E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Love my new (to me) 545i but considering a few mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a struggle finding this car with the combination I wanted - black on black, low mileage, and the perfect combination of options. I didn't want to pay for extras that I didn't care about like head-up, radar cruise, soft-close doors etc. The downside was that I had to accept that it wouldn't be totally perfect. For example, it had wheels I didn't like, but I managed to get the dealer to switch these Type 123's on it before I bought it :-) A few smaller issues remain though until it's exactly how I want it.

1. Dechrome
I'm not a fan of chrome. I can live with the chrome at the front in the grille, but the stuff on the side just looks wrong. Especially if I get the windows tinted. That'll make it look even worse. I've asked a few local car paint shops and they don't want to do it. They won't take my money. I said to them, just mask it off and spray it a few times. They're not happy and say they can't guarantee it. They reckon it could just come away at any time and I'd be back there complaining they did a bad job. Has anyone here done it? How did you do it? I don't plan to go crazy and have the OEM shadowline trim fitted. I want to have it done for under $200.

2. Alarm
Has anyone here fitted an after-market alarm? How did it integrate with your key that has the lock/unlock buttons on it? I'd like to have an A-M alarm fitted because the original owner of this didn't have one fitted. You'd be amazed how few cars have alarms in southern Germany (don't know about the north). I know people with 100K Porsches that don't have one. I asked BMW about retrofitting the OEM alarm and they wanted about $1500.

3. Steering wheel auto gearchange
Is it possible to hijack any of the buttons on the multi-function steering wheel and have them be used to change gear on a steptronic transmission? I'd be perfectly happy to give up the up/down arrows that change track on the CD or channel on the radio. This is another mod that I would only do if I could bring it in for under a couple of hundred bucks. I've no wish to spend over $1k on a new steering wheel with paddle shifters (even if it worked, which I doubt).

4. Tint
I want tinted windows. I had my previous car tinted and was never too happy with the way the edges were. You know, where the window itself has those little fade-out dots. Is that just something you always have to accept ? That there'll be a bit of not-so-perfect edge? Here's how it looked on my Audi, although it was professionally done, it didn't look perfect. Are people happy with their after-market tinted windows here? I do worry I'll have the same effect. I also worry a little about how difficult it will be (for the pros I get to do it) on the rear window. I can't imagine how they'll handle the curvature.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

and congratulations on our new 545i
Old 11-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Dunno about the rest but regarding tint, that tint job on the Audi is just awful!! All my cars have been tinted at a pro shop and they look fantastic. Even the front of my E60 is tinted and the edges are nicely done.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

as for 3 PM my530i he has a harness to add paddle shitters to the steptronic
Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

try this for shadowline: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Acces...A1%7C240%3A1318

its basically vinyl. i dunno if it works. cheap tho
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='712851' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:37 AM
+1, nice ride!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='712807
Will do

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='712853
Dunno about the rest but regarding tint, that tint job on the Audi is just awful!! All my cars have been tinted at a pro shop and they look fantastic. Even the front of my E60 is tinted and the edges are nicely done.
Good to know. I asked these pro guys that did the Audi about the edges and they said "don't worry about that, it'll disappear after a couple of months when it dries out". Well that was total BS. It looked exactly the same 12 months later. I think I might get this done in England too.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='712807
"our" ? Hey! Nobody said I had to share it
[/quote]
Your 545i, my 545i --- they're both the same !
HAHAHAHA! That's what happens when you type to fast.

Nice avatar btw
Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Congrats on the ride
Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Regarding the tint curvature concern...

Most places I know around my area fit the tint to the outside of the window first.

They clean and spray the outside of the window and the tint with the adhesive side facing out.

Then they work the curve by heating and shrinking it to the curve on the outside.

Once it fits the curve, they proceed to install it on the inside of the window.

This minimizes any problems being jammed in the back seat trying to get the heat gun down to the bottom etc.

Quick Reply: Love my new (to me) 545i but considering a few mods