E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Locking Lug Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i SMG, Sport package, Premium package, L7, Xenon Headlamps, Window Shades, Rear red reflectors
Thumbs up

I went to get get my tires rotated at my preferred tire and wheel vendor (that can do the job with damaging the wheels). Anyway, they pull the car in and believe it or not the passenger rear has a locking lug bolt on it. I felt kind of stupid because I wasn't aware it had any locking bolts. The right rear is the only wheel with this bolt. Needless to say I don't have the key and have to take it in to the dealer to get the wheel off. So much for my tire rotation and my Saturday morning. I have a 2005 530i with the sport package (18" Dunlop Run Flats). I also noticed a compact spare when I was looking for the key for the wheel lock. I thought that you didn't get a spare if you had runflats. Has this happened to anyone else? Why would BMW put only one lock on, not call it to my attention, and not give me a key so I can remove the wheel? My guy tells me it is a factory BMW lock and that the dealer has to take it off. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Auto/Prem/Xenon/Nav/Sirius

My dealer put locks on all four wheels, and very deliberately showed me where the keys where (in with the spare), and how to use them to remove the locks.

Perhaps it was a mistake by the dealer...

Originally Posted by mp0i' date='Jul 30 2005, 09:14 AM
I went to get get my tires rotated at my preferred tire and wheel vendor (that can do the job with damaging the wheels).? Anyway, they pull the car in and believe it or not the passenger rear has a locking lug bolt on it.? I felt kind of stupid because I wasn't aware it had any locking bolts.? The right rear is the only wheel with this bolt.? Needless to say I don't have the key and have to take it in to the dealer to get the wheel off.? So much for my tire rotation and my Saturday morning.? I have a 2005 530i with the sport package (18" Dunlop Run Flats). I also noticed a compact spare when I was looking for the key for the wheel lock.? I thought that you didn't get a spare if you had runflats.? Has this happened to anyone else?? Why would BMW put only one lock on, not call it to my attention, and not give me a key so I can remove the wheel?? My guy tells me it is a factory BMW lock and that the dealer has to take it off.? Any information would be appreciated.
[snapback]154596[/snapback]
Old 07-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

In the U.S. you get a spare with runflats. Don't know the answer about a key for the lock. Seems odd to me that it came from the factory that way. Just had my factory wheels replaced and there were no locks on any of the wheels.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

the wheel lock screws seem to come as standart only in Europe.
I got all 4 of them.... I hope.... I definitely got the the key nut by the spare tire area.....
Old 08-02-2005, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by mp0i' date='Jul 30 2005, 11:14 AM
I went to get get my tires rotated at my preferred tire and wheel vendor (that can do the job with damaging the wheels).? Anyway, they pull the car in and believe it or not the passenger rear has a locking lug bolt on it.? I felt kind of stupid because I wasn't aware it had any locking bolts.? The right rear is the only wheel with this bolt.? Needless to say I don't have the key and have to take it in to the dealer to get the wheel off.? So much for my tire rotation and my Saturday morning.? I have a 2005 530i with the sport package (18" Dunlop Run Flats). I also noticed a compact spare when I was looking for the key for the wheel lock.? I thought that you didn't get a spare if you had runflats.? Has this happened to anyone else?? Why would BMW put only one lock on, not call it to my attention, and not give me a key so I can remove the wheel?? My guy tells me it is a factory BMW lock and that the dealer has to take it off.? Any information would be appreciated.
[snapback]154596[/snapback]
My car has no lock at all. I purchased 4 lock bolts myself. It could be a standard option in Europe, not USA.