E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Leave ipod on when you close your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Hi guys,

I picked up my car with the new ipod interface yesterday. But I don't know what to do with the ipod when I leave my car, because once the ingnition is off the ipod screen shows it's paused but stays on. When you lock the car it should shut off I think. But I couldn't check this because when you unlock the car all electrical systems, including the Ipod, are activated. Please help me guys, I don't want to end up with a flat battery.
I don't think it's logical that you have to manually hook up your ipod every time you get in your car....
Old 10-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='340512' date='Oct 1 2006, 07:06 AM
Hi guys,

I picked up my car with the new ipod interface yesterday. But I don't know what to do with the ipod when I leave my car, because once the ingnition is off the ipod screen shows it's paused but stays on. When you lock the car it should shut off I think. But I couldn't check this because when you unlock the car all electrical systems, including the Ipod, are activated. Please help me guys, I don't want to end up with a flat battery.
I don't think it's logical that you have to manually hook up your ipod every time you get in your car....

When you pause an iPod, it typically will shut itself down after a minute or two if there is no activity.

I do not have the iPod Interface.... but I use a Monster Charger with Dock Connector. When I turn off the car, the iPod pauses itself and shuts down after a minute. Then, when I come back to the car... I start the engine, hit play, and my music starts where it left off.

Your's should do the same.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Ermm, let's assume that the iPod absorbs 2W in power (in reality, in pause mode it's more like 0.1 W). With an 80Ah / 12 V battery, it's going to take 480 hours (nearly three weeks) to discharge it...

Plus, it will probably get itself into sleep mode in a few minutes.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Ok thx guys, I knew the ipod shuts down after you pause it for a couple of minutes, but I didn't know it would also work when it was linked to a system.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='340529' date='Oct 1 2006, 02:25 PM
Ok thx guys, I knew the ipod shuts down after you pause it for a couple of minutes, but I didn't know it would also work when it was linked to a system.

If it is like the dension kit i used to use, the BMW logo screen will disappear after a few minutes and then the iPOD will shut down as per usual. When you turn the ignition on again, the BMW logo will then reappear and continue as per normal.

I doubt that the iPod will drain the cars battery regardless as it is powered as per a CD changer off the head unit which goes into sleep mode after a few minutes.

How are you getting on with it?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='340552' date='Oct 1 2006, 11:08 AM
If it is like the dension kit i used to use, the BMW logo screen will disappear after a few minutes and then the iPOD will shut down as per usual. When you turn the ignition on again, the BMW logo will then reappear and continue as per normal.

I doubt that the iPod will drain the cars battery regardless as it is powered as per a CD changer off the head unit which goes into sleep mode after a few minutes.

How are you getting on with it?

You sure like saying "As per" don't you?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='340553' date='Oct 1 2006, 04:11 PM
You sure like saying "As per" don't you?

Now i re read it (as per usual) i notice that you are right (as per usual). Must admit, i could have worded it better...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Hi guys, I did the test with Ipod hanging out of the glove compartment. And indeed it shut off after a couple of secs when I locked the car.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

If I would have an Ipod and a Pitbull the repy would be yes
Old 10-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='340572' date='Oct 1 2006, 11:57 AM
Now i re read it (as per usual) i notice that you are right (as per usual). Must admit, i could have worded it better...

I'm was just making fun.... as per usual.

That's my job.

Quick Reply: Leave ipod on when you close your car?