0.6" front and 0.5" rear if you have a 545/550. H&R race would drop you 1.3" all around.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='554898' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:21 AM
lol

Just adding a bit of personalization. Dont tell me you dont like a lowered car when you see!

seriously, maby I am getting old?! I really don't like lowering look anymore. I even hate low profiling tires. I probably done too much on the 80s, those Honda civic, Toyota AE86, AE92 & BMW E30 era... I felt sick alrealy on late 90s and sold my E30 M3. gee, I am almost 40 now... but I really appreciate the comfortable E60, that occasionally gives me thrills on twisty roads. The technologies are so much ahead of my time, I couldn't believe what it capable of on the corners which amaze me very much. you had no idea how difficult to get fast on an AE86, we need to lower the car & its tire profile as much as possible to get better cornering. we didn't expect these mod will become auto fashion these days, because it is completely torturing to drive a car like that.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='555079' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:16 PM
seriously, maby I am getting old?! I really don't like lowering look anymore. I even hate low profiling tires. I probably done too much on the 80s, those Honda civic, Toyota AE86, AE92 & BMW E30 era... I felt sick alrealy on late 90s and sold my E30 M3. gee, I am almost 40 now... but I really appreciate the comfortable E60, that occasionally gives me thrills on twisty roads. The technologies are so much ahead of my time, I couldn't believe what it capable of on the corners which amaze me very much. you had no idea how difficult to get fast on an AE86, we need to lower the car & its tire profile as much as possible to get better cornering. we didn't expect these mod will become auto fashion these days, because it is completely torturing to drive a car like that.
AE86 Initial D FTW!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='555079' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:16 PM
You should come out with us on Friday to eat some crab so you can hang out with a bunch of guys that are all over 30's that still lower their cars.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=52673

Quick Reply: Lowering a sport suspension