E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Latest Mod | Gloss Black Vinyl Roof & SL Trim Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Definitely wrap the rails. i didnt at first then went back and completed it later...it looks much better with the rails wrapped too. just make sure you take the time to follow the contours of the rails...meaning wrap the vinyl inside the inner lip of the rails so when you install them back on the car they look seamless...

for the shark fin....i had to just a really big piece of vinyl like 12" by 12" and used a lot of patience and heat to get it wrapped cleanly...

Originally Posted by luvmyride
Get Oracal 970RA w/Rapid Air
These guys are great to deal with! I'll be giving mine a shot tonight, can't wait!

BTW what about wrapping the rails?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 535i | 6MT | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1

Originally Posted by umichchris
Definitely wrap the rails. i didnt at first then went back and completed it later...it looks much better with the rails wrapped too. just make sure you take the time to follow the contours of the rails...meaning wrap the vinyl inside the inner lip of the rails so when you install them back on the car they look seamless...

for the shark fin....i had to just a really big piece of vinyl like 12" by 12" and used a lot of patience and heat to get it wrapped cleanly...
It looks amazing. I'm going to be doing this to my car too but I think I'll probably just pay someone to do it. If I do it myself and end up with a couple of bubbles or it didn't fit perfectly it would drive me crazy.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Members

Get Oracal 970RA w/Rapid Air
These guys are great to deal with! I'll be giving mine a shot tonight, can't wait!

BTW what about wrapping the rails?

This. but get 60x72, not 60x60. 60x60 came to about an inch short for me. had to patch :/ will probably be removing and putting new vinyl on at some point, now that I know what I'm doing.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

that 60x60 debacle is all my fault. i was able to wrap my roof w/ a 60x60 piece of vinyl but went back and got more material for the rails and the fin...

Originally Posted by bbuchho90
This. but get 60x72, not 60x60. 60x60 came to about an inch short for me. had to patch :/ will probably be removing and putting new vinyl on at some point, now that I know what I'm doing.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Members

that 60x60 debacle is all my fault. i was able to wrap my roof w/ a 60x60 piece of vinyl but went back and got more material for the rails and the fin...
no worries! I should've measured it The 60x60 on your roof had to be a tight fit though?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

it was kinda tight, but i used the heat gun over a large portion of the material to stretch it to fit...after doing that it went on w/o issue. but i didnt mention that or even type up a DIY....shame on me.....but to my credit i was super busy because i went straight from that to wraping my entire car w/ matte black and gloss black accents

no worries! I should've measured it The 60x60 on your roof had to be a tight fit though?
Attached Thumbnails Latest Mod | Gloss Black Vinyl Roof & SL Trim Wrap-photo-21-.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Contributors

it was kinda tight, but i used the heat gun over a large portion of the material to stretch it to fit...after doing that it went on w/o issue. but i didnt mention that or even type up a DIY....shame on me.....but to my credit i was super busy because i went straight from that to wraping my entire car w/ matte black and gloss black accents
Damn, I wish I would have known about the 60"x72" before I ordered it
I will give it a try, but it sounds like I won't have enough to do the rails with the 60"x60". Oh well, I can always do those later.
Pics will be posted later (Alpine White '08 535i)
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Members

yeah, see I didn't hit it with the heat gun until i hit behind the sunroof...plus i put on the gloss, and didn't want to stretch too much.

How's your matte black vinyl holding up? I'm contemplating wrapping mine for the winter here. Might be able to get the car wrapped for like $800 professionally, so not too sure if i'll be doing it myself. Love how yours turned out though! Scale of 1 to 10, how hard/difficult/time consuming?

Damn, I wish I would have known about the 60"x72" before I ordered it
I will give it a try, but it sounds like I won't have enough to do the rails with the 60"x60". Oh well, I can always do those later.
Pics will be posted later (Alpine White '08 535i)
actually you should have plenty for the rails. the 60 is PLENTY wide, you'll have a good...oh...4" on either side? for over hang.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Contributors

actually you should have plenty for the rails. the 60 is PLENTY wide, you'll have a good...oh...4" on either side? for over hang.
Yup, I did have enough for the rails, but it didn't want to stretch much lengthwise. I ended up overworking it and developed a hole near the shark fin . I may order the 72" and try it again, but the sunroof is a SOB!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Members

Yup, I did have enough for the rails, but it didn't want to stretch much lengthwise. I ended up overworking it and developed a hole near the shark fin . I may order the 72" and try it again, but the sunroof is a SOB!

What about the sunroof? Didnt cause any problems for me

Quick Reply: Latest Mod | Gloss Black Vinyl Roof & SL Trim Wrap