E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED reverse/tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

Just the other day, I finally got window tint on my 535. I decided to go with 15% on all 4 side windows and 5% on the rear window.
Now backing out of my driveway is a little bit more challenging than it used to be. Without the tint the reverse/tail lights helped light the corner of the driveway, but now I can barely see those lights.

It wouldn't be a big deal, but I keep the 535 in a tight little spot and I need to make several turns backing out to avoid the grass/rocks on the side. I can still make it out without any problems, just takes me some extra time.

Basically, will it help to get some LED reverse or tail lights? Maybe even both?

PS: Here in Texas our tint laws aren't very strict. Front 2 windows have a 25% tint law, all others can be limo tint. So, yes my front 2 windows are illegally tinted.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zach1328
Just the other day, I finally got window tint on my 535. I decided to go with 15% on all 4 side windows and 5% on the rear window.
Now backing out of my driveway is a little bit more challenging than it used to be. Without the tint the reverse/tail lights helped light the corner of the driveway, but now I can barely see those lights.
It wouldn't be a big deal, but I keep the 535 in a tight little spot and I need to make several turns backing out to avoid the grass/rocks on the side. I can still make it out without any problems, just takes me some extra time.
Basically, will it help to get some LED reverse or tail lights? Maybe even both?
PS: Here in Texas our tint laws aren't very strict. Front 2 windows have a 25% tint law, all others can be limo tint. So, yes my front 2 windows are illegally tinted.
An option to brighter back - up lights ... A while back I had a troublesome corner of my (very long) driveway with a tree nearby. I was always afraid I'd bump against it until I found a bright solar driveway light that is pretty bright. The other side of my driveway has low-voltage lights and I didn't want to run 100' of cable around the other side. So I went this route to help mark the edge of my driveway.

These last quite a while if they get lots of sunshine and are low enough that if you drive over them they won't be damaged. http://www.harborfre...86-001b2166c2c0

Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

LED reverse lights are for the most part dimmer than the existing incandescents. I have them and like them, but I do not require them to illuminate my path.

My suggestion is to get the HID reverse light kit from John @ Motorcepts in NY.

It's easy to find him by googling. His stuff has a rock-solid reputation and I feel confident saying you won't find a brighter solution.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Members

Hi,

Definitely recommend John@Motorconcept HID reverse lights. It is quite easy to fit and of course PnP. The light output is much brighter then stock bulbs. I have myself tinted windows and visibility is quite good with HID lights.

Thanks,

Peter

Originally Posted by Sublime
LED reverse lights are for the most part dimmer than the existing incandescents. I have them and like them, but I do not require them to illuminate my path.

My suggestion is to get the HID reverse light kit from John @ Motorcepts in NY.

It's easy to find him by googling. His stuff has a rock-solid reputation and I feel confident saying you won't find a brighter solution.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Another recommendation for HID reverse. It's basically the best you can get for reverse lights.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried once the reverse LED lights. Total disappointment.
But I would not dare to to fit the HID in there. As i know you must destroy the bulb support. I mean you could not return to the bulb option if don't like the HID.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

eu le am chiar de la john...(o boy...what a LIGHT)...

ONCE U GET WORK done by john youll never go back..to factory..
Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

This thread is making me want a set now....
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Thanks for the idea luigi.
I don't think I want to mess with the tail lights if you really have to destroy part of them to fit in the HID's.

I'll either try your light idea or do some little reflectors just on the hard parts of the driveway. I can usually get out no problem, but the problem is...

Right when I back out of the garage I have a metal gate right there, every time I reverse out that gate HAS TO BE within 2-3 inches of my front fender for me to get out. I'd really rather not hook my front fender on the corner of the gate.

But anyways, I'll probably do some little reflectors around the sharp cuts in the driveway. Thanks for giving me the idea.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Take my word !
With 5% tint, No lighting is going to help you.

Your best option is to get a reverse camera (Mod My Nav).
You would be HAPPY going that route.

Quick Reply: LED reverse/tail lights