E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Laser Detector/Jammers

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I just installed my Belltronics Radar/Laser system this weekend.

I did not install the rear laser detector/jammer as it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb on the license plate. To me it seemed more like a flag for a ticket than the benefit from it.

I guess it would be a little less noticable if I put a black license plate on, but I think you could still see it fairly easily.

One of the beauties of the system is that, to the observer there is no system.

Opinion - how much do you think the rear laser buys you?

In CA, I have only seen a few laser guns and they where shooting cars coming towards them instead of away and I still have my doubts as to whether the systems (any of them) really work to jam the laser and avoid a ticket. Since they are used so infrequently, it is hard to test.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by jsal' post='289822' date='May 30 2006, 12:54 PM
I just installed my Belltronics Radar/Laser system this weekend.

I did not install the rear laser detector/jammer as it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb on the license plate. To me it seemed more like a flag for a ticket than the benefit from it.

I guess it would be a little less noticable if I put a black license plate on, but I think you could still see it fairly easily.

One of the beauties of the system is that, to the observer there is no system.

Opinion - how much do you think the rear laser buys you?

In CA, I have only seen a few laser guns and they where shooting cars coming towards them instead of away and I still have my doubts as to whether the systems (any of them) really work to jam the laser and avoid a ticket. Since they are used so infrequently, it is hard to test.
Yes they do work! In Ct. they shoot you from every which way. One of the newer tricks is that they sit on the top of an entrance ramp and shoot you as you are going by. They then have their own private little drag strip to get up to speed and they are on you without much warning. They do get really pissed if they see your jammer though. My last ticket before installation was $300.00 so they are worth it!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by beemerdreamer' post='289837' date='May 30 2006, 10:33 AM
Yes they do work! In Ct. they shoot you from every which way. One of the newer tricks is that they sit on the top of an entrance ramp and shoot you as you are going by. They then have their own private little drag strip to get up to speed and they are on you without much warning. They do get really pissed if they see your jammer though. My last ticket before installation was $300.00 so they are worth it!
I have heard that they will do that from the manufacturer (shoot from the on ramp or overpass).

I take it that you have been able to jam them?

Where did you install your rear jammer - on the license plate frame? How noticable is it? I just think if I have one on there and a highway patrol pulls behind me, he will see it then figure on giving me some type of ticket.

I should have gotten a black car - it really stands out on the silver.