E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED Angel-Eyes and DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Hi all,

Can anybody think of an issue running aftermarket LED AE?s while keeping the DRL enabled? I really like the safety of the DRL (wife often drives the car) but also love the look of premium ultra-white LED AE?s? Obviously there?s a lifespan question combining the two as the AE?s would basically be on whenever the car is running, but aren?t LED?s supposed to last an incredibly long time?

All comments appreciated, thanks..
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Contributors

LED lights dim over time. My RDash LED 7K AE's are not as bright as they were 1.5 years ago (that's why I just bought MTec V2 from Brabus). On the other hand, bulbs (whether HID or incandecent) burn at the same intensity until one day POOF! They die. So to answer your question: there is no issue running them. Just be aware that depending on the quality of the LED light it may or may not last as long or be as bright as it once was.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Originally Posted by Howitzer
LED lights dim over time. My RDash LED 7K AE's are not as bright as they were 1.5 years ago (that's why I just bought MTec V2 from Brabus). On the other hand, bulbs (whether HID or incandecent) burn at the same intensity until one day POOF! They die. So to answer your question: there is no issue running them. Just be aware that depending on the quality of the LED light it may or may not last as long or be as bright as it once was.
Ah gotcha.. Do you run your LED AE's as DRL?

So if I'm hearing you right; while a quality LED product may claim to last 50k hours meaning you could turn it on and leave it on for 5 and half years before it burns out; it will still fade in luminosity long before that? And for auto applications, that fade will likely be the driving factor to replace it?

So it sounds like it comes down to how long before choosing to replace them due to fade. Anybody out there run LED AE's with DRL and how long have they lasted so far?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

Originally Posted by xcntrk
Ah gotcha.. Do you run your LED AE's as DRL?

So if I'm hearing you right; while a quality LED product may claim to last 50k hours meaning you could turn it on and leave it on for 5 and half years before it burns out; it will still fade in luminosity long before that? And for auto applications, that fade will likely be the driving factor to replace it?

So it sounds like it comes down to how long before choosing to replace them due to fade. Anybody out there run LED AE's with DRL and how long have they lasted so far?
I wouldn't say LONG before that...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Not sure, hopefully mine don't go out. My Orions have like 40 leds in each ring. I always thought LED's have very long life span. Probably longer than I would have the car.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Actually Phil... I know for a fact that the large ring has at least 60 leds. I started counting on the smaller ring and gave up, lol.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Members

I thought they were really just bent tubes with one led at the end.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

You lost me at bent tubes.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

LED's will last much longer than halogen based bulbs and also operate with less power
Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by E92-Lighting
LED's will last much longer than halogen based bulbs and also operate with less power
YES LEDs will last MUCH longer but when used in combo of a resistor, the resistor MUST have proper heat dispersing functions for it to last. When ur using the LED everyday as DRL, it wouldnt outlast the halogen bulb by much. Maybe one year MAX.

Quick Reply: LED Angel-Eyes and DRL?