E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

llumar tint issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver/Grey E60

Originally Posted by FiveThirtyI' post='722540' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:50 AM
It's most likeley due to the low pressure sodium oxide lighting (orange glow) you're dealing with. Sodium Oxide lamps produce a virtually monochromatic light. As a result, the colors of objects cannot easily be distinguished since they are seen almost entirely by their reflection of this narrow bandwidth orange light which can show many abnormalities...kind of like b/w photos.
Im thinking that is does have to do with the orange lighting. The only thing thats throwing me for a loop is that none of the other cars in the lot had the same issue.

Anyhow, I will update tomorrow and let you guys know what the installer and llumar have to say when I call them.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

I finally got a hold of the owner of the tint shop who did my car...

He said that in high end tints you will see some distortion in certain lights and through polorized lenses.

I guess I buy it... Llumar has yet to respond to my email. Anyone else experience strange looking tint in parking lot lights?

EDIT: I just confirmed that the parking light lamps are the sodium oxide ones. Someone else try it with thier car! HA!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i have the solution!!! dont park there anymore and it wont mess with your head...lol... just playing with ya.. but at least a few people are comfirming what your seeing.. and the installer gave you some insight.. seems legit?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by melimel' post='723555' date='Nov 17 2008, 03:30 PM
i have the solution!!! dont park there anymore and it wont mess with your head...lol... just playing with ya.. but at least a few people are comfirming what your seeing.. and the installer gave you some insight.. seems legit?

Yah i feel better. Im waiting to see what Llumar tint company has to say. They gave me the number to some guy in customer service but he has yet to answer his phone!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Senior Members

UPDATE..

So i was able to obtain a lot of info from a tinting forum i came accross online.

First.. all of the installers agree that when you use a metal based tint like llumar you will get strange looking windows in certain parking lot lights. Also, they stated that due to the way BMW glass is made its only an issue on certain cars like our E60's.

Im thinking of using a ceramic based tint now.. like huper optik. I hate being a perfectionist when it comes to my car.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='724979' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:02 AM
UPDATE..

So i was able to obtain a lot of info from a tinting forum i came accross online.

First.. all of the installers agree that when you use a metal based tint like llumar you will get strange looking windows in certain parking lot lights. Also, they stated that due to the way BMW glass is made its only an issue on certain cars like our E60's.

Im thinking of using a ceramic based tint now.. like huper optik. I hate being a perfectionist when it comes to my car.
the huper optik will do the same thing. ANY tint that polarizes light will do it. This means just about any tint with decent heat rejection and UV block. If all you're looking for is looks, go with a regular dye-based tint which will have no imperfections but will not cool down your interior or protect it in any way. If you tint your car because you want to keep the interior cooler and protect the interior from fading, then stick with the metallic or ceramic tint and don't worry about the lighting effects that only occur in one particular lot.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='724981' date='Nov 19 2008, 03:17 AM
the huper optik will do the same thing. ANY tint that polarizes light will do it. This means just about any tint with decent heat rejection and UV block. If all you're looking for is looks, go with a regular dye-based tint which will have no imperfections but will not cool down your interior or protect it in any way. If you tint your car because you want to keep the interior cooler and protect the interior from fading, then stick with the metallic or ceramic tint and don't worry about the lighting effects that only occur in one particular lot.

Thanks for the reply fvicente.

Actually, I looked at the warranty card from my Llumar tint and it is the "AT Charcoal" dyed tint. So im not to sure why im geting thoes imperfections from a dyed tint.

Im completely confused now. I give up!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='725542' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the reply fvicente.

Actually, I looked at the warranty card from my Llumar tint and it is the "AT Charcoal" dyed tint. So im not to sure why im geting thoes imperfections from a dyed tint.

Im completely confused now. I give up!
there are tint varieties that have both metallic and dye ingredients. I can't find that particular tint on Llumar's site, but it is possible it contains both. Any film that is polarized will display similar effects. It is not a problem, it is basic physics. I wouldn't spend the money to rip out your existing tint and get a different one. Just enjoy it and ignore the display of light effects when you drive near those lights.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='725699' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:49 PM
there are tint varieties that have both metallic and dye ingredients. I can't find that particular tint on Llumar's site, but it is possible it contains both. Any film that is polarized will display similar effects. It is not a problem, it is basic physics. I wouldn't spend the money to rip out your existing tint and get a different one. Just enjoy it and ignore the display of light effects when you drive near those lights.

You are right. Why spend another 450 dollars for tint I already have.

Im working on shadowline trim mod right now so the money is better spent on that!