E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

llumar tint issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver/Grey E60

Guys..

I have 50% llumar tint on all of my windows. Well, last night when I was leaving work my windows looked all messed up! The best way to describe it is wavy distorted lines. The parking lot has these strange color lights, they're like a yellowish orange color and very bright. After I got home and looked at my windows in different lighting they looked normal.

Does certian lighting make tint look distorted? Should I have my car re-done since it is a lifetime gurantee?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='721894' date='Nov 15 2008, 01:41 PM
Guys..

I have 50% llumar tint on all of my windows. Well, last night when I was leaving work my windows looked all messed up! The best way to describe it is wavy distorted lines. The parking lot has these strange color lights, they're like a yellowish orange color and very bright. After I got home and looked at my windows in different lighting they looked normal.

Does certian lighting make tint look distorted? Should I have my car re-done since it is a lifetime gurantee?
most probably the tint film was not installed probably. this means that the either the liquid/air is trapped in the film therefore giving you the lines, or the film was not stretched properly. best thing is to have it redone.

cheers.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='721894' date='Nov 15 2008, 06:41 AM
Guys..

did you just have it done?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

I had it done exactly a YEAR ago this month.

The strange thing is you can only see it in certain light. For instance right now in my garage with daylight you cannot notice it. Very strange.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='722098' date='Nov 15 2008, 02:51 PM
I had it done exactly a YEAR ago this month.

The strange thing is you can only see it in certain light. For instance right now in my garage with daylight you cannot notice it. Very strange.
I know what you mean by seeing it in certain lighting, when i first got my tint done I saw the colors when I was at the gas station at night. Its similar to the colors in a bubble. I believe that it was due to the moisture that was still trapped between the tint and the window. But that was when I first got it done. I have yet to see it since.
Attached Thumbnails llumar tint issue-0_61_bubble_girl_2.jpg  
Old 11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I had Llumar on my E39 and my last E60 and I never had this problem. Llumar is great!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have 35% lumar and no problems, I do however see these "rainbow" lines/colors when I look at the tint with polarized sunglasses on.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

I e-mailed llumar but they have yet to respond.

Interesting thing is that I only see the wavy lines and distortion under that parking lot light... I believe its like a flouresence yellow/orange light.

I guess i'll wait to see what llumar and the installer have to say.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='722283' date='Nov 15 2008, 09:08 PM
I e-mailed llumar but they have yet to respond.

Interesting thing is that I only see the wavy lines and distortion under that parking lot light... I believe its like a flouresence yellow/orange light.

I guess i'll wait to see what llumar and the installer have to say.
if the light source is polarized and so is your tint, you're going to see some strange things. similar to what happens when you put on solarized sunglasses and look through the window tint.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 M5 Saphire - All available options 2006 530i Mystic Blue - All available options for 06 2004 Ford Expedition - Boat hauler.

It's most likeley due to the low pressure sodium oxide lighting (orange glow) you're dealing with. Sodium Oxide lamps produce a virtually monochromatic light. As a result, the colors of objects cannot easily be distinguished since they are seen almost entirely by their reflection of this narrow bandwidth orange light which can show many abnormalities...kind of like b/w photos.

Quick Reply: llumar tint issue