E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Let me take some time to reflect

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I don't think another SB DIY is necessary, nor is it particularly hard to install. Rather, I would like to mark my installation of the SB by ranting a bit on the subject.

First and foremost, thanks are due to all those who - in one way or another - made this possible: I'd not have done it if not for this forum, thanks e60.net! Thanks to Bijan (member boosted4door) for selling the SB to me and giving me a great deal in the process! Thanks to my friend Stan, who provided the financing for this mod (LOL well, he did owe me, so it wasn't a gift, but still, he made it easier). Thanks to all the members who wrote up the DIYs and the countless threads on the device, teaching me everything I needed to know about and finally, thanks to - yes - BMW for making the e60's throttle a drive-by-wire unit!

Impressions: I installed the SB after work yesterday, took a drive around the block, grinned like an idiot, posted a thread with praise and went to sleep. When I woke up today, I obviously got behind the wheel as soon as I could. I've now logged a few more miles - both highway and in-town - and have a few more impressions to report. So, without further adeau:

Around town: In the first two gears is where the SB makes itself known the most. The most tangible change is, I would say, to the overall character of the car. I have a stick shift, so it also changes the clutching a bit - basically, you'd have to get used to your car all over again, as the take up point shifts due to different mapping of the gas pedal. But overall, the car became edgy - not edgier, no! It is not certifiably edgy - as opposed to before, where it was fast only if I beat it into submission. With SB installed, the car is eager to run, the throttle opens much wider at a drop of pin on the accelerator - again, to me, a source of widest grins. In my driving so far, I can tell you that any and all hesitation is gone - where before the SB my car hesitated when floored hard from a stand-still with the DCS on, now it just goes.

On the highway: Not THAT much difference in highway performance in upper 2 gears - as a matter of fact, the negative effect of the SB (only one I can think of, aside from higher gas consumption) is a pretty big dead zone in the pedal travel in higher gears - what happens is when you lightly tap the gas pedal, it gives progressively more throttle openning than a stock pedal would, thus topping out at about 35% of the pedal travel, hence yeilding the remaning 65% or so of pedal travel useless. To someone like me, it is a small price to pay for the responsiveness the car gains in lower gears. But this does bring up the incredible benefit of the Velocity unit, which you can actually turn off completely (if I'm not mistaken, on the fly). I would also say that installing an RPi Scoop and a better breathing (proven) exhaust would probably alieviate most of this deficiency.
Most noticable difference in highway driving to me is in downshifting and running highway speeds in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears - particularly the 3rd and 4th. The rev come sooner and have a higher stamina. It does actually feel as though the engine has more power (I know everybody says it, but let me tell you: there is a reason everyone says this). Also, the passing is now easier, and dare I say, the need for downshifting in some situations actually diminished - if not disappeared altogether, again, in some situations.

It is probably wise to advise anyone who gets a SB to keep in mind that their car actually did not gain any horsepower from it, as it does tend to give you a bit more confidence, perhaps, than justified. But in 99.9% of real-life driving situations, that confidence is justified - just wise to remember that there is that odd chance of feeling overly confident due to the SB's performance.

Is there a need for any concensus? I doubt my review needs it - the thesis has been clear before me - and will remain long after this thread is banished to the outskirts of the forum's archived writings: sprintbooster is the best performance mod you can get for your car for the money, even though it actually does not change the max HP and torque figures. I do suspect that there's a good chance it actually change the torque curves slightly, bc enigine gets more gas faster per every rpm, so actually, I stipulate that the torque curve rises faster with the SB and has a broader plateau. But that's pure speculation. What is a fact, however, is that the sprintbooster is definitely worth the money and definitely improves the car's performance.

Finally, installing the SB made me seriously consider installing a performance exhaust and an RPi scoop to compensate for that "lag" created by the dead area in the pedal travel. I'm not sure if this will do the trick, but my feeling is that the free'er air flow provided by better intake and exhaust will add that top of the rev range power, much needed for the NA inline 6.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

yup. i've always wondered if it changed the horsepower and torque curve of the car at all.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Great write up Vlad.

If the SB only changes the throttle response then I don't think it would affect the torque curve. It doesn't alter the engine at all and instead just send a more aggressive throttle input to the engine.

Given the really annoying lag in a stock E60 between WOT and actual full power, this sounds like an awesome mod for leadfoots like me.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

V,

You should write ad copy for Sprintbooster. That was quite a testimonial and dead on target. All E60.net newbies should be shown a copy of your review!!

B
Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 AM
e6t
Senior Members

it is my understanding that the SB doesnt change the actual performance of the car in any way. no more power, no more torque. it simply translates the movement of the gas pedal more rapidly.

damnit, i guess im going to have to get one so that I can weigh in.

where can i get in touch with this wang guy?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

congrats on the SB! hope you have a fun holiday weekend driving around!!

Originally Posted by e6t' post='930483' date='Jul 2 2009, 06:34 AM
it is my understanding that the SB doesnt change the actual performance of the car in any way. no more power, no more torque. it simply translates the movement of the gas pedal more rapidly.

damnit, i guess im going to have to get one so that I can weigh in.

where can i get in touch with this wang guy?
Here is Andy Wong's Ebay store for Sprint Boosters http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Exporter...e__W0QQ_armrsZ1 ...and I think this is his email: sale@PartsExporter.com
Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Congrats! The SB must have change your life with that long review of yours.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (01/05 Build) Titanium Silver Metallic 530i, Black Dakota Leather Interior w/Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Cold, Premium & Sport Packages, Steptronic, Bluetooth MODS: OEM 166's (M5 Offset) on General's (245/35 & 275/30), 15mm H&R Spacers, Auxiliary Audio Input, 6000K Xenon Headlights and Matching HID Fogs, AIB v3.0, SprintBooster, OEM LED License Plate Bulbs, Smoked LED Side Markers, Matte Black Kidney Grills

Another satisfied customer....ENJOY!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Sprint Booster!!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='930494' date='Jul 2 2009, 06:46 AM
Here is Andy Wong's Ebay store for Sprint Boosters http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Exporter...e__W0QQ_armrsZ1 ...and I think this is his email: sale@PartsExporter.com
Don't buy it from his eBay store. Email him directly and tell him you're from E60.net. He might be able to give you a small price break. Or if you can wait, then sign up for that group buy.

Quick Reply: Let me take some time to reflect