E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lowering my 545i, problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW White 545i w/ Premium, Sport, Dynamic Handling Package

i am currently thinking of lowering my 05' 545i, my car has premius, sport and dynamic handling package( it's what we called in Canada, it includes active roll, active steering wheel, active headlight ). will there be any problem lowering my car? my sales told me that i have to disable the active roll systemif i want to lower my car. i ask the tech guy from dealer he said i can just go lower it, but as far he haven't heard any bad thing yet. i don't want lowering car causing any system error light come up in the dash board. i am kind of confused at this point by 2 diff saying. just wondering any of you experiencing this? care to share wit me....

most the thread i found ppl are lowerin cars for 525 and 530. most of them recommend for HR sport and Eibach. both brands got pretty good drop height from the pictures that our truly E60 members posted. how about 545 sport? should i start with these 2 brands as well?

ir will be great if anyone can post up some pics of lower 545 with what brand of spring will be great helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering my 545i, problems?-1.jpg  
Old 07-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

My opinion is not to lower it. The sport package already lowers your car. It's the right height for both performance and appearance. Any lower would look silly/ricer. That's just me.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Contributors

I think it looks better lowered, however handling shouldn't improve with just springs, so I'd pass.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Members

i have a silver/gray 545 and i have same package lowered it works out great handling does improve a bit but with active steering you have to be careful its like driving nascar lol u turn an inch and whoooo there it goes id get it and i recommend h&r thats what i have eibach is good but its a lil pricy and no lights or errors will go off dont worry
Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW White 545i w/ Premium, Sport, Dynamic Handling Package

care to share some pictures of yours?

ya i totally understand changing springs isn't helping anything on handling. i just want a nice look of my baby.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I went with the Eibachs on my 545i.
I also have the Sport Package and compared to this, the Eibachs only lowered the car a little bit more (presumably because the stock Sport springs were already shorter than normal).

The front was lowered another 1/8" and the rears another 1/2" compared to when the car was sitting on the stock Sport springs.

The one thing I absolutely love is that the quality of the ride did not suffer from installing the lowering springs. The car doesn't bounce or feel too stiff. It feels the same as it did when it was stock.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:58 AM
Senior Members

I'd have to think twice about that too, and I'm a guy who usually does that first thing. The ride quality of these cars is so good, and the gains so small, I'd pass. Also, the E60 is such a complex car, this isn't a simple job. I'm always touchy about the things that can happen in taking apart and putting together again--rattles, a scratch, nicks on my wheels, etc. The only thing that I might consider would be this: does anyone know if the EUro spec spring for the sport or M package is any shorter than the US spring? Wonder if it's the same part number? Bunch of us over at the Mercedes side used to buy AMG springs from a guy in Europe that worked out well, lowered the ride height a little more, and gave a great ride. Just wondering.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Black leather, Sport Package, Premium Sound, 19x8.5" and 19x9.5" Work VS-XX rims, Eibach Pro Kit springs

I've lowered my 530i Sport with Eibach Pro Kit springs. The ride did not suffer at all. If I were you, I would do it...the car looks much better without that ugly space in the wheel well. If you do, have them installed rather than doing it yourself. I found a professional suspension shop that deals with high end cars. They installed the springs and did an alignment job right after. The alignment job is recommended after lowering a car. As far as how much it lowered, I'd say about 3/4 in in the front and 1 inch in the back (this is after the springs settled...about 2 weeks). Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BullMkt' date='Aug 12 2005, 05:01 PM
I've lowered my 530i Sport with Eibach Pro Kit springs.? The ride did not suffer at all.? If I were you, I would do it...the car looks much better without that ugly space in the wheel well.? If you do, have them installed rather than doing it yourself.? I found a professional suspension shop that deals with high end cars.? They installed the springs and did an alignment job right after.? The alignment job is recommended after lowering a car.? As far as how much it lowered,? I'd say about 3/4 in in the front and 1 inch in the back (this is after the springs settled...about 2 weeks).? Hope this helps.
[snapback]158788[/snapback]
Good to hear you're enjoying them too.
I've had mine for 1 week now.

Still getting lower? I didn't know that. Wow, I'll remeasure next week after they've broken-in some.

By the way, do you have the Sport Package with your 530?
Old 08-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Aug 12 2005, 05:04 PM
[quote name='BullMkt' date='Aug 12 2005, 05:01 PM']I've lowered my 530i Sport with Eibach Pro Kit springs.? The ride did not suffer at all.? If I were you, I would do it...the car looks much better without that ugly space in the wheel well.? If you do, have them installed rather than doing it yourself.? I found a professional suspension shop that deals with high end cars.? They installed the springs and did an alignment job right after.? The alignment job is recommended after lowering a car.? As far as how much it lowered,? I'd say about 3/4 in in the front and 1 inch in the back (this is after the springs settled...about 2 weeks).? Hope this helps.
[snapback]158788[/snapback]
Good to hear you're enjoying them too.
I've had mine for 1 week now.

Still getting lower? I didn't know that. Wow, I'll remeasure next week after they've broken-in some.

By the way, do you have the Sport Package with your 530?
[snapback]158789[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nevermind.
Just re-read your post..."I've lowered my 530i Sport with..."