E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

key fob troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525M Sports Tourer 3.0D

Is there any way of charging a key fob without leaving the fob in the ignition.
My fob is a none rechangable battery type and does not get any type of charge from the car.
My car is a M5 525 tourer
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Q: Is there any way of charging a key fob without leaving the fob in the ignition?

A: My fob is a none rechangable battery type and does not get any type of charge from the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEkU-X-B14
Old 09-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Members

The above video is relevant only if the car has comfort access system (key less entry/start). Key less equipped cars have a different key then standard smart keys. One main difference is that the keyless key has a removable battery/cap.

Below you have two pics, the first one is of a standard key and the second one is from a keyless entry vehicle, you can see the battery location pretty clearly.
Attached Thumbnails key fob troubles-standard-key.jpg   key fob troubles-keyless-key.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by zagato
The above video is relevant only if the car has comfort access system (key less entry/start). Key less equipped cars have a different key then standard smart keys. One main difference is that the keyless key has a removable battery/cap.

Below you have two pics, the first one is of a standard key and the second one is from a keyless entry vehicle, you can see the battery location pretty clearly.
Thanks for your reply but as I first stated the key fob is the none opening type.
Do you know anything about induction charging.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Members

BMW says that on the standard smart key there is no way to replace the battery. Well, there is a way I've done it on my first e60 that had the "diamond" shaped key. I also helped a couple of friends do the same thing on a smart key, and I will probably do it again once my battery dies on the smart key.

The down side is that you will 99% "kill" your original key fob. You will have to buy a replacement fob off ebay or local key shop (which are not OEM, you cand find oem quality like).

You have to cut your key open (with an exact-o knife), replace the battery and swap the electronics into the new fob. I've heard stories of people not damaging the key in the cutting process.. I for one always damaged the plastic fob. The fob is glued in place, so no other way to open it.

I know it doesn't sound good, but in some cases it's better then spending over 300$ for a key replacement. This will cost 30$ tops.

I can give you more info if your interested in doing this.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

BMW says that on the standard smart key there is no way to replace the battery. Well, there is a way I've done it on my first e60 that had the "diamond" shaped key. I also helped a couple of friends do the same thing on a smart key, and I will probably do it again once my battery dies on the smart key.

The down side is that you will 99% "kill" your original key fob. You will have to buy a replacement fob off ebay or local key shop (which are not OEM, you cand find oem quality like).

You have to cut your key open (with an exact-o knife), replace the battery and swap the electronics into the new fob. I've heard stories of people not damaging the key in the cutting process.. I for one always damaged the plastic fob. The fob is glued in place, so no other way to open it.

I know it doesn't sound good, but in some cases it's better then spending over 300$ for a key replacement. This will cost 30$ tops.

Won't you have to cut open the new FOB to put in the electronics?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Won't you have to cut open the new FOB to put in the electronics?
Nope, the replacement fobs that I am talking about are held together by clips and you can reopen them. I think a have a spare fob somewhere, I'll look for it and take a couple of pics so that you get the idea.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: | 2010 535i x-drive | Monaco Blue Metallic | Cream Beige Dakota | 6 Spd Manual | Sport | Cold Weather | Premium | HUD | Navi | Logic 7 |

Hey Zagato,

Just want to let you know that my buddy and I have done this with his keyfob (the diamond shape). We followed a video on youtube on how to change and it works (a million times better than not having one lol) the thing that you have to watch out for is when closing or sealing it not to depress any of the keyfob buttons. We realized that we killed the battery on the fob very quickly because of this.

Just a word of caution. Just be careful and it's easy.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Members

Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Members

Sounds like An interesting alternative.
Please give me more info on how to obtain the kit