E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Is this legal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do not want to spend the money for the LCI tail lights and cables, the ones pjinca has are actually a good alternative. I've seen them in person and they look really good.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
If you do not want to spend the money for the LCI tail lights and cables, the ones pjinca has are actually a good alternative. I've seen them in person and they look really good.
Can I see the link of the pictures of it brother?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

There was a long thread about the after market light and Bruce's cable; search for it. I think it will help you with your decision; at least it helped me.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Members

I just got done going over all sorts of combinations with regards to lighting with some DOT reps for work. I'm specifically talking about tow trucks, but there is pretty much standard code book and drawing that applies to most all vehicles. You can have clear lights as long as they still light up the correct color. The problem comes with your reflectivity. Your reflectors still must reflect back the proper red or amber color (depending on placement on the vehicle). If you have the reflectors in your bumper, you should be OK with all clear lights. As far as having them smoked, you might get some issues with that though. These are just the answers for my specific application, but I think they would carry over here as well.
The other thing to think about is that most cops have no idea what the actual laws and DOT specs are. You might get pulled over and get a ticket and then have to go to court and deal with all the hassle (even if you are legal). Not to mention, just getting stopped can lead to other issues (for example if you've had a couple of beers). Just something to think about.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TowDawg
I just got done going over all sorts of combinations with regards to lighting with some DOT reps for work. I'm specifically talking about tow trucks, but there is pretty much standard code book and drawing that applies to most all vehicles. You can have clear lights as long as they still light up the correct color. The problem comes with your reflectivity. Your reflectors still must reflect back the proper red or amber color (depending on placement on the vehicle). If you have the reflectors in your bumper, you should be OK with all clear lights. As far as having them smoked, you might get some issues with that though. These are just the answers for my specific application, but I think they would carry over here as well.
The other thing to think about is that most cops have no idea what the actual laws and DOT specs are. You might get pulled over and get a ticket and then have to go to court and deal with all the hassle (even if you are legal). Not to mention, just getting stopped can lead to other issues (for example if you've had a couple of beers). Just something to think about.
+1

got 2 tickets so far in past year for something else and of course the dreaded not having front license plate and tinted windows so this statement is so true. In fact, when I parked in front of my house, I still got a ticket for it. I ain't joking either.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

I like these, but the smoked red ones. for $249
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Contributors

Don't do the clear ones IMHO .. I have the smoked version.

Daytime pics

Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by JeRZee XiE60
Don't do the clear ones IMHO .. I have the smoked version.

Daytime pics

Yep i9m be getting these prob by next week. hehe
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

I've seen a couple on the streets of LA
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Da_Meister_22
Yep i9m be getting these prob by next week. hehe