E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Hi All,

I was supposed to post this a while ago but I finally had time to come around to it. I wish I could show a step by step process but the pictures should be pretty self explanatory.

I got a 581 bulb Front turn signal LED White color for my Euro spec headlights. The 581 bulbs are the bulbs with the offset, I'm not sure which other e60's have it, but it ranges from the 581 to another type of bulb.

Anyway, I was able to put an LED bulb into the headlight, and as you all know, our car will give an error message saying the bulb is out, and on top of that, the bulb will blink super fast cause its low wattage.

I got some resistors lying around, from ebay btw, they were from a failed project to make LED turn signals before.

I then drilled some holes into the Socket of the turn signal. Since the socket is a snug fit when its plugged it, nothing can be squeezed in between the socket.

This will enable the resistors to touch each lead to take away the error message and make the blinking not hyperfast.

Then I mounted the resistor onto the socket handle itself by drilling two holes and connecting the resistor and socket with one big Zip tie.

Since the bulb only blinks and is never on for an extended period of time, the resistor will never get hot, and will not melt the zip tie.

And once I positioned everything correctly, Viola, I've got LED turn signals that match my 6000k HID headlights.

Without further ado, here are the pictures with captions, and video's I tape of how it looks with Hazard and arming and disarming the alarm. (at the bottom)

(Sorry some of them are blurry)

Side view of how the LED resistor attached to the socket looks
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9130.jpg

Bottom view
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9131.jpg

Top View
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9132.jpg

Closer Top View
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9135.jpg

Clearer Top View
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9136.jpg

Side view again
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9138.jpg

Notice how the zip tie is attached to the LED, and the leads from the resistor got right into the socket's drilled holes.
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9139.jpg

I drilled holes on each side like this
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9140.jpg

And the leads come out of the socket like this
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9142.jpg

Zipped tied resistor on socket
LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9145.jpg

Movie Clips:

i hope ya'll enjoy. I can't stand regular amber bulbs, and putting blue bulbs into a clear headlights dont look right either, so I figured this is the best route. If ya'll got any questions, let me know.

P.S. This can probably apply to any other bulb type front turn signal.
Attached Thumbnails LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-img_9145.jpg  
Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I like it. Great job!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Nice work! I love how LED's look and blink so quickly, but those blue signals would get you pulled over in a minute cruising in LA.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great DYI Nigxdoof and looks awsome, I have a question about the color? are u able to get the LED in White not the Blue like yours?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

nice job... anyone know what resistors are need for the reverse lights?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The LED is actually the "white LED" that you find on ebay. It just looks very blue due to the camera. I personally dont like it too blue, but darn camera in the dark makes it seem like that.

I guess you would have to see it for yourself.

Also its not dim like those "blue hyper white" bulbs you get. You can also apply this to amber bulbs if you like that.

Here is the link to where I got the bulb,

LED Bulbs for my headlight

I believe these are the bulbs most of you guys have, I could be wrong though,

LED 3157 White Bulbs

And this is the resistors I got, 25 Ohm. It was either this, or the 50w one. I figured this would be perfect for just a blinker bulb.

LED Resistor, 25 Ohm

This resistor most likely could also work for the rear turn signal and reverse, but I haven't tried the method I just did. I'm sure you can do the same, but I have the LCI tails so I wont be messing with those LED's anytime soon. Unless someone can make a write up to change all the LED's to White on the LCI tails.. hmm.. maybe its time to use that old soldering iron and buy some LEDs... haha.

For the reverse lights.. I'm going to try to figure it out eventually..
Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Nice work man !
I've been looking into this small project as well, great to see what it will look like, I've just bought these:

Front Indicator, I went for more leds since our front indicators are reflector type and need more side leds imo (although your's look good as well) - offset bulb is correct as you mention

LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-2df3_1.jpg

with these resistors:

LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-3891_1.jpg

Side indicator, 6 led wedge type (couldn't find a W5W type wedge with more leds)

LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-5e6e_1.jpg

Maybe I do the no. plate as well with these:

LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-8840_12.jpg

and with this resistor:

LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors-544f_1.jpg
Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Nice Andy, but be careful of those bulbs, it might not fit into the headlight. I ran into that problem a while back...

Hmmm.. as for the side markers, they are those wedge t10's I think, and the license plates are festoon 39 MM I think. I forgot, but it should look nice once you are done.

The license plate LED doesn't need those guys.. There's a post somewhere that has the specs of what Resistor you need.

I found the link,

LED License plate post

Here is the link to radio shack, which I'm sure you guys can find an equivalent out in Europe,

Resistor

Post pics soon!!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job niqxdoof. They looking great!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='489069' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:04 PM
Nice Andy, but be careful of those bulbs, it might not fit into the headlight. I ran into that problem a while back...

Hmmm.. as for the side markers, they are those wedge t10's I think, and the license plates are festoon 39 MM I think. I forgot, but it should look nice once you are done.

The license plate LED doesn't need those guys.. There's a post somewhere that has the specs of what Resistor you need.

I'll find it and post the link.

Post pics soon!!
just saw that, your's are 24mm, mine are 28mm diameter > do you think they'll fit or am I screwed ?

the wedge ones are t13. do they throw any errors or not ? cause there's no way a resistor will fit behind...

Quick Reply: LED Front Turn Signal with Resistors