E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

KW's Helper springs removed on an XI

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

If you've seen my post regarding suspension options you'd know i'm all about Kw V3's I total love them for xi model BMW's for adjustment and superior ride quality. But recently I've found something to complain about, fronts don't go low enough. I was faced with this problem with my new wheels.. only option was to remove the helper springs.

I'm making this post because I couldn't find any info on anyone doing this before.. after much debate with my installer because I had concerns about ride quality, I did it this morning..

I gained about 1.25 inches in fender drop. i just removed the helper springs and left the adjustment collars where they were as they were bottomed out..
Now the real question is hows it ride? immediate driving revealed a bouncy firmer ride not horrible firmness just firmer than it was . I was soft with helper spring because i prefer stock ride feel on this car. And was finding it too soft lately so firmness is not a problem.

So now I'm bouncing over bumps.. So I came home and made a compression adjustment and its better so I'm about 10 clicks away from giving my Mom a ride to get the ultimate approval. This is about a 30 mile review I'll update if anyone is really interested.

bottom line helper springs are not need in my opinion ..

Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Car

Where is your beginning measurement - where the floor meets the tire, or where the rim meets the tire?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

I was aprox 1.25inches up... so 25" to fender.. and yes before you could see top of tire..
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Platingrau Metallic 2009 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by TLO03
If you've seen my post regarding suspension options you'd know i'm all about Kw V3's I total love them for xi model BMW's for adjustment and superior ride quality. But recently I've found something to complain about, fronts don't go low enough. I was faced with this problem with my new wheels.. only option was to remove the helper springs.

I'm making this post because I couldn't find any info on anyone doing this before.. after much debate with my installer because I had concerns about ride quality, I did it this morning..

I gained about 1.25 inches in fender drop. i just removed the helper springs and left the adjustment collars where they were as they were bottomed out..
Now the real question is hows it ride? immediate driving revealed a bouncy firmer ride not horrible firmness just firmer than it was . I was soft with helper spring because i prefer stock ride feel on this car. And was finding it too soft lately so firmness is not a problem.

So now I'm bouncing over bumps.. So I came home and made a compression adjustment and its better so I'm about 10 clicks away from giving my Mom a ride to get the ultimate approval. This is about a 30 mile review I'll update if anyone is really interested.

bottom line helper springs are not need in my opinion ..
Do you have a link to that suspension options for the xi post handy? I was doing mad searches but can't really find the answers I was looking for. Btw, the ride looks awesome
Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

https://5series.net/forums/topic/951...nsions-for-xi/
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Platingrau Metallic 2009 535i xDrive

lol I've even replied to that thread about rims I put on my ride. Didn't make the connection Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi Stock for the moment!!

I wish I could get that low in the front, would never make it up my driveway. Ride looks better & better everytime. How is the handling?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

To be honest it was a little hairy going to bimmerfest because i had not completed my adjustment it was kinda of stupid of me.. But since then i've had my buddy dial it in and its mint. back to my stock like ride. and no adverse symptoms of the helper spring removal.. Handles mint.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Members

so you took the helper springs off just the front or the front and back ?? Im about to order v3s for my xi and wanna be able to tuck tire so this is a huge + for me.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

E61 kit dose not come wit rear helpers.. Wagon or sedan?

I thought you were getting cks kit or waiting on parts..

And this thread is old I forgot to update , my adjustments failed . But my installer did some drive and adjust testing and has been mint ever since..

Last edited by TLO03; 04-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: KW's Helper springs removed on an XI