E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lojack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004 | 10:26 AM
Members

Iceman's post here got me thinking about whether I should lojack my car.

Has anyone tried using lojack, and if so were there any problems?
Any other comparable products for the US market that to consider?

My neighborhood is pretty safe but i spend quite a lot of nights on weekends in city areas that aren't always safe....
Old 08-05-2004 | 11:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

We're always told BMW's can't be stolen unless you have the keys or a flatbed truck. Whatever the technology behind that is, that's enough for me to me feel secure. I had Lojack on my previous car and never had to use the system, but I guess that's a good thing. I'd spend my money on something else.
Old 08-05-2004 | 11:32 AM
sj3
Senior Members

I had lojack on my '00 540i and also have it on my E60. Fortunately, I've never had to use it and it's never caused any problems for me. It's power source is self-contained at least in the standard unit so there's no connection to the car battery or fuses. To me, the main question is whether the police in the areas near where you live use the system. It's not too helpful if they don't.

Search is your friend. There have been other discussions of same here. HTH.

Sam
Old 08-05-2004 | 11:53 AM
Members

Search is your friend. There have been other discussions of same here. HTH.
Hmm.....I did a search on the forum before posting the topic and only came up with the post i linked to above.

The police around this area do use it, so I'll look into it and post findings.

Actually now that I think about it Lomag, the only incidents with bimmer owners i've heard of out here involve breaking glass to take things inside a car, rather than the car itself getting stolen.
Old 08-05-2004 | 12:05 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Tofu: Sorry about that, chief.

There was also an incident where someone's car key was taken from a valet stand and that was the last they saw of it, I think. The gentleman upgraded to a 545! I have it pretty much only if I am carjack'ed.

Sam
Old 08-05-2004 | 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

lomag, sorry I have to say it... But you can break in to ANY car and ANY car can get stolen, even our e60's.
And as sj3 mentioned... there is carjacking out there... I feel better having my car secured with a system like that...
Old 08-05-2004 | 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I think it all depends on how you insure your car. In another thread I told my car is perfectly insured. So if they wanna take it, they can have it. I will get a new one from my insurance company.
Old 08-05-2004 | 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 5 2004, 10:59 PM
...I will get a new one from my insurance company.
but the wait will kill you!
Old 08-05-2004 | 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

True!!! It is horrible.. :'(
Old 08-05-2004 | 01:12 PM
Alyssa

You can get VIN window etching. That's an obvious deterrent for thieves, and it doesn't cost nearly as much as lojack. ($199) Can't they use BMW assist to find your car, anyway? It really isn't obvious, either... not even with dark windows.

Quick Reply: Lojack?