E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I got my cables yesterday and installed the lights today.

There are two bulbs for the brake lights and on my right assembly, the inner bulb does not light up whereas on the left assembly, both bulbs light up. I changed the bulb but still nothing so to balance it out, I removed the inner bulb on the left assembly and of course, I'm getting a burnt bulb signal. I sent an email to Bruce to inquire but would anyone else possibly know the cause?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='480009' date='Oct 11 2007, 02:15 AM
I got my cables yesterday and installed the lights today.

There are two bulbs for the brake lights and on my right assembly, the inner bulb does not light up whereas on the left assembly, both bulbs light up. I changed the bulb but still nothing so to balance it out, I removed the inner bulb on the left assembly and of course, I'm getting a burnt bulb signal. I sent an email to Bruce to inquire but would anyone else possibly know the cause?

Thanks.
Have you tried to swap cables?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Contributors

No. I was worried I might short circuit something if I did that. The cables are marked Left and Right so I figured there has to be a reason for that. Do you think it'll be okay to swap?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='480012' date='Oct 11 2007, 02:28 AM
No. I was worried I might short circuit something if I did that. The cables are marked Left and Right so I figured there has to be a reason for that. Do you think it'll be okay to swap?
Maybe Bruce made a wrong marking on them, I don't think you'll have any problem with swap, the difference between them, is on taillight power (+), that's the reason why I think that maybe they are opositelly marked you can check them one in a time.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Contributors

I will try and report back but I don't think that will solve the issue. If both bulbs on the left work but only one on the right works, how would switching the cable make both bulbs on both sides work? The only thing I might find after switching them is that only one bulb will work on the left and now two bulbs on the right will work.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='480023' date='Oct 11 2007, 02:41 AM
I will try and report back but I don't think that will solve the issue. If both bulbs on the left work but only one on the right works, how would switching the cable make both bulbs on both sides work? The only thing I might find after switching them is that only one bulb will work on the left and now two bulbs on the right will work.
If your turning lights are working correctly, then the cables are correctly marked, so don't try further. Something else is going wrong.

Light module is smart enough, it will cut power when something wrong like short shircuit occurs, just disconnect the battery and connect again after 5 min.
It will be there again alive
Old 10-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

PLEASE do not swap the cables they are not swappable because of the position of the Negative cables. The entire plug is reversed on the LEFT and RIGHT.

Besides this fault which I'm still trying to think about how did you find the non Strobing cables? I sent out 3 cables last week and am waiting for feedback on all of them. Spig is sending me a V2 cable set so I can try upgrading his cables to V3 non strobing but I suspect they are stuck at the Royal Mail offices because of the strike!!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Contributors

No worries. I did not swap the cables. We did some testing with a voltmeter and found that the box on the right cable is malfunctioning. When we put in the bulb and tried braking for the first time, the light would go on but after that it would not work anymore. Every time we remove the bulb and reinstall it, it would work for the first application of the brake but then there's no power after that.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Eurocarfan, can you post the part numbers for the taillights that you bought?
thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Sorry man, I just reinstalled my stock lights so I can send back the cables to Bruce. The LCI lights are sitting at my shop so I don't have access to it right now for the part numbers.

For what it's worth, I got them as part of the group buy months ago that Alex.br set up. I think the vendor was EuroRev and these are the OEM lights for Europe (with amber blinkers). You can probably find the part number on www.realoem.com

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working